Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Easter Sunday 4/8

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sunday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Brian Baker makes his Brewers organization debut at New Orleans (Marlins), 1:45 PM pre-game, 2:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Kyle Heckathorn at Jacksonville (Marlins), 1:50 PM pre-game, 2:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

I-Phone friendly audio link

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: A total of 24 Stars' games (in Jacksonville and Tennessee) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: Idle

Wisconsin: Idle

I have family commitments until mid evening but I'll get the AA game taken care of eventually.

Happy Easter everyone.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes includes:

GINDL GOING OFF: Outfielder Caleb Gindl has opened the 2012 campaign in the same way that he ended last season -- with a redhot bat. The 23-year-old is the only Nashville player to record a hit in each of the season’s three games and has recorded six hits in 13 at-bats, including a pair of doubles. His .462 average ranks 2nd on the club (Sean Halton, .500). Last year, Gindl hit .354 (90-for-254) over his final 66 games, leading the PCL in hits (84) after July 1st.

And Maas Hass, thank you for once again being the real one to keep the L.R. going. Getting it started each day is huge... because the way you start it, it's like 75% of the effort put into the thread :)
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm in for tonight. I'll get Nashville & Wisconsin.

Wisconsin is idle brother.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Final: Nashville 1, @New Orleans 0

Sounds Held To One Hit, Avoid Sweep With 1-0 Victory

Baker Tosses Five Shutout Innings Of One-Hit Ball In Win

Nashville Sounds

METAIRIE, La. - The Nashville Sounds found the win column for the first time in 2012 as the New Orleans Zephyrs were held to four hits in a 1-0 shutout in the finale of a four-game set on Easter Sunday at Zephyr Field.

After dropping the first three games of the series, the Sounds avoided a sweep and recorded the second shutout in the Pacific Coast League this season. Nashville posted five shutouts in 2011.

It marked the first 1-0 game that the Sounds were involved in since Mike Fiers authored a complete-game, three-hit shutout of the Iowa Cubs on August 31, 2011 at Principal Park.

Previous to that, it also marked the first time Nashville won a game while recording only one hit since June 16, 2011 vs. Round Rock, where Brett Carroll belted a solo homer in a 1-0 victory.

Leading off the fifth inning, Sounds first baseman Sean Halton singled for Nashville's only hit in the contest. Third baseman Taylor Green then reached on a fielding error, followed by a sacrifice bunt by shortstop Edwin Maysonet to put both runners in scoring position. After New Orleans pitcher Tom Koehler intentionally walked Corey Patterson to load the bases, catcher Martin Maldonado hit a deep sacrifice fly to bring home Nashville's only run.

In his Brewers organizational debut, starting pitcher Brian Baker (1-0) tossed five shutout innings of one-hit ball for the win. The right-hander walked two while striking out four on 73 pitches (45 strikes).

Relievers Dan Meadows, Amaury Rivas, and Victor Garate each worked scoreless innings before Mike McClendon shut the door in the ninth for his first save of the season.

Koehler (1-0) came away with the loss after surrendering the unearned run on one hit and three walks in six innings.

The Sounds wrap up their season-opening road trip with a four-game stop in Oklahoma City, beginning tomorrow. Right-hander Seth McClung will take the mound for the Sounds against RedHawks right-hander Henry Sosa. Nashville edged the RedHawks (AAA-Astros) by a 9-7 margin in last season's series, but lost six of eight in Oklahoma.

Nashville Box Score

Not much to talk about here -- there was one hit, & Halton had it. Farris, Patterson, Erick Almonte, & Logan Schafer each walked once. Neither side could muster anything more than a single in the hit column.

Nashville Play-by-Play

The best chances New Orleans ever got to score were in the 2nd and 6th innings (never got a runner past second base, though). Zephyrs leftfielder Bryan Petersen tried to stretch his 8th inning single into a double and get himself into scoring position with the game on the line. Logan Schafer wasn't having any of that --

New Orleans Bottom of the 8th

• Pitcher Change: Victor Garate replaces Amaury Rivas, batting 9th.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Donovan Solano replaces Dan Jennings.
  • Donovan Solano strikes out swinging.
  • Chase Lambin flies out to center fielder Corey Patterson.
  • Bryan Petersen singles on a line drive to left fielder Logan Schafer. Bryan Petersen out at 2nd, left fielder Logan Schafer to second baseman Eric Farris.

Nashville Gameday

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Final: Jacksonville (Marlins) 6, Huntsville 5

Huntsville Box Score

Huntsville fought back to take the lead in the top of the 8th only to have the Suns score 2 in the bottom of the frame and rip the game away. Unfortunately for Kyle Heckathorn we can't play the "IF" game, because he pitched really well after the first inning. His final line turned out to be 5.2IP, 5h, 3ER, 3BB, and 8 SO but 2 of the BBs came back to back to start the game. I believe the 8 strike outs in only 5 2/3 innings is one of the better efforts of his career but unfortunately I'm not sure where to find game logs for MiLB games anymore so I'm unable to look that up. Heckathorn was followed Roque Mercedes who barely got out of the 6th before walking 3 hitters in the 7th and giving up a run. Santo Manzanillo came on for the 8th and gave up the gopher ball which turned out to be the difference in the game.

Kentrail Davis is starting the season just like I believe all of us hoped he would, he was 3-4 today but did get picked off in the first. The C through behind him at 1st so he broke for 2nd and was tagged out, is that technically a CS? At any rate Hunter Morris had his best game of the young season going 2-4 with 2 doubles and both Domnit Bolivar and Jason Jarmillo added a double a piece. Khris Davis socked his first HR of the season in the 2nd but was double switched out of LF when Heckthorn left the game in the 6th. Still no word on what happened to or the status of BK who left the game on Friday. I know others have commented on this in the past but I've had enough of the Josh Prince in CF experiment already, I don't see the upside in that move, and his only having 1 hit on the season really has nothing to do with my opinion. I'd rather they bump everyone up a level and play my boy Ozuna in WI than convert someone to cover an absence. D'Vo please come back soon.

Huntsville Game Log

Heckathorn's 1st Inning

Jacksonville Bottom of the 1st

• Jake Smolinski walks.
    Ryan Patterson walks. Jake Smolinski to 2nd.
    Kyle Jensen strikes out swinging.
    Shawn Bowman singles on a fly ball to right fielder Kentrail Davis. Jake Smolinski scores. Ryan Patterson to 3rd.
    Curt Smith doubles (1) on a soft fly ball to right fielder Kentrail Davis. Ryan Patterson scores. Shawn Bowman to 3rd.
    Jake Jefferies grounds out, second baseman Scooter Gennett to first baseman Hunter Morris. Shawn Bowman scores. Curt Smith to 3rd.
    Paul Gran called out on strikes.

The 8th Inning both ways.

Huntsville Top of the 8th

• Pitcher Change: Wade Korpi replaces Bryan Evans, batting 9th.
    Scooter Gennett flies out to center fielder Ryan Patterson.
    Andy Gonzalez walks.
    Hunter Morris hits a ground-rule double (2) on a fly ball to right field. Andy Gonzalez to 3rd.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Jeff Bianchi replaces Roque Mercedes.
    Pitcher Change: A. J. Ramos replaces Wade Korpi, batting 9th.
    Jeff Bianchi reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by second baseman Paul Gran. Andy Gonzalez scores. Hunter Morris to 3rd on the throw. Missed catch error by catcher Jake Jefferies, assist to second baseman Paul Gran.
    Jason Jaramillo grounds out, second baseman Paul Gran to first baseman Curt Smith. Hunter Morris scores. Jeff Bianchi to 2nd.
    Josh Prince strikes out swinging.

Jacksonville Bottom of the 8th

• Pitcher Change: Santo Manzanillo replaces Roque Mercedes, batting 6th, replacing Jeff Bianchi.
    Paul Gran reaches on fielding error by shortstop Domnit Bolivar.
    Chris Gutierrez out on a sacrifice bunt, first baseman Hunter Morris to second baseman Scooter Gennett. Paul Gran to 2nd.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Jose Duarte replaces A. Ramos.
    Jose Duarte homers (1) on a line drive to left field. Paul Gran scores.
    Jake Smolinski walks.
    Ryan Patterson flies out to center fielder Josh Prince.
    Kyle Jensen lines out to second baseman Scooter Gennett.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived