Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wed. 4/11 - Stars drop matinee, but Thornburg shines

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Michael Fiers at Oklahoma City (Astros), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Tyler Thornburg at Birmingham (White Sox), 10:45 AM pre-game, 11:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

I-Phone friendly audio link

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: A total of 24 Stars' games (in Jacksonville and Tennessee) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: RHP Jimmy Nelson at Lakeland (Tigers), 5:30 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio for this series.

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: RHP Matt Miller at Burlington (Athletics), 6:10 PM pre-game, 6:30 gametime; expect RHP Jacob Barnes to see multiple innings as part of a tandem effort

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and 24 Stars' road games (one Helena series this summer, too).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

For those who noted that Nashville reliever Donovan Hand exited Tuesday's game after a comebacker line drive, Jeff Hem indicated it was apparently precautionary but off his pitching arm -- ouch.

This is a DVR alert a day in advance! Thursday's Timber Rattlers home game vs. Peoria (6:35 gametime) will be on Time Warner Cable Sports 32. They almost always avoid scheduling opposite Milwaukee's big leaguers, and avoid them Thursday as well.

That's another really sweet pitching rotation tonight -- it's pretty much an everyday mound lovefest these days. Position players -- step up, because if you do, you'll really have a chance to stand out in this organization...

You get a Huntsville appetizer before the Crew today, then follow-up with Nashville and Wisconsin feeds tonight. If you're up for it, approx. 12 hours of continuous coverage!

To get tweets as to when the Link Report has been technically "completed" with available links, as well as to know when the new day's Report has been posted, please follow @Mass_Haas on Twitter.

Final: Birmingham (White Sox) 4, Huntsville 2

Huntsville Box Score

This is getting to be a familiar theme for the Stars, they rally to take the lead only to give it back late in the game. Tyler Thornburg was fantastic and now that Odorizzi is gone I have no problem admitting he is my favorite pitching prospect in the system. Tyler threw 87 pitches, 59 of them were strikes, and a velocity report from Alex caused a flurry of activity in the Velocity Thread. Thornburg's final line 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB, and 6SO... and he gifted that 1 run in the first inning. Darren Byrd came on with the Stars leading 2-1 in the 7th and knocked the Barons down in order but it all fell apart in the 8th. Neither or Byrd or Jesus Sanchez were particularly effective as the Birmingham sent 9 hitters to the plate scoring 3 runs to take the contest.

On the hitting side Khris Davis had the only day worth mentioning as he went 2-4 with double. Outside of the 7th the offense just couldn't get anything going and unfortunately that's 2 very tough losses in the span of 13 hours for the Stars.

Huntsville Play By Play

Thornburg's only hiccup came in the 1st.

Birmingham Bottom of the 1st

• Tyler Saladino flies out to left fielder Khris Davis.
    Drew Garcia triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Josh Prince.
    Andy Wilkins lines out to second baseman Scooter Gennett.
    With Corey Smith batting, wild pitch by Tyler Thornburg, Drew Garcia scores.
    Corey Smith called out on strikes.

Huntsville's 7th to take the lead.

Huntsville Top of the 7th

• Khris Davis doubles (3) on a fly ball to right fielder Kenneth Williams.
    Andy Gonzalez walks.
    Pitcher Change: Henry Mabee replaces Jose Quintana.
    Domnit Bolivar out on a sacrifice bunt, third baseman Corey Smith to second baseman Drew Garcia. Khris Davis to 3rd. Andy Gonzalez to 2nd.
    Anderson De La Rosa singles on a line drive to center fielder Jared Mitchell. Khris Davis scores. Andy Gonzalez to 3rd.
    Josh Prince lines out to second baseman Drew Garcia.
    Jeff Bianchi reaches on fielding error by shortstop Tyler Saladino. Andy Gonzalez scores. Anderson De La Rosa to 3rd.
    With Scooter Gennett batting, Jeff Bianchi steals (1) 2nd base.
    Scooter Gennett grounds out, shortstop Tyler Saladino to first baseman Seth Loman.

The disastrous 8th.

Birmingham Bottom of the 8th

• Kenneth Williams doubles (2) on a fly ball to left fielder Khris Davis.
    Tyler Saladino out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Darren Byrd to second baseman Scooter Gennett. Kenneth Williams to 3rd.
    Drew Garcia doubles (2) on a fly ball to right fielder Brock Kjeldgaard. Kenneth Williams scores.
    Darren Byrd intentionally walks Andy Wilkins.
    Corey Smith singles on a line drive to right fielder Brock Kjeldgaard. Drew Garcia scores. Andy Wilkins to 2nd.
    Seth Loman flies out to left fielder Khris Davis.
    Jared Mitchell walks. Andy Wilkins to 3rd. Corey Smith to 2nd.
    Pitcher Change: Jesus Sanchez replaces Darren Byrd.
    Jon Gilmore hit by pitch. Andy Wilkins scores. Corey Smith to 3rd. Jared Mitchell to 2nd.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Justin Greene replaces Jon Gilmore.
    Luis Sierra flies out to right fielder Brock Kjeldgaard.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Barons Score Three in Eighth, Top Stars 4-2

The Birmingham Barons scored three runs in the eighth inning, coming from behind for a 4-2 win over the Huntsville Stars Wednesday afternoon in front of 1,747 fans at Regions Park.

The Barons got on the board early as Drew Garcia continued his torrid hitting with a one out triple and scored on a wild pitch by Tyler Thornburg in the first inning. The hit extended his hitting streak to five games.

Barons' starter Jose Quintana turned in a strong performance, cruising through five scoreless innings before running into trouble in the sixth when a leadoff double and a walk chased him from the game. Hank Mabee (2-0, 0.00) relieved and allowed an RBI single to Anderson De La Rose to tie the game. The Stars took a 2-1 lead later in the inning on a two-out error by Barons shortstop Tyler Saladino.

In the bottom of the eighth, Kenny Williams Jr. led off with a double and was sacrificed to third by Saladino. Drew Garcia drove Williams Jr. home with a double to right-center field to tie the game at 2-2. After an intentional walk to Andy Wilkins, Corey Smith gave the Barons a 3-2 lead with an opposite field single. A bases loaded hit by pitch forced in the third run of the inning to give the Barons a 4-2 lead.

Santos Rodriguez pitched a perfect ninth for his first save of the season. The win went to Mabee who allowed a hit and struck out two in 2.0 innings. Stars reliever Darren Byrd (0-1, 6.75) took the loss allowing three runs on three hits in 1.2 innings.

With the win, the Barons improve to 3-4 while the Stars fall to 2-5.

The win gives the Barons their first winning streak of the season and they will look to make it three in a row Thursday as Simon Castro (0-0, 7.20) takes the hill against Stars starter Evan Anundsen (0-0, 3.00). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

My usual Wednesday includes meeting the other coaches and our trainer out for wings at my brother's restaurant. As such my Wed updates will typically come later, I'll get WI when I get home later tonight unless someone else wants to take a crack at the LR.

- Plato

- Plato

Hard to find a Brewer pitching prospect who has pitched better than Jimmy Nelson has since last July/August. Ended the season hot and has picked up right where he left off. Thorny is right there as well. If he keeps this up, he could promote before Taylor or Jed

Jimmy Nelson is making the Brewers scouting department look pretty smart right now. I dont remember anyone who really loved that pick (I could be wrong) and most really disliked the pick. I love the pitching depth of this system right now

Yeah, I have to completely agree on all the stuff posted about Nelson. I'd also like to add my actual out-loud comment when I saw his latest line: "Wow"

This dude has turned himself into arguably the most projectable big-league pitcher in the entire farm system... of course the season is young, but so far this year scouting & stats agree on him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Manatees sweep Lakeland

04/11/2012 9:54 PM ET

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

LAKELAND, Fla. - The Brevard County Manatees completed a three-game sweep of the Lakeland Flying Tigers with a 5-1 win at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland on Wednesday night. Both T.J. Mittelstaedt and Shawn Zarraga had two RBI each and starting pitcher Jimmy Nelson earned his first win as a Manatee.

Nelson got off to a shaky start as he allowed a solo homer in the bottom of the first as Lakeland (3-3) took an early 1-0 lead. He would settle down and pitch five innings and allow just the one run on four hits. Nelson also tied his career high of eight strikeouts, which he accomplished three times last season with Class-A Wisconsin.

Brevard County (5-1) put two on the board in the top of the second; thanks to a double to center field from Zarraga that scored Mike Walker and Scott Krieger to take a 2-1 lead.

It would remain a 2-1 game until the eighth inning as Cody Hawn led the frame off with a double. He would score two batters later as Walker tripled to center to make it a 3-1 game, in favor of Brevard County.

The Manatees added two insurance runs in the top of the ninth on a two-run home run by Mittelstaedt, his second of the season.

For the second straight game, Brevard County's bullpen did not allow a single run as Brian Garman (two innings), Alan Williams (one inning) and Greg Holle (one inning) combine to throw four shutout innings in relief of Nelson.

Brevard County has won four games in a row and is tied atop the Florida State League's North division with the Dunedin Blue Jays. The Blue Jays will come to Viera on Thursday as the Manatees open up a three-game series with Dunedin and a six-game home stand overall.

Lefty Jed Bradley (1-0, 0.00 ERA) will get his second start for the 'Tees. The 2011 first round pick struck out seven in 6 1/3 innings in his first start against Daytona.

Dunedin will counter with a lefty of their own in Sean Nolin (1-0, 0.00). In Nolin's first start against Clearwater, he threw six scoreless innings.

Box Score

Jimmy J, from Niceville, FL, was very good tonight with his only major blemish being the home run he gave up to lead off the game. So intrigued, I went and looked at his game logs from 2011. He actually was not super dominant stats wise at the end of last year, but the scouting reports foretold a different story. Now, he is pitching as well as anyone in the system. He will turn 23 in June, so success in A+ should be expected. This Brevard team is loaded with relief prospects. Tonight it was Eric Marzec, Alan Williams and Greg Holle shutting down the opposing lineup in the late innings. Holle has better stuff then his 6.64 K/9 in 2011 indicate.

It was a group effort for the bats tonight. Shawn Zarraga and T.J. Mittelstaedt were each on 3 times and Mike Walker tripled and doubled for the Manatees. Everyone else was on at least once except for poor Reggie Keen. Cody Hawn went 1-5 with 4 K. The Manatees were picked off 3 times and caught stealing once.

Game Log

Whoa.

Lakeland Bottom of the 4th

Avisail Garcia strikes out swinging.

James Robbins strikes out swinging.

James McCann strikes out swinging.

Nelson's last inning. Struck out Castellanos to get out of it.

Lakeland Bottom of the 5th

Wade Gaynor strikes out swinging.

Ryan Soares flies out to right fielder Franklin Romero Jr.

Daniel Fields singles on a fly ball to center fielder Reggie Keen.

Hernan Perez singles on a fly ball to left fielder Scott Krieger. Daniel Fields to 2nd.

With Nick Castellanos batting, wild pitch by Jimmy Nelson, Daniel Fields to 3rd.

With Nick Castellanos batting, Hernan Perez steals (1) 2nd base.

Nick Castellanos strikes out swinging.

Nashville 7 Oklahoma City (Astros) 6 F/10

Box Score

In the battle of Brewers catcher cult classics, Martin Maldonado got the last laugh over former Brewer Carlos Corporan when he hit the game winning home run in the top of the 10th. Sean Halton, who hit 3rd tonight, has 11 hits and 4 walks through 7 games, including 3 and 1 tonight. Logan Schafer was on thrice from the lead off spot and stole his first base. C.C. (Caleb Charles) Gindl had a hit before his ejection along with 2 more K. He has struck out in each of the last 6 games (8 times total). Stay within yourself, Caleb. Hainley Statia got the start at 2B and had 3 hits and 3 RBI.

Mike Fiers got the start and was inefficient despite throwing 68% strikes. 88 Pitches 60 Strikes 4 IP 6 H 3 R 3 ER 1 BB 5 K. Dan Meadows, Amaury Rivas and Mike McClendon pitched in relief with varying degrees of success (or lack-there-of). You have to think McClendon is the first one called up if a need arises in the big league bullpen.

This was an almost 4 hour game.

Game Log

Anuery Rodriguez came out dealing.

Nashville Top of the 1st

Logan Schafer singles on a soft ground ball to shortstop Jed Lowrie.

Caleb Gindl strikes out swinging.

Sean Halton strikes out swinging.

Taylor Green strikes out swinging.

The two big innings for the Sounds.

Nashville Top of the 5th

Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Eric Farris replaces Michael Fiers.

Eric Farris grounds out, shortstop Jed Lowrie to first baseman Brett Wallace.

Logan Schafer walks.

Caleb Gindl called out on strikes.

Nashville Sounds right fielder Caleb Gindl ejected by HP umpire Chris Segal.

With Sean Halton batting, Logan Schafer steals (1) 2nd base.

Sean Halton walks.

Taylor Green singles on a ground ball to right fielder Collin DeLome. Logan Schafer scores. Sean Halton to 3rd. Taylor Green advances to 2nd, on throwing error by right fielder Collin DeLome.

Hainley Statia singles on a ground ball to second baseman Jimmy Paredes. Sean Halton scores. Taylor Green scores. Throwing error by second baseman Jimmy Paredes.

Pitcher Change: Sergio Perez replaces Aneury Rodriguez, batting 9th.

Corey Patterson grounds out, second baseman Jimmy Paredes to first baseman Brett Wallace.

Nashville Top of the 7th

Pitcher Change: Enerio Del Rosario replaces Sergio Perez, batting 9th.

Logan Schafer doubles (1) on a line drive to left fielder Fernando Martinez.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Dayton Buller replaces Daniel Meadows.

Dayton Buller flies out to left fielder Fernando Martinez. Logan Schafer to 3rd.

Sean Halton doubles (3) on a fly ball to right fielder Collin DeLome. Logan Schafer scores.

Pitcher Change: Fernando Abad replaces Enerio Del Rosario, batting 9th.

Taylor Green called out on strikes.

Hainley Statia doubles (2) on a line drive to left fielder Fernando Martinez. Sean Halton scores.

Corey Patterson strikes out on foul tip.

Gameday

I just want to throw in that I am very sorry for any misspelling or grammatical issues. I am an engineer, not a writer. I do my best to proofread and triple-check but I will make egregious errors from time-to-time. :)

So don't get too fed up with me, I hope to improve with time.

You're doing fantastic my man, hell I find myself skipping as many as 3 words in a sentence sometimes when I'm typing. I have to proof read every post 3-4 times and sometimes that's not enough. You've done very well.

- Plato

- Plato

Final: Burlington (A's) 3, Wisconsin 2

Bees edge Rattlers in Burlington

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

BURLINGTON, IA - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers grabbed an early lead and Matt Miller battled through six innings, but the Burlington Bees edged the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 3-2 Wednesday night at Community Field. Chad Oberacker, who was a triple shy of the cycle, did most of the damage for Burlington.

But, it was the Rattlers who pounced first. Chadwin Stang gave the Rattlers (2-4) a great opportunity in the first inning. Wisconsin's leadoff hitter lined a triple to the gap in left-center. Greg Hopkins drove in Stang with a sacrifice fly and Wisconsin was up 1-0.

The Bees (4-2) answered in the bottom of the first against Miller. Oberacker started the inning with a double. He stole third with one out. A two-out single by Dusty Robinson tied the game.

Then, Oberacker cracked a leadoff homer in the bottom of the third inning and the Bees were up 2-1.

The Bees extended their lead in the fourth inning on a two-out RBI double by Royce Consigli.

Yadiel Rivera got that run back in the top of the fifth. The Rattlers shortstop worked the count to 3-1 and jumped on the next pitch from Bees starting pitcher Drew Granier. The ball landed well beyond the 375' marker for Rivera's first homer of the season.

The Rattlers could not get any closer. Granier turned the game over to the Bees bullpen after the fifth inning. Seth Frankoff and Drew Tyson each worked two scoreless innings with neither allowing a runner past second base.

Miller worked six innings, scattered nine hits, walked one, and struck out seven, but was tagged with the loss.

Wisconsin returns home to start a seven game home stand on Thursday night. The Rattlers open the stretch of home games against the Peoria Chiefs, the Midwest League affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. Drew Gagnon (0-0, 2.25) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. PJ Francescon (0-0, 1.93) is set to start for the Chiefs.

It's a Slugger's Sports Bar Thirsty Thursday presented by 95.9 KISS FM and College Night on Thursday. Fans can enjoy 16oz soda and beer for just $2! Fans can take their ticket stub from this game to Sluggers Sports Bar located in Super Bowl on Northland Avenue to win Miller Lite drinks and prizes. College students can purchase reserved bleacher tickets for just $1 when presenting college ID at time of ticket purchase.

If you can't make it to the game, tune in for the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:15pm.

Thursday's game is also available on milb.tv. Time Warner Cable subscribers can watch the game on Sports32 starting at 6:30pm.

HOME RUNS:

WIS:

Yadiel Rivera (1st, 0 on in 5th inning, off Drew Granier, 1 out)

BUR:

Chad Oberacker (1st, 0 on in 3rd inning, off Matt Miller, 0 out)

WP: Drew Granier (1-0)

LP: Matt Miller (0-2)

SAVE: Drew Tyson (2)

TIME: 2:09

ATTN: 445

Wisconsin Box Score

The only thing I can see that Chris didn't cover was Kevin Schackelford's 2 clean innings of relief work. He didn't have the shiny peripherals as he walked 2 and struck out 1, but he was effective.

Wisconsin Play By Play

There is literally nothing in the game log that Chris didn't cover which makes sense given a game time of 2:09.

- Plato

- Plato

Maldonado Provides Game-Winning Homer In Extras For Sounds' 7-6 Victory

04/11/2012 10:37 PM ET

Nashville Sounds

Oklahoma City, Okla. - Catcher Martin Maldonado launched a game-winning solo home run in the top of the tenth inning to propel the Nashville Sounds to a 7-6 win over the Oklahoma City RedHawks on Wednesday evening at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.

The Nashville (2-5) offense erupted to establish a season-high 16 hits, as eleven different Sounds came away with at least one hit, including all position players and pitcher Mike McClendon.

Second baseman Hainley Statia led the charge going 3-for-4 with a double, and three RBIs. First baseman Sean Halton extended his hitting streak to five games with a 3-for-4 performance while scoring two runs in the process. Outfielder Logan Schafer also added two hits with two runs scored and a stolen base.

The Oklahoma City RedHawks quickly jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning as leadoff hitter J.B. Shuck tripled down the right field line and scored on an ensuing sacrifice fly from the rehabbing Jed Lowrie. Later in the frame after a single and throwing error on the Sounds, Scott Moore doubled home Fernando Martinez.

The RedHawks tacked on another run in the third as Martinez reached on a fielder's choice and came home on a RBI double from first baseman Brett Wallace.

The Sounds offense broke through in the fifth inning to tie the game at 3-3. With two outs in the inning and runners on first and second thanks to two walks from RedHawks starter Aneury Rodriguez, third baseman Taylor Green singled to right field to score Schafer and advanced to scoring position on a throwing error.

Statia then hit a weak grounder up the middle to second baseman Jimmy Paredes, who committed a throwing error to allow both runners to score and chase Rodriguez from the game.

Oklahoma City retook a 4-3 lead in the following frame on reliever Dan Meadows. After consecutive one-out singles from Lowrie and Martinez, Moore blooped a base hit to left to score Lowrie.

Nashville bounced back to take a 5-4 lead in the top of the seventh inning thanks to three doubles off reliever Enerio Del Rosario. Schafer doubled to left field for his second hit in the game and scored on a one-out two-bagger from Halton that one-hopped the wall. Statia then smoked a two-out double to left field to plate Halton.

The lead didn't last long as Oklahoma City scored two runs in the bottom of the eighth to take a 6-5 advantage. Moore doubled off reliever Amaury Rivas, moved to third on a single from Paredes, and came home on a throwing error as reliever Mike McClendon attempted a pickoff to first. After a walk to Collin DeLome, Paredes scored the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly from former Sound Carlos Corporan.

The Sounds rebounded to tie the game at 6-6 in the top on the ninth. Into the game as part of a double switch in the previous inning, Erick Almonte singled and moved to third on another base hit from Halton. Statia then brought home Almonte on a deep sacrifice fly to center field.

Sounds starting pitcher Mike Fiers allowed three runs on six hits with five strikeouts in four innings of work. The right-hander threw 88 pitches (60 strikes) in a no-decision.

Meadows gave up one run on three hits in two innings of work. Amaury Rivas was charged with a run in 1 1/3 innings. McClendon (1-0) worked a season-high 2 2/3 innings and came away with the blown save and victory.

Oklahoma City used six pitchers on the evening. Rodriguez gave up three runs (two earned) on eight hits and three walks with seven strikeouts in 4 2/3 innings for a no-decision. Juan Abreu (0-1) blew a save opportunity and was charged with the loss on two runs.

The Sounds look for a series split with the RedHawks in Thursday's 7:05 pm CT finale. Josh Butler (0-1, 8.10) will toe the rubber for Nashville against Oklahoma City southpaw Dallas Kuechel (1-0, 0.00).

Archived