Brewer Fanatic

Impact Bats

As I look at the Brewers system I am really excited about our pitching. The scouting department deserves so praise for finding guys like Nelson and Thornburg to fit with guys like Peralta, Jungmann, and Bradley. There are other exciting arms too with Lopez, Bucci, Scarpetta, Rogers (one can dream), etc

However what seems to be lack in the system is impact bats. We pick 27,28 and 38 so we have a great chance to get some quality bats. My questions is who are some of the bats that could be there around the time we pick? I know there is another thread entitled is it too early to talk about the draft but I am just looking for some bats to keep an eye on. I would love to grab 2 bats with those 3 picks

Ok, went through the "Is it too early... 2012 draft thread" quickly & came up with the following:

Alex Bregman, Jesse Winker (post #37, colbyjack)

David Dahl, Courtney Hawkins, Gavin Cecchini, Tanner Rahier, Carson Kelly, Rio Ruiz, Stephen Piscotty, Jeremy Baltz (#40, cj)

Nick Williams (#42, cj)

Adam Brett Walker (#53, cj)

Richie Shaffer, Travis Jankowski, Brandon Thomas, Jeremy Baltz (#69, cj)

Addison Russell, Jesmuel Valentin Diaz, Lewis Brinson, Albert Almora, Duane Underwood (#70, nate82)

Joey Gallo (#81, Bnowell4evr... response from cj in #83)

Trey Williams, Courtney Hawkins, Lewis Brinson (#105, narwhalattack)

Kenny Diekroeger (#109, narwhalattack)

Victor Roache (#111, paul253)

Keep in mind that some of these guys were also discussed in the context that they likely wouldn't be available at the Brewers' picks, but I didn't want to leave anyone out. Also, I can't guarantee everyone would agree that all of these guys are impact bats or potential impact bats... but these are the names that were discussed that I was able to find.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Rio Ruiz and Alex Bregman both have been injured this spring and aren't likely to be in the mix for the first round, and at this point in time appear more likely to go to college.

Duane Underwood's ceiling is much higher as a pitcher.

Victor Roache broke his wrist earlier this spring, although may return in time to reclaim his mid first-round status.

Adam Brett Walker has really struggled, and isn't a likely first-round pick.

Courtney Hawkins, Gavin Cecchini, Richie Shaffer and Albert Almora are very unlikely to last to the Brewers picks.

Two prep hitters that have been swinging the bat well that aren't mentioned above are Mitch Nay and Avery Romero. Nay compares favorably to Nolan Arenado, who the Brewers were all over a couple of years ago, while Romero can really swing it, and may be able to make the switch from MIF to C.

Texas A&M OF Tyler Naquin continues to make a strong case to be taken in the first round.

David Rawnsley is going to have a mock draft that hits the PG site on Tuesday.

Adam Brett Walker has really struggled, and isn't a likely first-round pick.

Was he ever really a first round pick? I was thinking he was more of a 2nd rounder or a fringe supplemental pick.

We had Adam Brett Walker ranked No. 36 in our preseason rankings of the top 500 draft-eligible prospects, so if he were enjoying a stronger season you could argue that he could go anywhere from the late first to early second.

So in that context, as it relates to the Brewers first 3 picks, while he may have been a realistic option at one point in time, I think it's safe to say that he no longer is. And keep in mind this also comes in response to the players that were already mentioned as possibilities in a different thread.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=6471

I am beginning to think it is necessary for the Brewers to use all three of their first round picks on position players. I realize there is the whole best player available philosophy, but with the early success of guys like Thornburg, Peralta, Bradley, Gagnon, Nelson, Ross, and Jungmann the Brewers can afford to pass on pitching early on. The lack of legitimate hitting prospects at the lower levels of the system is borderline scary.

As much fun as it has been to watching several of the Brewers pitching prospects enjoy strong starts to the season, we've been in this position before as fans watching teams that seemingly had a strong group of promising starters. I don't mean to be a wet blanket on this subject, but you can never project/predict what pitchers are going to do, although you can get exponentially more excited about them the closer they get to the big leagues.

That said, I do think impact bats are a bigger priority based on need, but we also know need is not, or at least should not be a consideration when it comes to the draft, unless everything else is even. Premium positional prospects at premium defensive positions such as SS and CF would be ideal, again, if all things are even.

I'd be more ok with a higher ceiling HS pitcher with one of the top three picks (think Lopez or Odorizzi) than a mid ceiling college pitcher (Arnett, Heckathorn). So if we do go pitcher I hope we look more at ceiling than how fast they can move through the system. That being said, I do hope we take three position players first. My absolute dream would be a shortstop, a third basemen and a catcher, though a toolsy centerfielder would be good too.

paul253, I never was excited about a Big Ten pitcher, but Heckathorn was throwing 97-98 in college and was considered a big arm.

I always like HS arms early, and lots of bats. We need bats. We've had 4 or 5 pitching heavy drafts in a row now, and it's showing. We are lacking legitimate prospects at several spots.

• 4 weeks later...
Hate to say it but this is a crossroads draft for the Brewers. IMO its is paramount to add impact bats in this draft not only impact bats but probably collage impact bats that can catch up with the pitching that is starting to knock on the AAA door step. My fear is if we fail to land quality bats it may be a long rebuilding process with so many high value potential free agents this year.

The only college impact bats that I'm even a little intrigued by with the Brewers first 3 picks of who would be available are Victor Roache and Tyler Naquin. It's hard to ignore Roache's power potential even though he was hurt this season. And Naquin seems like more of your natural hitter who is having an excellent season - he looks pretty comfortable in the box. I think I would be OK with one of those guys perhaps (probably not both though), but am not completely sold.

At one point a while ago it seemed like Richie Shaffer might be there with the Brewers picks, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

There are other college hitters who might be worth a look with the Brewers' first 3 picks, but none that seem like impact bats.

I was going over BA's top 100 and I wanted to ask about a few players that may be around for the Brewers picks.

Addison Russell- Can he stay at SS and will he make it to #27?

Joey Gallo - Can he stay at 3B?

Stryker Trahan - Can he stay at C?

I doubt the Brewers would be able to get all three of them but is it reasonable to hope for two of them? Unless of course all three are destined for the outfield. Milwaukee really needs infielders.

At the college level, what about Roache or Piscotty? Are they legitimate targets who are likely to be around when Milwaukee picks?

Also BA lists Trey Williams all the way down at #99 overall. Is there any chance he could make it to our 2nd round pick?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-preview/2012/2613410.html

Paul, I don't care about IF/OF right now. We need bats. It's pathetic how our most exciting guys are Gindl (panned consistently by experts), Schafer (seems adequate, offensively), Morris (can't get on base), and Osuna and Arcia (rookie ball). We need some bats no matter where they play. We've had 4 or 5 pitcher heavy drafts, so this was a predictable problem. The good news is we could probably trade any of about 8 pitching prospects and get legit hitters in return

Well that's true and I agree. But they all fall in line, according to the rankings at least, with where we are picking. I'd be willing to reach just a tad for a position of need (for instance if you rank Player A #25 and he's an outfielder and you rank Player B #28 but he's a shortstop I'd be ok picking player B). I'd also be willing to pick Russell a bit higher if he can stay at shortstop and Strahan if he can stay at catcher because finding quality players at those positions is so much harder than finding a quality outfielder.

Overall I agree with the best player available DHonks but I am willing to make just a few small adjustments to it. I was just wondering about those specific players though because they fit in line with our needs and appear like they may amongst the best players available when we pick.

Archived