Brewer Fanatic

2012 Supplemental 1st Round picks

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've seen in a couple spots that we have the 38th draft pick as compensation for Fielder. At first, I thought the order wasn't set because FA was still happening, but now I see we still have the 38th pick:

Supplemental 1st Round

32 Minnesota Twins Compensation for the Rockies signing Michael Cuddyer, modified Type A .

33 San Diego Padres Compensation for the Marlins signing Heath Bell, modified Type A.

34 Oakland Athletics Compensation for the Twins signing Josh Willingham, modified Type A.

35 New York Mets Compensation for the Marlins signing Jose Reyes, Type A.

36 St. Louis Cardinals Compensation for the Angels signing Albert Pujols, Type A.

37 Boston Red Sox Compensation for the Phillies signing Jonathan Papelbon, Type A.

38 Milwaukee Brewers Compensation for the Tigers signing Prince Fielder, Type A.

So how is it that Cuddyer, Bell, Willingham, Reyes, and Papelbon all rank higher than Fielder for the compensation round?

monkeyman's got it. The comp picks are distributed by free agent type (A vs. B) to the teams that finished with the worst record. The Elias ranking only comes into play when determining if a team gets the signing team's first, second or third (etc.) pick, which of course didn't help a couple of years ago when the Yankees signed both Teixeira and Sabathia.

This is a good year to have the extra picks. Last year was a great year to have that extra high first round pick and it turned into Jed Bradley. Hopefully the 27th and 38th picks can turn into some impact bats!

Archived