Brewer Fanatic

Inexpensive bars near Times Square

mtrebs
I'm going to be headed to New York City and staying in Times Square for a long weekend over Memorial Day. Does anyone know any "inexpensive" bars within walking distance? We don't want to spend $20 on a pitcher of beer if we can avoid it. We're also looking for any place to buy cheap beer/liquor to take back to our hotel. Anyone know of any places? Thanks!

It's been a few years, but http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/ was good. Also, (warning - unsolicited restaurant advice forthcoming :) ) Frankie and Johnnies' Steakhouse isn't cheap, but the steaks were awesome. Also, I don't remember the name, but there was a diner near the Marriott Marquis that had a great breakfast for a reasonable price (for that area).

If you are near Times Square you must go to Virgil's Bar-B-Que. Best. Wings. Ever. If you've never had smoked barbecue wings... you'll never go back to Buffalo-style. Tip: order the wings at the bar as they are cheaper there than at a table. They have some happy hour beer specials for the cost-conscious. I believe $20 could get you a big order of wings and two beers during Happy Hour at the bar.

If you are looking for cheap drink options, try the Zagat guide. You can filter by neighborhood (Times Square) and it will tell you average food/drink prices.

I really wish I could remember the name but there was a pretty good burger place we went to a few summers ago. It was within blocks of the Art Museum Central Park, and Times Square. They had a line out the door, but the wait was well worth it.

The reason we went there was cuz it was featured on travel channel or food network. I'll try to look into this and get back to you, unless someone else knows what.

The reason we went there was cuz it was featured on travel channel or food network. I'll try to look into this and get back to you, unless someone else knows what.

I think it's called the Shake Shack or something along those lines.

http://www.obriensnyc.com/

O'Brien's Pub is a pretty solid place. It's super laid back and very friendly. It's a great place to escape the crazyness of time square, even though it's just right around the corner. If you like the laid back irish pub type places, I highly recomend this spot. I have not been there late at night but during the afternoon/ early eve, it's a perfect setup.

I really wish I could remember the name but there was a pretty good burger place we went to a few summers ago. It was within blocks of the Art Museum Central Park, and Times Square. They had a line out the door, but the wait was well worth it.

Was it Shake Shack?

Archived