Brewer Fanatic

Never buy Onkyo Receivers!

panthernick
Sorry, have an ax to grind. Bought a new Onkyo 7.1 surround sound system. Spent a fair amount of money. Now the receiver has been cutting out. Went online and this is a known issue and its under warranty. Great, I will send it in to get fixed. Then they told me (after some rude customer service) that I had to pay for the shipping. Sorry, if you have a known issue on a crappy product I shouldn't have to pay to get it fixed. I probably won't send it in and will just buy a quality receiver now. Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware and cost Onkyo a few bucks in the process since there product is crap. Rant over.

That sucks. I've had an Onkyo 5.1 receiver for over 7 years now that works great, although it hasn't necessitated that much use in recent years.

Conversely, I bought a Pioneer 5.1 receiver for its HDMI switching capabilities in January and had the power supply blow out just last week during normal use. Gotta take it in to a shop in West Allis for an in-warranty repair.

I don't know where you bought it or if you are near an American TV but they used to be authorized to repair a lot of the models they sold and I think they sell Onkyo. I had a Denon receiver in college that lost output to one set of speakers, I took in to American and they fixed it in Madison for free for me since it was still under warranty.

Over the years I had them also repair a speaker which stopped working and the charge was minimal.

Thanks for the tip MJL! I'm about 8 blocks from an American TV, but 8 miles from the shop in Stally... They're not listed on Pioneer's website as an authorized service center, but I was able to confirm that they are.

Archived