Brewer Fanatic

AT&T and Miller Park

brewtown82

Should be interesting to see if it actually works when all the people are there using it.

Personally I sit in the club level, close enough to the press box that I can use their WiFi (I get the password from a connection with the team ;) ).

I was going to ask what experience anyone's had with Sprint inside the keg. Friday will mark my inaugural game-with-a-smartphone.

Mine too, actually. I had enough trouble with a U.S. Cellular dumbphone in Miller Park, and U.S. Cellular never has reception trouble.

I have no experience with cell reception at Miller Park, but some places are just bad spots for coverage. My graduate school was one - it was hard to even get a voice signal there. There's also a stretch of a couple hundred feet on my former commute when I would always lose reception, no matter the carrier.

I've never had an issue with my Verizon phone at Miller Park or Camp Randall, either 2G or 3G. Both places I have had friends with me using AT&T who have been unable to send or receive texts or access data. I don't know anyone who has Sprint so I can't speak to their service and U.S. Cellular and Verizon have a network sharing agreement so I would expect their service to be fairly similar.

One thing that is gaining popularity at stadiums and large crowd venues is the setting up of a local network that aggregates the traffic from the cellular networks and puts them on the WiFi network and/or sends out the info from the stadium via a hard wired internet connection. Countries where bandwith is expensive and crowded like the U.S., Japan, and Nordic countries are offloading more and more traffic from the "cellular" airwaves to the Wifi and then physical routes.

I've never had an issue with my Verizon phone at Miller Park or Camp Randall, either 2G or 3G. Both places I have had friends with me using AT&T who have been unable to send or receive texts or access data. I don't know anyone who has Sprint so I can't speak to their service and U.S. Cellular and Verizon have a network sharing agreement so I would expect their service to be fairly similar.

I have an the exact same experience at miller park, my Verizon Phone works great and the friends that have at&t have issues.

I have a Sprint smartphone (BlackBerry) and got terrible reception/coverage during last year's playoffs (which is the only time I really tried to use it there - between innings to text friends, etc.). Texts would not send, calls were impossible to make, etc. I'm hoping that's improved soon.

I can actually say I noticed an improvement today for AT&T. Last year my iPhone 4 basically was a brick. Today I was able to tweet/text throughout the game. Uploading pictures, etc. didn't really work, and I didn't try anything that would really pull data, but for what I'd use my phone during the game for I was able to eek through.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I'd forgotten until Friday that our terrace seats are next to one of the stairwells. So I had no luck with my Sprint phone yesterday, but would like to get away from the concrete corner before I declare it a brick anywhere in MP. Next chance comes in the loge on Sunday.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived