Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke close to hiring an agent.....

miggs721
  • Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"We decided to let it rest for now." We? Have to wonder what's really going on. Most likely that means Greinke wants to test the market, or at least thinks he's going to raise his price with his performance this season.

"We decided to let it rest for now." We? Have to wonder what's really going on.

Obviously I have no inside info, but the way I read that is, 'We are really far apart on numbers, & the organization has to re-assess how much money it's prepared to commit to retaining one pitcher.'

The one thing I would hate to see happen is this lead to an extension for Marcum, just because.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not to get all "negative Nancy" on everyone, but I think Greinke is the glue that makes this a contending team. Personally if we can't sign Greinke, I vote to retool while keeping a few of the recent extensions. I just don't want to extend Marcum, I really like him, but I'd rather pay double for Greinke personally.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Not good. Well bright side maybe we're out of contention early and can flip him for some prospects if nothing else.

That's the bright side?????

I know fans like to spend the owners money, I can't believe the owner is passing on this deal, unless Greinke is asking for Cain money and if he is we're in BIG trouble.

If Melvin could have signed this guy within the last year for Verlander money I'm going to be sick to my stomach!!!

This stinks!!!

Not good. Well bright side maybe we're out of contention early and can flip him for some prospects if nothing else.

I'd say that the best case is that the Brewers make a World Series run again this season, because the window could be closed thereafter.

I'm not giving up hope yet. I'm still somewhat optimistic it gets done.

Yeah, there's really nothing there that indicates this is any kind of death blow to extension talks. It just definitely makes me close to 100% pessimistic, so kudos to you :)

Given the wave of recent extensions it's just smart business for Zack to step back and re-evaluate where the market has gone. I really doubt he will give a hometown discount. He may, but it's not like he'll leave $20M on the table.

Bye Zack and bye competing.

Like a few others have said, having Greinke is the key to competing within the next few years for the Brewers because their isn't another Yo or Sheets in the system right now. Looks like a bunch of #3s with the possibility of a #2 down the road in their careers. Greinke leaves after 2012 and we're a .500 team at best even with Wolf and Marcum back (which will happen in the event Greinke leaves). Not being negative, just being a realist.

I know fans like to spend the owners money, I can't believe the owner is passing on this deal, unless Greinke is asking for Cain money and if he is we're in BIG trouble.

If he reaches free agency, he'll get well beyond what Cain got. Probably over $150 million.

Greinke leaves after 2012 and we're a .500 team at best even with Wolf and Marcum back (which will happen in the event Greinke leaves). Not being negative, just being a realist.

There is certainly a chance of that. A lot of people (and scouts) are high on Wily Peralta. While I personally have my doubts about the guy there is reason to believe that he could step in and be a 3.50 ERA pitcher .... by 2014 Jungmann and or Bradley and or Thornburg will be ready. It won't necessarily be all doom & gloom if Greinke leaves

I still think Greinke will sign an extension with the Brewers

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Doom and gloom. Doom and gloom. Maybe they're just "not motivated" to get a deal done at this time... This could very well be a tactic to shine light away from the talks. I doubt very much Grienke would want to keep this in the spotlight.

Doom and gloom. Doom and gloom. Maybe they're just "not motivated" to get a deal done at this time... This could very well be a tactic to shine light away from the talks. I doubt very much Grienke would want to keep this in the spotlight.

It wasn't really in the spotlight. I was actually going to post earlier today (before this latest news, obviously) that the silence on this topic was getting deafening.

While the news is certainly disappointing, there was also some negativity surrounding the Giants negotiations with Matt Cain in March. The sides were even reported as being $75 million apart just a week before he signed his $100 million plus deal.

While there is always a possibility that Greinke prefers to become a Free Agent at season end, there are a couple of positive indications that still leave me very hopeful about a deal getting done. For starters, Greinke seemed content to not have an agent until there was a reason to have one. He wouldn't have an agent right now if he didn't at least want to entertain offers from the Brewers. Also, Mr. Attanasio strikes me as an owner that wants to keep a good thing going. At least I hope so, because I certainly believe that retaining Greinke is a key to the Brewers remain a playoff contending team in the near future.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If the Brewers don't sign Greinke there is no way they will ever win 70+ games again, he is a 20 WAR player. Seriously, while I would love them to sign him no single player is likely worth more than 5 games or so to the team so if that money is distributed in smart fashion the team will be just fine.

If the Brewers don't sign Greinke there is no way they will ever win 70+ games again, he is a 20 WAR player. Seriously, while I would love them to sign him no single player is likely worth more than 5 games or so to the team so if that money is distributed in smart fashion the team will be just fine.

It's a better long-term move to not sign him, even though I do actually want the Brewers to re-sign him. Greinke is the kind of pitching the Brewers will need to develop, not buy. Even if he gives a discount to the Brewers, we're still talking colossal dollars.

Yes they will be fine of course, but the right move to make if he leaves is to trade Hart and Weeks and reload/rebuild/whatever you want to call it. It shouldn't take several years if they hit on those trades.

Of course, we're probably getting ahead of ourselves, because there's still hope that they can sign him.

Archived