Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Mini-Marathon 9/22/12

Dnye23

http://www.race-brewers.com/

http://localtvwiti.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/2012-mini-marathon-course-map-final-lowres1.jpg?w=400

Never made it to any of their 5K events, but this course alone looks to be very enjoyable. Starts in the Miller Park parking lot, then up past Saz's, through the Miller Valley, past the Michell Park Domes, Harley Davidson Museum, and Potawatomi. The finish takes you through Miller Park onto the warning track and back to the parking lot. The group that runs the Madison Mini is in charge of this one, and they put on great events. Proceeds go to the MACC Fund. Price goes up after April 30th, but for $65 I'm sold.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

So, how feasible is it for this guy to go from absolutely no running to a half marathon in 5 months?

I'm not terribly out of shape, but it's been a lazy month and a half for me and I've never been much of a fan running itself. I could probably (maybe) hoof out 2 miles before dropping in the shape I'm in at the moment. But this does intrigue me.

Community Moderator

Grrr, events like this make me wish I still lived in Wisconsin.

The key to going from no running training to a half-marathon is to avoid injuries. Get your running form right first and then add miles later. You only have to get up to about 9 in training to finish 13 on race day.

I'm totally there for this. Really glad I hadn't signed up for the Fox Cities Marathon yet, as that's the same weekend. Seems like it would hurt the turnout by scheduling this on the same weekend, but I Tweeted Trenni about it and she said that was the only weekend available in that time frame due to the schedule.

My initial thought that it would be the same wekend as Al's Run, but that's not the case this year. Sounds like a potential conflict in the future, however.

@William - I've been a road racer for thirty years, and a pet peeve of mine is all these online training programs encouraging people to participate in long distance events with a short timeframe training plan. Try some 5K or 8K races in different weather conditions to prep you for a longer race.

Looking at the website there's no race day packet pick-up. That's really disappointing for someone like me who lives 90 minutes away from Milwaukee. This means I'll have to drive down the day before solely for that, then drive back down the next day.

The key to going from no running training to a half-marathon is to avoid injuries. Get your running form right first and then add miles later. You only have to get up to about 9 in training to finish 13 on race day.

Agreed. Take it slowly to begin your training and properly stretch before each time you run. And agree with Jimbo, find a 5K close to you and start from there. It will give you good feel of running in a crowd and how you can pace yourself. There are good tools out there (great info on runnersworld.com and their forums).

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

The Sausage Race is not displaced by this half marathon. This year's Sausage 5K Run/Walk is July 28.

First couple Sausage Races were great. You ran inside Miller Park a few hours before an afternoon game. Sometimes a few coaches and players were outside in the dugout watching, Uke gave the prerace speech. Then after the race you went back to your car and tailgated for a few hours and went to the afternoon game.

Then in the 3rd year they changed it to race in morning, free ticket for the game that night. So you had to drive back to your house after the race, then drive back for the game that night. Sort of killed the tailgating aspect.

Now I think in recent years you get a voucher to a game that you pick at a later date. Do you even go in the stadium anymore? Maybe I'll do it again this year. I still have sour grapes over missing a cool a trophy back in college by a few seconds. They are little Sausage Race dolls pretty cool and original compared to the standard race medals at most places.

Archived