Brewer Fanatic

How are "so called experts" picking the Brewers for 3rd Place?

3and2Fastball

I like the rest of you thoughts, and I am not trying to just bash your post. I just am tired of the opinion that someone needs immediate success at the major league level or they are over rated or not any good.

In addition to say Estrada is a proven 5 starter but you have no faith in our AAA prospects is funny. Yes Estarda had some success last year in that role, but he is also a guy we picked up when a bad Washington team (at the time) had no use for him on their 40. Not exactly promising.

Not even to mention Peralta is yet to pitch a single major league inning. Let's hold judgement til he at least makes a start.Maybe after one start we can then say he is just a AAAA pitcher?....

I have a question for you too? Who is st Louis's 3 starter that really shines?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, to say Wily Peralta seems like a AAAA pitcher is a poor choice of words. I certainly do not believe that projects to be a AAAA guy. I was looking at what his impact might be if we need to rely on him for extended starts in 2012. He's only 23 years old. He had a 1.287 WHIP and .3.46 ERA in AA last year, that to me doesn't scream "he's ready for MLB hitters" right now... there is no doubt he deserves to be a highly rated prospect, he's got great stuff... His WHIP in 2010 was even worse. He pitched very well in 5 starts in AAA last year but that was a small sample of just 31 innings. Hopefully he turns the corner this year even more

I don't have a lot of faith in Rogers and Fiers. I think much higher of Bradley, Jungmann & Thornburg but they are each more than a year away

The point I was trying to make is that our success in 2012 really depends a lot on whether Marcum can successfully pitch and stay healthy

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

In addition to say Estrada is a proven 5 starter but you have no faith in our AAA prospects is funny. Yes Estarda had some success last year in that role, but he is also a guy we picked up when a bad Washington team (at the time) had no use for him on their 40. Not exactly promising.

To be fair Estrada did show a completely different skill set last year that suggests real growth from him, it wasn't just some flukey lucky ERA or something.

Yeah, to say Wily Peralta seems like a AAAA pitcher is a poor choice of words. I certainly do not believe that projects to be a AAAA guy. I was looking at what his impact might be if we need to rely on him for extended starts in 2012. He's only 23 years old. He had a 1.287 WHIP and .3.46 ERA in AA last year, that to me doesn't scream "he's ready for MLB hitters" right now... there is no doubt he deserves to be a highly rated prospect, he's got great stuff... His WHIP in 2010 was even worse. He pitched very well in 5 starts in AAA last year but that was a small sample of just 31 innings. Hopefully he turns the corner this year even more

I don't have a lot of faith in Rogers and Fiers. I think much higher of Bradley, Jungmann & Thornburg but they are each more than a year away

The point I was trying to make is that our success in 2012 really depends a lot on whether Marcum can successfully pitch and stay healthy

To be fair, he also had success at AAA last year in a small sample. His stuff will translate to MLB batters just fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about his ERA in AA.

Of the guys you mention, Peralta, Fiers, and Bradley have my confidence if something happens this year. Fiers had a bad spring in limited innings. His make-up and his stuff, suggest that he should not be successful, but every year, wherever he is, he succeeds. At the risk of being cliche, "Dude's a gamer". Thornburg is another guy who is interesting, and has lights out stuff. But, i think if we need some fill ins this year due to injury, Peralta, Fiers, and Bradley are our best bets after Estrada.

Brewers may not be getting respect from baseball experts, but on the Chicago tribune's NBA rankings they are 19th! We know Greinke and Loe are tough on the boards, Rickie Weeks is deadly from beyond the arc, and Tony Plush can guard anybody, but who knew Aoki was Japan's version of Jeremy Lin?

Archived