Brewer Fanatic

Your 2012 Nashville Sounds

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Indications are that we will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements as early as Saturday 3/31.

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2012" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report.

One thing folks will notice this year is that we'll be providing less of the "link PLUS copy-and-paste" and just going with links in many of our threads. While in the long-term, this will impact the archive aspect of the site as some of those links go dead down the road, it will also make it much easier for all providing the news, as formatting the copy-and-paste was among the more tedious and time-consuming aspects of the forum each day.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

The biggest upgrade should come in the form of starting pitching, which will be led by a pair of the Brewers’ rising stars, Wily Peralta and Michael Fiers, both of whom looked impressive when promoted to Nashville late last season.
Others who Guerrero said probably will start the year in the rotation are familiar face Josh Butler, along with Brian Baker from the Rays’ organization and Seth McClung from the Rangers’ organization.

I know Rogers still has a suspension to finish, but that's a significantly different rotation than I was expecting if it's true. I haven't been paying very close attention but what about Rivas? I know I was personally overrating his stuff and he got exposed some last year, but he was still better than Butler, Baker, or McClung. Is Scarpetta going back to AA with no options remaining after this year? Is he moving to the pen? I'd rather see Braddock in a starting role to try and regain his velocity, but I've been concerned about that issue since they broke camp last year.

I guess I'm left hoping that a couple of guys have minor injuries and will be back soon because I don't see how Butler will be an upgrade over himself, and how Baker and McClung will improve the Sounds rotation over last season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Wow, talk about the most uninspiring rotation......Could have Peralta, Fiers, Rogers, Rivas, Scarpetta making every night a near must check the box score to see how they did rotation. Instead, we get two prospects, one unknown to system, one washed up major leaguer, and one career AAA SP.

I have never liked Butler or thought anymore of him that a okay AAA pitcher (not even AAAA pitcher).Do we really need McClung starting? You'd think the pen would be his only way back to bigs. Not sure about Baker as a prospect, dont know much about him to be honest, hope for good things.

Hopefully the rotaton ends up the way it should unless they have officially moved Rivas, Rogers, and Scarpetta to the bullpen (which I actually think fits Scarpetta and Rogers better)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rivas not only was taken off the 40-man, but shorter spring training stints indicate a move to the pen is in store for early this year.

Scarpetta, yes, Huntsville was noted when he was optioned.

Rogers will be starting, so one of Butler, Baker, McClung will need to step aside from the rotation at that time.

Hope they don't send Scarpetta back to Huntsville. He walk too many guys but in no way should he forced to repeat for it. Overall his numbers were pretty solid and deserving of the promotion. Mix in that he was just granted an extra option year, they should trying to get him ready to compete for a spot in 2013. Big talent to let slip away. Not a guy who can just slip unnoticed in waivers.

I also forgot Merklinger, he should be another guy over Butler and McClung.

Dissappointed on the Scarpetta front. I see no good reason as to why he was held back

Plus side, happy to see Sean Halton make the roster and Hainley Statia. Surprised they only went with 3 OF's, Maysonet played some OF this spring, he may play the 4th OF if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Sounds' Brooks Conrad hopes to play his way back to major leagues

Former Brave waits for his opportunity with a new team

by Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

New Sound Brooks Conrad had been to Greer Stadium prior to Nashville’s opening homestand, but only as a member of a visiting team.

The former Atlanta Braves utility man is a Pacific Coast League veteran, although he hopes this return to Triple-A is only a brief stop.

“All you can ask for is a shot to make the club (out of spring training) and that’s what I got with the Brewers,” Conrad said. “Hopefully at some point they’ll need somebody else (in Milwaukee) and hopefully at that point I’ll be swinging the bat well.”

Conrad started the season on the disabled list with an injured shoulder and has played in just three games. But he was 3-for-9 with a homer after Thursday’s doubleheader with Oklahoma City.

“Brooks has the ability to make us a better ball club,” Sounds Manager Mike Guerrero said. “He has the ability to hit from both sides and play different positions. He can be a pretty good boost to our offense. We’re looking forward to seeing what happens.”

Conrad, 32, had 507 games of Pacific Coast League experience before making his big-league debut in 2008 with the Athletics.

He is Round Rock’s career leader for runs (269), doubles (98), triples (21), extra-base hits (186) and walks (169).

“I spent four years in the PCL, man,” Conrad said. “Last time I was here they didn’t even have these clubhouses (built in 2008). It was down-under, down in the dungeon in Nashville.”

Conrad injured his shoulder diving back into second base prior to the season, but was told the injury wouldn’t require surgery.

He admitted he was somewhat anxious prior to his Sounds debut.

“Everybody had been hitting the ball hard and I got up there in my first at-bat of the year and hit a little chinker down the line (for a pinch-hit single Sunday). But I’ll definitely take it,” Conrad said with a laugh.

“I’m just happy to have a job. I was ready to go, real excited on the bench all day just from sitting out. You know, it felt good to be out there getting an at-bat and just getting back to some action.”

Conrad spent the past two full seasons with the Braves as a backup infielder, making a name for himself as a clutch pinch-hitter. He hit a career-best .250 with eight home runs off the bench in 2010.

But he also made some critical defensive blunders in the team’s 2010 divisional playoffs appearance against the eventual World Series champion Giants.

Then last season the Braves blew a big wild-card lead down the stretch and didn’t make the playoffs. Neither Conrad nor starting shortstop Alex Gonzalez were re-signed by the Braves and both ended up signing with the Brewers.

“I didn’t have an inkling I wasn’t going to come back,” said Conrad, who hit .223 last year in Atlanta. “Milwaukee plays the game hard, man. So when they came calling I said, ‘Yeah. I’m in for that.’

“It was sad to leave Atlanta. I can’t say enough about how awesome it was there. But, you know, I moved on. I’m with the new club now and we’ll see how it goes here.”

Sounds infielder Brooks Conrad (6) watches his hit during a game against Oklahoma City. / Jae S. Lee/THE TENNESSEAN

http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20120420&Category=SPORTS04&ArtNo=304200069&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Nashville-Sounds-Brooks-Conrad-hopes-play-his-way-back-major-leagues

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Courtenay's Green begins climb back to major leagues

By Mario Annicchiarico, Times Colonist

The disappointment in Taylor Green's voice vibrated all the way from Nashville.

Sent down to the minor leagues two weeks ago by the Milwaukee Brewers, the Courtenay native is still trying to settle into his role in triple-A ball after having a taste of a run at the Major League Baseball playoffs in 2011.

And his current funk is obviously more mental than it is physical for the 25-year-old infielder.

"Absolutely it was disappointing, because I went in there thinking I had a very solid chance to earn a spot, especially if I outperformed the other guys, and it just didn't work out this time," Green admitted over the phone while in Nashville with the Sounds of the Pacific Coast League.

Green still sounded defeated, two weeks after being demoted and admitted his biggest challenge is returning to form emotionally and psychologically.

"I have to find a way to do that. It's not easy at all right now," said Green, who was batting just .205 in 12 games in the PCL. "You just have to get your head on straight.

"The hits will come. I have started out slow a couple of times before and once the at-bats even out, my numbers will be there in the end."

They were certainly where he wanted them to be in spring training, where Green batted .316 over 21 Cactus League games with the Brewers. It was the fourth-best average among Milwaukee players with the highest plate appearances. His batting numbers sat behind only Jonathan Lucroy, Alex Gonzalez and George Kottaras.

It still didn't help Green, who had 12 hits over those 21 games, including a two-run home run. The Brewers opted to go with Travis Ishikawa in a backup infield spot. Ishikawa picked up his first two hits of the season Thursday in a 4-3 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers and has five strikeouts in his 11 at-bats.

"It went well, I thought," said Green. "It was a good spring training. I hit pretty well and it was fun. It was just a matter of not matching up at the right position or however they wanted to start the season with the positions they had. I'm still not too sure what it was.

"I went in thinking I had to earn spots. It was an even competition between me and a couple of other guys and it just didn't work out."

And he's not alone in his sluggish start in the minors as the Sounds are singing a hurtin' song in Nashville, just 4-9 to start the season, despite being loaded with talent.

"We have a lot of guys that were kind of on the cusp and I think our hitting will come around pretty quick. I'm sure this entire team will catch fire soon," said Green, who went 10-for-37 at the plate for a .270 average when called up to Milwaukee late last year. He was also included on the Brewers' postseason roster as the club made it to the National League Championship Series.

"Like always, I'm trying to get better at each facet of the game," he said. "Just try and keep getting better. You never know what can happen because there are 29 other teams out there."

I don't like the 29 other teams comment as he's the exact type of player we need. A guy who can play 3rd, 2nd and 1st for 3 guys who've dealt with injury issues in the past in Aram, Weeks and Gamel.

And I think he's got a 4-5 year run or 3-3.5 WAR everyday play out of him.

If he's not up by June, and I'm him, I'd be pretty frustrated. As long as he gets goign offensively..which I have no doubt he will.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Mark Rogers: Best pitch forward

The Orrs Island native is back after surgeries and a 25-game suspension for a banned stimulant, trying to return to the major leagues

By Greg Sullivan, Special to the Maine Sunday Telegram

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Mark Rogers is the same pitcher.

The same but different.

He is a year and a half removed from his major-league debut with the Milwaukee Brewers. With major surgery and a 25-game suspension behind him, the same pitcher has a much different outlook.

"I'm the same guy. I think my arm hasn't felt this good in a long time," said Rogers, the Orrs Island, Maine native and Mt. Ararat High graduate. He was smiling as he stood next to his locker in the Triple-A Nashville Sounds' clubhouse on Wednesday, just after his season debut for the Milwaukee Brewers farm team.

"I think the more I throw, my numbers will continue to get better. I can still reach back and let it go if I need to."

But the 26-year-old right-hander also has grown up lately. He has taken responsibility for a recent mistake, and continues to face the sort of character-building challenges of overcoming difficult injuries with a bulldog-like approach as he has through much of his career.

DELAYING A PROMISING START

Rogers was rated the Brewers' No. 1 prospect entering last season but battled carpal tunnel issues and had surgery on both his wrists this offseason. He made progress this spring, but he still had to serve the final eight games of a 25-game suspension from last year for testing positive for a banned stimulant, which pushed back his first start until Wednesday.

Rogers told MLB.com that he took a number of over-the-counter supplements last spring. His shoulder hurt, his wrists hurt. He would try anything to make it back to the Brewers' roster. And he took something he shouldn't have, though he can't pinpoint what it was because he tried so many different supplements.

"The more you're around this game, it matures you. I made a mistake," Rogers said of the failed test. "But the Brewers stuck by me the whole time and I just want to get to the big leagues and help them out."

Rogers acknowledged he didn't exactly shine in Wednesday's start, a three-inning, two-run performance. Oklahoma City won, 7-5.

But there were glimpses of the old Rogers, the one who got a short call-up to Milwaukee in 2010 and was the No. 5 overall pick in the June 2004 draft before his career was sidetracked by injuries.

His blazing fastball was still there, clocked in the mid-90s. Rogers allowed a solo home run in the second inning and got into a jam in the third, but kept his composure to avoid giving up a big inning.

"I was (angry) to give up the home run, of course. Nobody wants to give up a homer, but they happen," Rogers said. "I really just want to get ahead of guys. Just throw strike one and stay ahead in the count, let my stuff do what it does and let my defense play behind me. You start putting guys on base, that's when you're going to get into trouble. Pound the ball in the middle of the strike zone and trust my defense.

"I just want to keep improving, you know what I mean? I came a long way this spring. I know I'm not exactly where I want to be yet, but I can see the progress, for sure. It's definitely going in the right direction, so as long as that continues I'll be happy."

THAT OLD FEELING

Rogers, a pitcher accustomed to rehab work after a pair of shoulder surgeries earlier in his professional career, said rehabbing from carpal tunnel problems was "kind of crazy" by comparison.

"What was real frustrating was having the ball be in my hand and my arm felt great (but) I couldn't feel the ball," Rogers said. "It was as mental, I think, as it was physical, because the ball, once it's back in your hand, you've just got to let it go. You let it rip."

Now, Rogers said he is starting to feel like himself, crediting work he did with Brewers pitching coach Rick Kranitz and others in the Brewers organization this spring for helping get him over the psychological hurdles of his injury.

"I'm just trying to work on getting that fluidity back, getting my foot down, just simplifying my mechanics so we're not thinking about trying to do all this stuff over the rubber and can just think about what's going on at the plate.

"Coming back from not being able to feel the ball, you need to trust the ball coming out of your hand. I trust it now and that's the best feeling, because last year I didn't."

SEEKING NORMALCY

Translating that feeling to wins, and hopefully another shot at pitching in the major is not a lost dream. It's attainable.

"(Rogers) is a special talent. He's got the ability," said Nashville pitching coach Fred Dabney, who acknowledged the Brewers organization is still very high on Rogers. "You know, he's trying to get to that point where he gets more consistent and that's what we're hoping happens."

"Facing adversity in this game, all these guys will do it at some point and time. Make progress, take steps, being consistent. (Wednesday) he was a little inconsistent, but he did some good things, also. We've just got to be consistent with those good things."

A year and a half after his debut in the majors, Rogers deliberated on what it will mean to get back there. For Rogers, it's just about feeling normal again.

"Everybody wants to pitch in the big leagues. I think that's what everybody wants to do. Right?" Rogers said.

"After my shoulder surgery, I made it up in 2010 and I don't see any reason why it would be different now. I'm ready to get into the season and get things rolling here, get back on track, to get some normalcy back in my life.

"There were times of frustration, absolutely. I really tried never to say, 'Why me?' "

Mark Rogers returned to the mound Wednesday for the Nashville Sounds, the top farm team of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Photo courtesy of Michael Strasinger

http://media.pressherald.com/images/MarkRogers2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ex-Cat Brown glad to be home after rough start

Daniel Berk, Arizona Daily Star

Jordan Brown's trip to Tucson couldn't have come at a better time.

The former Arizona Wildcats star needed something to smile about and Tucson has always brought out the best in him.

"The last couple of months of baseball have been awful," said Brown, who started in right field for Nashville on Friday night. "It's been a really poor experience."

Brown, who helped lead the Arizona Wildcats to the College World Series in 2004, was released on the final day of spring training by the Astros. A free agent in the offseason, he chose the Astros and thought it was a perfect fit.

Instead, the organization decided Brown wasn't in its plans and informed him after a solid showing in spring that he was on his own.

"They tried to explain their reasoning, but I was so stunned, I just walked out," said Brown, who began his minor-league career in 2005 and has more than 2,700 career at-bats. "No matter what they try to tell you, it doesn't change the fact that it happened."

Brown headed back to Tucson, where he makes his offseason home with his wife, Mendi, and two children, Damon and Alexis.

He had two choices. He could stay in town and work out on his own, waiting for a call from another organization. Or, he could sign with a team in the Mexican League and head south.

He decided to sign with Campeche of the Mexican League. On the 12th day with his new team, Brown got word the Milwaukee Brewers wanted to sign him and he was to report to Nashville, where he finished last season.

He joined the club earlier this month and came into Friday's game with a .244 average in 13 games. He went 1 for 3 Friday for the Sounds in a 4-3 win over Tucson.

"To leave for the game from my own house where I have my wife and kids was very weird," said Brown of his routine before Thursday's game. "I've driven by here before and knew it was here, but I've never played as a professional in Tucson before.

"It was weird getting on the field."

Thursday was a quiet night for the former Wildcat with just about 15 friends and family in attendance.

But Friday was a different story with more than 100 people at Kino Stadium to cheer him on.

His brother in-law, former Wildcat pitcher Lance Dickson, rented one suite and a friend rented another. He also left a handful of tickets for other friends.

"It's always easy to tell which players are coming home based on the ticket requests," Nashville manager Mike Guerrero said. "I don't know him very well yet, but Jordan seems like a great guy."

The 28-year-old spent the most recent offseason working out at Hi Corbett Field with Shelley Duncan and current Tucson Padres reliever Cory Burns.

He faced Burns on Thursday and was plunked on the foot by a curveball, prompting him to send his buddy a postgame text.

"I called him a, well I can't say what I called him," Brown said laughing.

Brown, who follows the Wildcats regularly thanks to an application on his phone, is a die-hard fan.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds' Schafer would run through walls to reach majors

By Steve Carp, LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

As David Cooper's blast sailed toward the wall in right-center field at Cashman Field, Logan Schafer was in a high-speed pursuit of the ball.

The Nashville Sounds' center fielder just missed snagging Cooper's shot, and he collided with the laminated wood fence, the ball trickling away from him. While a dazed Schafer tried to get his bearings, Cooper scooted around the bases for an inside-the-park three-run homer, breaking a 6-6 tie in what would be a 10-8 51's win Monday.

Two days later, Schafer was still miffed at not having tracked down the ball, which had traveled approximately 425 feet.

"I should have had it," he said. "But I play the game hard. I just try not to be reckless."

Schafer, a third-round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in 2008 and one of the organization's top prospects, knows he has to play that way if he intends to gain a permanent spot in the major leagues.

"When I got called up last September, I got five at-bats," said Schafer, who went 0-for-4 with a walk Wednesday in the Sounds' 5-3 victory in the third game of a four-game series that concludes tonight. "But the real stuff I got out of it was learning how the guys up there approach their job."

Schafer is learning an important job - that of a leadoff hitter. He is batting .260, and his on-base percentage, the more critical statistic for leadoff men, is .317. Schafer would like that number to be higher. So would Nashville manager Mike Guerrero.

"I'm trying to work counts better and draw more walks," Schafer said. "The thing I've had to adjust to most is taking pitches and not swinging at pitches I know I can hit. I'm getting more comfortable with it, but it's something I have to keep working at.

"It's a fun spot, but it's also an important position in the order. If I can get on and give our big boppers a chance to do their thing, then I'm doing my job."

Guerrero doesn't need Schafer to walk more to improve his on-base percentage.

"I think it's about being selective and having a plan up at the plate," Guerrero said. "The other thing is knowing how aggressive to be in a given situation. But he has a good feel for the game, and he's getting better."

Schafer, 25, would like to fulfill the lofty expectations Brewers fans have for him. He's trying to stay patient, knowing Milwaukee's outfield is crowded.

"My focus is strictly on getting better every day," said Schafer, who played two years at Cal Poly and had been drafted by Boston in 2006 (31st round) and Colorado in 2007 (47th round). "It's all about putting in the work."

Schafer's biggest challenge has been staying healthy. He has had injuries the past two seasons, suffering a left groin strain and breaking his right foot in 2010 and breaking his right thumb last year. And running into walls can be hazardous to one's health.

"It was absolutely scary the other night," he said of his Monday collision with the wall. "I felt a numbness and a tingle in my kneecap. But after a couple of minutes, it was all right.

"Would I do it again? Absolutely. I don't know how to play the game any other way. I'm still mad I didn't make that catch."

Logan Schafer was the Brewers' third-round draft pick in 2008.

Jason Bean/Las Vegas Review-Journal

Photo at link

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

New Sounds could be a hit

Gibbons, Brown bring offense needed power

by Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

New Sounds slugger Jay Gibbons brings Nashville a big bat that includes more than 100 major-league homers.

Former International League batting champion Jordan Brown, who like Gibbons joined the Sounds in May, already has seen his lumber begin to heat up.

The two pickups share plenty of similarities, including the belief they can help Nashville’s scuffling lineup turn itself around.

“We’ve got a lot of good hitters. It just seems like the few days I’ve been here we just haven’t put it together all at once,” said Gibbons, 35, who was called up from Double-A Huntsville on May 28.

Heading into Thursday’s series opener at Iowa, Nashville was last in the 16-team Pacific Coast League in hits (487) and runs (206), 15th in homers (37) and 14th in batting average (.254).

Gibbons hit 127 home runs in parts of nine big-league seasons with the Orioles (2001-07) and the Dodgers (2010-11).

“I saw (Brown) play a little bit last year,” Gibbons said. “He is a lot like me as a player. Left-handed, has some pop and can play first and (left and right field). Just the few days that I’ve been here he’s been the one that’s been hitting the most. I’ve been really impressed.”

Brown is hitting .315, despite getting off to a slow start after joining the team on May 3.

Brown started this season in the Mexican League after he was released by the Astros on the final day of spring training. He gave the Sounds’ offense a big boost last year, hitting .317 after arriving in midseason.

The 28-year-old, who grew his hair out long during the offseason, smiled at comparisons to Gibbons, who is 35.

“He’s been a guy that’s been a 20-plus home run guy in the big leagues (three times). If we were the same guy I would have a few more zeroes in my bank account,” said Brown, who made it to the majors for 26 games with the Indians in 2010.

“A player like (Gibbons) is certainly something you hope for whenever you have a struggling offense.”

Gibbons has been playing mostly left field and Brown has played first base in an effort to get both bats in the lineup.

“We need to produce some runs,” Sounds manager Mike Guerrero said. “I think both of them have already proven themselves. We’re hoping that they pick up the slack for us since (Brooks) Conrad was called up.”

Conrad was leading the Sounds with a .405 average and 10 home runs in 74 at-bats when he was called up to the Brewers for the second time this season. That cleared the way for Gibbons’ promotion from Double-A Huntsville, where he was hitting .316.

“My role is going to be to drive in runs,” Gibbons said. “I know when Conrad was here he knocked the cover off the ball. I just hope I can fill (the void) a little bit.”

He is hitting .118 in seven games with the Sounds.

Gibbons was released from the Orioles after being named in the 2007 Mitchell Report for using performance-enhancing drugs.

Now he will try to reach the big leagues via Nashville for the second time. He hit .312 in 29 games with the Sounds in 2008 and eventually made it back to the majors with the Dodgers in 2010.

Last season, Gibbons started in the majors but battled complications from preseason vision correction surgery. He began to hit well in Triple-A following another eye surgery in June, finishing the year in Albuquerque hitting .300, but he did not get called up.

“I still think I can (reach the majors) and that’s why I put the uniform on,” Gibbons said. “Yeah, I have been through this route before and I’m comfortable with doing this and trying to re-prove myself.

“I feel like, as an older player, you have to do that every year because time is really not on our side, baseball-wise, and you’ve got to keep proving you can play.”

Sounds players Jay Gibbons and Jordan Brown (Photo by DIPTI VAIDYA, THE TENNESSEAN)

http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20120608&Category=SPORTS04&ArtNo=306080061&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&New-Sounds-could-hit

Archived