Brewer Fanatic

The Reds(!) $200 Million Man: Joey Votto (Latest: Phillips to get extension)

I think we get caught up a bit too much in trying to fit partiular offensive skill sets into defensive positions.

Amen.

But lets put Rickie's production in RF and Aoki's at 2nd base.

Let's not give some people any ideas, lest the clamoring begin.

Really, the more I think about it, the less I care if our RF'er hits 30 Hr's and puts up Hart like numbers. At this point, I'd prefer a guy who could hit .300+ with a .385 OBP even if that only comes with a .400 SLG. Not to mention the fact that he'd likely be incredible defensively, at least compared to Hart. Saves 10 million, gives us a legit leadoff hitter who can hit both left and right handed pitchers.

This is ALL based on the pretense that Aoki is what I think he is. A couple of really impressive at bats where he takes 12 pitches and works his way for a walk or puts a good swing on the ball. That's not nearly enough in and of itself, but this isn't like Russell Branyan when he went on his HR binge or George Kottaras right now. There is something to be said about HOW he goes about his at bats, and I think being able to battle like he does is something we're sorely lacking, something great offensive teams like Boston and New York seemingly always have, and if he can continue to produce, I'd be all for trading Hart to a team that is desperate for some power production in return for a top 100 prospect, ideally a shortstop. In fact, the Braves would be my personal choice as they've got a couple really good looking young shortstops.

In doing so you've got a cheap RF'er who can hit leadoff, and a young, elite SS who you'd control for 6 years. Or 5 if it's Pastronicky(as this would likely take place after this year).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived