Brewer Fanatic

2012 defense has improved

MVP2110
Man this team already seems to be way better on D then our team was last year. You can really see an improvement with Gonzalez from Yuni, as was expected. Weeks looks to be struggling on D but hopefully he can turn it around. Even Gamel looks good out there. Hopefully our bats come around in the next few games

Prince Fielder really is generally a pretty awful defensive player. It isn't just the lack of range and lack of a steady glove and lack of height at 1B, but in addition to all of that it is the completely bone-headed mistakes he makes about once every 10 games or so....

Gamel has a great glove, he's scooped a few already. The problem with Gamel at 3B was his arm, not his glove.

Our outfield defense when Gomez is out is below average but those bats are essential

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Gonzalez is really solid at short...even if he's Yuni at the plate I will love the guy if he keeps that D up.

Gonzalez is Yuni with a plus glove. I can live with that. But he should be hitting 8th

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Gonzalez is exactly as advertised, & like 3&2 said, is still a plus fielder. He's going to be a huge upgrade over Betancourt last season & almost exclusively due to his defense.

Weeks has looked shaky early with the glove, but at least his arm still looks good. I watched the up-the-middle jumping throw he made in Game 1 (iirc?) in really slow-mo, & the call should have been 'out'. It was bang-bang and I'd never get out of a dugout to argue if I were manager, but Weeks's throw did get the runner. Gamel's reaction seemed to indicate to me that he knew the call was wrong.

And on Gamel, I think he's eventually be one of the better-defending 1B in MLB. He should also be a big upgrade over the 2011 defender he's replacing, and combined with Ishikawa, the defensive improvement at 1B this year is going to be even bigger than at SS.

So far on Ramirez, I'm very 'meh'. He does seem to have a little more athletic ability & range than McGehee, but Casey definitely has the better arm. Ramirez is probably going to defend close enough to Casey's '11 that it won't be a huge improvement or decline.

I'd like to see a little more of Aoki in the OF, especially CF -- just to get an idea what he can do. Gomez has been tremendous again so far, & Morgan is still the same good defender he's been.

If Braun & Hart can be just average on defense, then I really don't see a weakness on defense. Maybe the catchers' overall throwing, if I had to really get picky.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I've been very impressed with Gonzalez and Gamel. I now feel at ease with certain balls hit towards SS and 1B that I would've cringed at last year. Ramirez is like McGehee basically. I don't really see much difference overall. Weeks has had some shaky moments as always, but he's fine. The OF hasn't been a problem at all yet. Gomez and Morgan still help cover some of Braun and Hart's weaknesses. But those 2 are good enough out there. At least they have good arms. Braun's already made some great throws from the outfield. Lucroy will be good as always. I'd like to see how some of the bench players do in he field, but at the same time I don't really care if they play or not.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Nice try guys. Talking yourselves into how much better having A-Ram, A-Gon and Gamel over Casey, Yuni and Prince doesn't make them better. Those 3 had 4 hits between them in a 3 game series. Casey, Yuni and Prince combined for 9 and Yuni and Casey only played 2 games.

Gonzalez blew a double play ball Saturday and got extremely fortunate the umpire called it a transition drop (it wasn't).

Rickie is probably my favorite current Brewer, so this is not easy for me to say, but he's looked pretty terrible defensively in the very early going. A side comment on Ramirez, who clearly is nothing special defensively, but he does have a good arm - he just seems to choose to "fling" it over most of the time rather than really letting it go.

I can't say I was "feeling it" on the defense after watching A-Ram in Sunday's game. But I won't write anyone off after three games.

Agreed. I was there on Sunday and there was definitely one ball that it seemed like A-Ram ole'd. It let a run in, too. Gamel and Gonzalez have both looked great.

Nice try guys. Talking yourselves into how much better having A-Ram, A-Gon and Gamel over Casey, Yuni and Prince doesn't make them better. Those 3 had 4 hits between them in a 3 game series. Casey, Yuni and Prince combined for 9 and Yuni and Casey only played 2 games.

Gonzalez blew a double play ball Saturday and got extremely fortunate the umpire called it a transition drop (it wasn't).

Man, you can barely get out of bed without writing something arrogant and condescending. Like ten people give their honest impressions of what they've seen, and you pronounce from on high that they're all indulging in self-delusion? Amazing.

Defense. What does it mean?

Our outfield defense when Gomez is out is below average but those bats are essential

I'm not sure how they can be below average when the only guy who may be below average at his spot is Hart. While we may not have three guys who could play center field above average Braun is one of the better left fielders in the NL. That he is such may show how bad left fielders are overall but that still makes him above average. Gomez and Morgan are both above average with Gomez one of the elite ones in the game today. Hart I think is below average but not so far below to negate the above average defense of the others.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yes, this is how to judge players. Three games.

Alex Gordan is 0-13. I guess he sucks.

Gonzalez blew a double play ball - he must be terrible based upon that one play.

Brilliant.

Holy small sample Batman! Let's see how this plays out over the course of a season.

Because their offensive numbers is how we judge their defense. what do you think we are? Gold glove voters

I think you might have missed the title of this thread. Its up at the top and has the word "defense" in it.

Was that low throw by Gonzalez tonight Gamel's first attempt at a scoop this year? I'm in no way trying to draw a conclusion from it obviously, just that I hadn't seen a full game until tonight and was just curious.

Gamel's ability to stretch out and close the double play is a sight for sore eyes. Prince was never able to do what Gamel has the ability to do on defense. Major upgrade. ARam? Makes me want to puke. Saturday's game, he failed to charge the ball twice which cause Freese to get on base once and just barely got the other one out. Then last night, his E in the 9th. No advantage over Casey whatsoever. Gonzo....much more range so far. He's gotten to balls Yuni would have never been able to get to, so I'm excited to see more of what he can do.

Morgan needs to go. Gomez/Aoki need to splitting time and trade Morgan for a AA SS

Archived