Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost Resigns as Manager of the Royals! Considering a Front Office Job in Milwaukee?

(AP) Kansas City- Kansas City Royals Manager Ned Yost abruptly announced his retirement Sunday morning just as the dawn of a new baseball season was on the horizon. Yost, who was manager of the Royals almost two seasons, had also recently signed an extension through the 2013 season. Hitting coach Kevin Seitzer will manage the team for 2012 on an interim basis.

Asked for comment, Yost noted that he wanted to spend more time with his family. Yost is expected to take a front office position with the Milwaukee Brewers where he served as manager for six years (2003-2008) and was a member of Milwaukee’s 1982 American League Championship squad.

Yost, who helped transform the Brewers from one of the worst franchises in baseball, into a team that has been a regular contender for the playoffs had hoped to help Kansas City reclaim their past glory. Unfortunately, despite young players such as Alex Gordon and Alcides Escobar, the Royals were not able to turn the corner. Sources close to Yost indicated that the team just didn’t have enough “battlers” like he had during his run with the Brewers.

It is widely expected that Yost will serve as a special assistant to Brewers GM Doug Melvin. Melvin has been looking to upgrade the bullpen in recent weeks, and Yost will serve as a special team consultant on bullpen management. Asked why make the decision so late before the start of a new season, Yost offered “this type of Decision could only be made on April 1st”.

Well, my MO has been a "fake trade" in recent years, so I thought I'd try something more subtle this year. That, and being older, with more family responsibilites, leaves less time to come up with something really really good :)

Secretly, I really do hope Yost comes back to us some day. Not quite sure why though :P

Archived