Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 4/5 -- Manatees' romp highlights the evening

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thursday's Daily Menu: here we go, everybody!

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Wily Peralta at New Orleans (Marlins), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- 102.1 The Light

NOTE: Because of conflicts with Nashville Predators hockey for this game, adjusted the link for Nashville audio; scroll down at the link until you find 102.1 The Light

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: LHP Dan Merklinger at Jacksonville (Marlins), 5:50 PM pre-game, 6:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

I-Phone friendly audio link

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen; we'll link to blog updates at Star Power. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

Note: The only MiLB.TV Southern League feed is from the Tennessee Smokies, so ten Stars' road games will be available for viewing with the package.

Brevard County: RHP Taylor Jungmann at home vs. Daytona (Cubs), 5:35 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- It's the Daytona feed

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: RHP Matt Miller at home vs. Cedar Rapids (Angels), 6:20 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and ten Stars' road games.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
DVR Alert! -- Although many of our Wisconsin fans might lean more to Chris Mehring's fine booth work, there is a bonus for locals as the Rattlers' Opening Night is set to be broadcast on Time Warner Cable Sports 32 throughhout eastern Wisconsin. Bob Brainerd and former Brewers pitcher Brad Woodall are the announcers for the telecast.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hopefully all the links above will function just fine -- let me know if not, first "report" of the year, y'know.

At least until further notice, in my current state of "semi-retirement", I did recently offer to kick off each day's report, as well as the following morning links to related newspaper reports and web reports.

I will not be providing any of the post-game links to box scores and game logs this year, but it appears several of our key forum contributors will band together efforts (THANK YOU!) to provide you with the evening and/or late night/overnight updates along with their pithy insightful comments :).

(Keep in touch with each other via private message or email, guys, so you don't duplicate efforts.)

The goal remains that when you wake up each morning, you'll be able to visit us and get your fill of the prior day's minor league activity.

And for goodness sake, if you're not following me on Twitter yet @Mass_Haas, do so now. I'll tweet when each day's initial post goes up, and then in the AM once the newspaper and related reports complete the thread.

Here's to a championship season in Milwaukee and a wonderfully interesting and successful year throughout seven levels of Brewer minor league baseball!

And for goodness sake, if you're not following me on Twitter yet @Mass_Haas, do so now. I'll tweet when each day's initial post goes up, and then in the AM once the newspaper and related reports complete the thread.

When Adam McCalvy is crediting you as a source, yeah. That means Jim done good :)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The joys that minor league audio brings with it, such as commercials I'm sure I'll hate within a month! Though I will say the advertising is effective, because I have a whole list of places that I'll check out if I'm ever in Huntsville, Helena, and so on just to satisfy my curiosity. I don't have that issue with the T-Rats for the most part, though there is no way I'm ever visiting this pet pampering place who's commercial is on right now.

Chris might have talked me into an MiLB TV subscription this season, I'll have to mull that over.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Kentrail Davis in the lead off spot. The formidable Sccoter Gennett is batting 3rd for the Stars.

Big 1st inning for the Sea Cows.

I'm calling it now -- we're all Ben McMahan fans before too long...

The MH sleeper pick has been chosen. Let it be known! :)

I'm a closet McMahan fan myself. Couldn't get on the field at Florida as a C because of Zunino and others.

Can't blame Florida management for that when Zunino is projected to go as high as #3, lol.

McMahan really raked though in the Pioneer League, as college players should. Will have to see his build, crazy that a catcher would move to the OF, though he probably has a good arm for it.

I recall McMahan filling up quite a few Helena box scores as I was doing LR posts last season. Hope he can continue to fill 'em up!

Chris might have talked me into an MiLB TV subscription this season, I'll have to mull that over.

Dude. For you? That's gotta be a no-brainer.

The only thing I'd say is that the audio feeds can be pretty uninspired at times, and typically you're only getting one camera angle -- high from behind HP... unless whatever park the game you're watching has its camera spot elsewhere. It's also tough to go back & re-watch a play/swing/delivery, because the trackbar or whatever you call it at the bottom of the screen (where you click to skip ahead or back in the action) allows you to only select certain spots in the timespan of the broadcast. I remember painstakingly re-watching several Gindl/Gamel HRs last season, and it gets annoying. Just full disclosure before you shell out any money for it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maddox is still there, having an alright season, slugging under .400 though.

Zunino is slugging .700 in 28 games. College, but still, I see why he has so much helium lately. Good defensive catcher who is killing the ball.

I will not be providing any of the post-game links to box scores and game logs this year, but it appears several of our key forum contributors will band together efforts (THANK YOU!) to provide you with the evening and/or late night/overnight updates along with their pithy insightful comments :).

(Keep in touch with each other via private message or email, guys, so you don't duplicate efforts.)

I would also suggest that you guys could just drop a post into the thread saying "Nashville recap coming" or whatever and then edit that post and replace it with your write-up. That way anyone reading will know whether or not they should pitch in and contribute a recap of the game they just listened to if they want.

Jacksonville (Marlins) 2, Huntsville 0

Huntsville Box Score

It's always tough to get shutout to start the season, especially when you outhit the opposition. Merklinger pitched well walking 3, striking out 8, giving up 2 ER on only 2 hits as 2 of Dan's walks came around to score. Newcomer Jeff Bianchi had 2 hits including a double as did Brock Kjeldgaard, those were the 4 hits the stars collected.

Huntsville Game Log

Merk gave away an easy 1 in the first.

Jacksonville Bottom of the 1st

Jose Duarte called out on strikes.

Jake Smolinski walks.

Kyle Jensen walks. Jake Smolinski to 2nd.

Shawn Bowman singles on a ground ball to shortstop Jeff Bianchi. Jake Smolinski to 3rd. Kyle Jensen to 2nd.

Kyle Skipworth out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Kentrail Davis. Jake Smolinski scores.

Curt Smith called out on strikes.

Kentrail Davis helped Merk out in the 6th but Sanchez couldn't hold Duarte.

Jacksonville Bottom of the 6th

Jose Duarte walks.

Jake Smolinski singles on a line drive to right fielder Kentrail Davis. Jose Duarte to 3rd. Jake Smolinski out at 2nd, right fielder Kentrail Davis to shortstop Jeff Bianchi.

Pitcher Change: Jesus Sanchez replaces Dan Merklinger, batting 9th.

Kyle Jensen singles on a line drive to center fielder Brock Kjeldgaard. Jose Duarte scores.

Shawn Bowman strikes out swinging and Kyle Jensen caught stealing 2nd, catcher Jason Jaramillo to second baseman Scooter Gennett.

The Stars had their best chances to score in the 7th and 8th.

Huntsville Top of the 7th

Jeff Bianchi singles on a ground ball to left fielder Jake Smolinski.

Scooter Gennett flies out to center fielder Jose Duarte.

Brock Kjeldgaard singles on a ground ball to left fielder Jake Smolinski. Jeff Bianchi to 2nd.

Hunter Morris flies into a force out, left fielder Jake Smolinski to shortstop Jeff Dominguez. Jeff Bianchi out at 3rd. Brock Kjeldgaard to 2nd. Hunter Morris to 1st.

Pitcher Change: Peter Andrelczyk replaces Joseph O'Gara, batting 9th.

Khris Davis called out on strikes.

Huntsville Top of the 8th

Andy Gonzalez walks.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Matt Cline replaces Andy Gonzalez.

Jason Jaramillo flies out to center fielder Jose Duarte.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Lee Haydel replaces Jesus Sanchez.

Lee Haydel called out on strikes.

Pitcher Change: A. J. Ramos replaces Peter Andrelczyk, batting 9th.

With Kentrail Davis batting, wild pitch by A. J. Ramos, Matt Cline to 2nd.

Kentrail Davis walks.

With Jeff Bianchi batting, wild pitch by A. Ramos, Matt Cline to 3rd. Kentrail Davis to 2nd.

Jeff Bianchi grounds out, shortstop Jeff Dominguez to first baseman Curt Smith.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Cedar Rapids (Angels) 7, Wisconsin 2

Wisconsin Box Score

I've never been a big Miller supporter but after watching him tonight he has pretty good movement on his pitches, and he a threw a couple of very nice curves. His control is pretty spotty though, as evidenced by the end result, but he's got some nice tools. He must have been a bit nervous as he walked first the batter of the game on 4 straight and they weren't that close. His final line: 4IP, 4ER, 6H, 3BB, 7SO. Shackleford and Toledo also gave up runs in relief, the only clean T-Rat pitcher for the evening was Peterson who pitched a scoreless 8th.

I had Chris on the radio as well as watching the game on TW32, he had some interesting tidbits from the welcome banquet as well as recapping how the CR equipment manager broke his ankle during a game I was actually in attendance for. It was one of the few games my father and I went to together, and we still talk about it from time to time.

The T-Rat offense didn't do much against Austin Wood, and rightfully so, I was pretty impressed with him. He brought legit gas and mixed in a nasty slider at times. No Rattlers had multi hit games though 3 players did hit 2 baggers including McMahon who Mass called his shot on. The others were Rafael Neda and Brandon Macias. Here's a name to remember from CR, Kaleb Cowart... watching him as 19 year old brought back memories of Mike Trout. Cowart doesn't run nearly as well Trout, but he made a real nice defensive play at 3B and went 4-5 with a 2B and a 3B. Friggen Angels...

Wisconsin Game Log

It could have gotten ugly out of the gate for Miller but Dishon gunned the runner at home and it wasn't close, the throw beat the runner by a good 20 feet.

Cedar Rapids Top of the 1st

Kevin Moesquit walks.

With Ryan Jones batting, Kevin Moesquit steals (1) 2nd base.

Ryan Jones called out on strikes.

Kaleb Cowart singles on a line drive to right fielder John Dishon. Kevin Moesquit out at home on the throw, right fielder John Dishon to catcher Rafael Neda.

Frazier Hall walks. Kaleb Cowart to 2nd.

Andy Workman pops out to second baseman Carlos George.

The Kernels busted through in a big way in the 3rd and never looked back.

Cedar Rapids Top of the 3rd

Kevin Moesquit singles on a ground ball to shortstop Yadiel Rivera.

With Ryan Jones batting, missed catch error by Jason Rogers on the pickoff attempt, Kevin Moesquit to 2nd.

Ryan Jones grounds out, third baseman Gregory Hopkins to first baseman Jason Rogers.

Kaleb Cowart doubles (1) on a line drive to center fielder Chadwin Stang. Kevin Moesquit scores.

Frazier Hall doubles (1) on a fly ball to left fielder Benjamin McMahan. Kaleb Cowart scores.

Andy Workman flies out to right fielder John Dishon.

Chevy Clarke hit by pitch.

Abel Baker doubles (1) on a line drive to center fielder Chadwin Stang. Frazier Hall scores. Chevy Clarke scores.

Matthew Scioscia singles on a ground ball to right fielder John Dishon. Abel Baker to 3rd.

Wendell Soto strikes out swinging.

- Plato

- Plato

Caleb Gindl has been hit by batted balls running the bases twice in one game both off the bat of Sean Halton. Are you kidding me? You might see that once or twice a season for an entire team. I'm sure Sean Halton will take the hits. Anyone know if they were sure outs or hits anyway?

Archived