Brewer Fanatic

Jackie Robinson Day: Cool Tradition or Overkill?

There was a pretty good debate going on this weekend at a local sports bar. Thoughts? I think remembering Robinson is really important, as the pre-Robinson era is a black mark on the sport that MLB eventually corrected, but I might think the overall day is a bit overblown. Then again, I never lived through the era, so I'm not one to judge...

I don't think the importance of Jackie Robinson can be underestimated, and I wouldn't use the word "overkill" because that isn't really a problem. An annual day to commemorate his contributions is definitely in order.

I do think that the methods of observing his entry into the big leagues can be examined, though. Certainly, there should be a pre-game observance. And while doing something with the uniforms makes sense, I agree with hawing that every player wearing #42 gets old. Putting the number on a jersey patch or caps would work for me, as would banners or special artwork on the grass (behind home plate or in center field).

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't remember Robinson as a player as he retired a year or two prior to my baseball cognizance. But he truly was a significant figure that transcended sports. I don't think the number he wore means anything though. We honor athletes and what we do on the field by retiring their numbers, but since what Robinson did affected society in general, the number thing seems weak and trivial.

Everyone should remember what set the stage not just for Robinson but for what happened since. That was World War 2. It wasn't until we fought the guy who turned racial hatred and prejudice into the genocide of 6 million people and soldiers saw the irony of a segregated US Military fighting to stop it. The desegregation of all society and sports was inevitable from that time on. Robinson bore the brunt of those still fighting it and undoubtedly that took enormous courage. It still would have happened but he speeded up the process with his courage and restraint.

He deserves better than a contrived "day" though.

I personally wish that the scope was expanded a little bit to be more of a recognition of the struggle for racial integration than a whole day solely focused on Robinson. Jackie Robinson was obviously an iconic figure in baseball and American history that deserves to be recognized in a big way but I worry that we lose out on the some of the stories from the negro leagues and other black players who followed shortly after in Robinson's footsteps.

I think it's neat, although the numbers are a bit annoying. An arm-band might be better, along with some type of pre-game ceremony.

When I watched the Ken Burns' Baseball series last summer, I really enjoyed their coverage of the Negro leagues. I would love to know what guys like Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, and Rube Foster, among others, could have done in the majors. That is, besides Paige pitching 3 serviceable innings for the A's at age 59.

I think it is a cool tradition.... there are a lot of kids watching MLB, Jackie Robinson Day helps teach them about an incredible story of perseverance and achievement in the face of adversity
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm not a fan of all the 42s on the field, but I think Jackie & Rachel Robinson are actually under-celebrated in the country. Their impact on the culture cannot be forgotten. Their story needs to be told again and again. They were heroes, while others might not have been.

If we don't honor history, then it just fades away.

I would go along with others that think honoring Jackie Robinson can really only be a good thing. I would love to look at other African Americans that helped pave the way as well as players of other nationalities on this day as well. I say that only a baseball fan that would love the additional knowledge it might provide.

All these different nationalities/races have changed the game to what it is today. It would be cool to look back at how they changed it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Kind of ironic that they go to great lengths to celebrate integration of baseball yet the number of African Americans in the majors is the lowest it's been since the early days of integration:

"The African-American population in baseball this season has plummeted to 8.05%, less than half the 17.25% in 1959 when the Boston Red Sox became the last team to integrate their roster, 12 years after Robinson broke baseball's color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

It's a dramatic decline from 1975, when 27% of rosters were African-American. In 1995, the percentage was 19%."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-04-15/baseball-jackie-robinson/54302108/1?csp=34sports&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomSports-TopStories+%28Sports+-+Top+Stories%29

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I can see why people aren't in love with it, but I'm okay with all of the 42s and it's the least we can do, in my opinion. Plus, it seems like a decent amount of players really appreciate the impact of the move every year. I think it was a tremendous idea when Griffey first inquired about it.

I agree with JimH5, history is easily forgotten and I would think there are a lot of younger fans of the game who understand very little of the impact Robinson had. Moments like yesterday provide a great avenue for teaching people about the significance.

Personally I had long since appreciated the history of the Negro Leagues and read a lot about it years ago, but it was only recently that I really understood the breadth of what Robinson meant to the entire country. I watched a tremendous special on MLB Network called "Letters from Jackie: The Private Thoughts of Jackie Robinson" which discussed Robinson's impact, not only to the game, but culturally long after baseball. It centers around a pen-pal relationship he had with a boy in Sheboygan, WI of all places.

When you hear stories like Davey Nelson shared before the game and the inspiration Jackie Robinson provided, you realize this day needs to be celebrated and remembered. It may have been baseball's most valuable contribution to American society, and a reversal of it's greatest injustice. Over the top is fine with me, I'm all for it.

Kind of ironic that they go to great lengths to celebrate integration of baseball yet the number of African Americans in the majors is the lowest it's been since the early days of integration:

"The African-American population in baseball this season has plummeted to 8.05%, less than half the 17.25% in 1959 when the Boston Red Sox became the last team to integrate their roster, 12 years after Robinson broke baseball's color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

It's a dramatic decline from 1975, when 27% of rosters were African-American. In 1995, the percentage was 19%."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-04-15/baseball-jackie-robinson/54302108/1?csp=34sports&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomSports-TopStories+%28Sports+-+Top+Stories%29

Why is this an issue?

What about the percentage of Asian players? What about the percentage of Europeans or Australians? What about Native Americans or Aboriginals?

The best(ish) players make the majors. The fact that whatever percentage of them are whatever race/ethnicity is random and is more a reflection of demographics than anything.

It's an issue because the sport has sort of become self-segregated in the US.

Inner city/poor kids no longer play baseball growing up, and it's been that way for about 20 years now. You get the best players by having everyone playing the game from a young age. If this trend continues it (fewer and fewer players playing the game) it will hurt the game as a whole.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

It's an issue because the sport has sort of become self-segregated in the US.

Inner city/poor kids no longer play baseball growing up, and it's been that way for about 20 years now. You get the best players by having everyone playing the game from a young age. If this trend continues it (fewer and fewer players playing the game) it will hurt the game as a whole.

You can say the same thing for white kids too though. Baseball just isn't popular with American youth (regardless of color) anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Why is this an issue?

What about the percentage of Asian players? What about the percentage of Europeans or Australians? What about Native Americans or Aboriginals?

The best(ish) players make the majors. The fact that whatever percentage of them are whatever race/ethnicity is random and is more a reflection of demographics than anything.

Because there is a rich history of black participation in the sport (as opposed to aborigine). Kind of sad to see it fade away especially because so many black kids are drawn to a sport with very rigid physical standards (i.e. you pretty much have to be tall). You can more of less have any body type and play baseball (except maybe the body type of Gilbert Brown).

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Because there is a rich history of black participation in the sport (as opposed to aborigine).

I would say there's a pretty rich tradition of white participation as well.

I wish people would accept that kids just don't care for baseball anymore and stop trying to turn it into a race issue. I would like to know the percentage of Caucasians in MLB now compared to 20 years ago. I would bet the decrease is the same as it is for African Americans. The increase of Hispanic, and to a much lesser extent Asian, players has made the game more diverse ethnically.

The percentage of white players is almost exactly the same as it was 15 years ago.

Kid's, overwhelmingly have more choices these days (and are sometimes even restricted in those choices --- pick one sport and play it year round) so there will probably be fewer baseball players as a whole as compared to 20 years ago.

I think the problem is an economics issue and a space issue as much as anything. I want the game to be enjoyed by everyone. Have you been to Miller Park? You can count on one hand the number of African Americans you'll see at a game most times. I think that's a shame that kids are not being exposed to the game, in school, on the playground, in the backyard, or at a pro-game.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I would say that baseball, unlike almost any other sport is a game passed down from father to son. With fewer and fewer fathers involved in kids lives, baseball doesnt survive. Divorce rate hovers near 50% nationally and the number of children born out of wedlock in the African American community is unbelievable.

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/minority2.png

The percentage of non-hispanic white players has pretty much hovered around 60% over the last 20 years. We've seen a major increase in the number of hispanic players in MLB, and a major decrease in the number of African-American players in MLB.

I do think that among pretty much all demographics, baseball is seeing a decline in popularity among youth. I don't have much to back that up, but I imagine that the percentage of kids in HS right now that would list baseball as their #1 sport is much lower than it was 20 years ago. I think that baseball tends to be the #2 sport behind football for a lot of kids these days.

Archived