Brewer Fanatic

Interview with Natalie Niekro...very candid discussion of her father's death, and her work to help others...

splitterpfj

Thanks, Craig, believe me, Natalie is every bit as impressive as she sounds.

Natalie is determined to reach EVERYONE with increased knowledge and understanding of brain aneurysms. Her dad was fine one day, and gone the next, but the condition is 100% treatable if detected.

In just a few years, the Joe Niekro Foundation has raised, and distributed more than two million dollars. As it turns out, there was one more star in the Niekro family who never had a baseball card.

interesting read. I was a bit surprised when Niekro (Lance) retired suddenly, given that he had just converted to pitching. I remember teasing him in the Fall League that he had the family trademark. Each day he warmed up by throwing the knuckler, and guys couldn't catch it.

Thanks, DHonks, and kalle8.

DH, I agree, Lance had a shot as a pitcher, as Natalie said, his mind drifted away from baseball when Joe died. It took him a little while to get back to the game, but he's coaching now, which is a great thing!

There's a young woman out there who learned the knuckleball from Joe, too, she's pitching in high school, at an age when most girls have been steered to softball.

Archived