Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke close to hiring an agent.....

miggs721
  • Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not news on the Greinke front. Not a good sign.

The Reds season has already begun and they are according to reports in the process and close to extending Brandon Phillips. For all we know the same could be happening with Greinke (Talks heading into the season). I wouldn't read too much into there being no new news. Also, Doug Melvin was supposed to talk to Casey Close for the first time today in regards to Greinke.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Maybe this helps explain the onslaught of extensions lately - and gives (at least me) hope that ZG is next.

From Tom Verducci, SI.com:

Meanwhile, Selig is sitting on another potential gusher of money: the national network TV package. MLB officials will begin negotiating a new deal this year to replace the one that expires after next season. These negotiations are happening not only as regional sports networks have bid up the value of baseball programming, but also as national networks engage in dogfights to secure exclusive sports programming. Owners are already spending the coming windfall (see extensions for Matt Cain, Joey Votto, Andrew McCutchen, etc.).

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/04/03/preview.essay.2012/index.html#ixzz1rEWHKtgS

I'm pretty confident the Brewers will get a deal done. It just seems more and more likely with all the other players getting extended around the league. Greinke wants to stay, Attanasio is willing to pay for him, and I think Melvin will be able to get him on a reasonable deal. Maybe 5 year $100 million or something like that. I think it gets done sometime near the beginning of the season.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Considering what we gave up I think Greinke is a must sign, Fielder didn't cost anything but money, Greinke cost us 4 players, now Cain seems to be emerging. Also, factor in Lawrie for Marcum, we'll end up MAYBE getting draft picks, I'm thinking we won't with the new system.

Get it done guys!!!

Considering what we gave up I think Greinke is a must sign, Fielder didn't cost anything but money, Greinke cost us 4 players, now Cain seems to be emerging.

It is illogical to determine what you do with a player based on how you acquired him. He is yours now same as if he was picked off the scrapheap. To do otherwise is just a GM covering his butt. It is also compounding the error if you determine what you do with a player based on how the player(s) he was traded for are performing (whether good/bad).

I'm not saying don't sign Grienke. I'm just saying you determine what you do with a player with your budget details and that players value - and that value isn't determined on how he was acquired.

Per Tom H twitter,

Sounds like #Brewers will continue to talk to both Greinke and Axford reps. Melvin: "We have to get away from opening day as deadline."
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

ESPN Insider has a story titled "Rumors: Odds of big deal for Greinke" linked to their front page. I'm not an insider, so I can't read it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I know buster olney wrote something about how Grienke was a bad club house guy in KC. not sure if this is it.

I like Zach, I think he is a difficult egg to crack and I think before he is comfortable somewhere he is likely not very social in the clubhouse.

That said, not sure how he could be construed as a bad clubhouse presence. He is obsessed with winning, and very competitive. I would think he would be the epitome of lead by example not his words.

I have not enjoyed reading Buster in quite some time. All reactionary pieces with little content.

mlbtraderumors alludes to that Olney piece mentioning that Olney feels Grienke has to restore his reputation as a good clubhouse guy before he will get a big contract.

He seems way off base here. A. I had never heard of Grienke being a bad guy other than wanting out of the cesspool that is KS baseball and B. talent trumps all. Even if Grienke were a jerk its not going to keep a team from signing him. Just sounds like a dumb argument.

I know buster olney wrote something about how Grienke was a bad club house guy in KC. not sure if this is it.

Yup, that was what the "Odds of a monster deal" thing was about, as in the odds may not be as great as one might think because of that (and because some teams don't want him for that reason).

Whatever.

Yup, that was what the "Odds of a monster deal" thing was about, as in the odds may not be as great as one might think because of that (and because some teams don't want him for that reason).

Whatever.

While it'd be nice to think that this would lead to Greinke signing for a little less than I expect, I can't imagine how Melvin would use "people don't like you" in his negotiations.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Whatever.

While it'd be nice to think that this would lead to Greinke signing for a little less than I expect, I can't imagine how Melvin would use "people don't like you" in his negotiations.

Yea not sure how you phrase that. Although Zach appreciates brutal honesty? Maybe say we like you, we hear other people don't. Stay where people like you...

You have to translate Buster Olney : what he appears to be saying is "because Greinke might not be interested in being a Yankee or a Red Sox, I am now going to attempt to spread damaging rumors about him. How dare he ignore the glorious East Coast?"
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't think he could name a player on the Padres if you asked him point blank.

I'm genuinely curious whether he could. I'm betting he knows Carlos Lee plays for the Astros, maybe Wandy. He might realize Volquez now plays for San Diego.

Archived