Brewer Fanatic

Your 2012 Huntsville Stars

Mass Haas
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Scooter. Great guy while in Appleton, always polite and courteous to the fans.

Wish nothing but the best for the guy!

That tweet of Stetter's is mega funny! I was truly laughing out loud!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I realize that we generally try to stay really positive on players in this forum, but I can't stop myself yet again from posting on this...

Kentrail Davis has just come nowhere close to the expectations thus far in his career. His K tallies are pretty troubling, as they are directly standing in the way of him developing into the big-league hitter so many had him pegged to be (I was high on his selection back on his draft day). 1 HR so far this season for a college CF whose bat was supposedly good enough to play in RF. Not so much at this point.

Really hope he can get his swing figured out, but so far there hasn't been a whole lot to indicate that he will. I guess one positive thing to take away from this season is that Kentrail hasn't really shown any difference in his v.LH/v.RH splits. And he's been a really effective basestealer thus far, so if he can get on base more, he can put that skill to further use.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think Scooter has the chance to be a fan favorite in Milwaukee for a long time. Unfortunately that Weeks contract is standing in the way. Hopefully we can find a way to move Weeks in a year or two when Scooter is ready.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Stars' Josh Prince is epitome of resilience, from rodeo to baseball

By Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- You gotta get back on the horse. Life throws you off, you climb back on and try to ride some more.

That, as we'll soon see, is as literal as it is figurative in the life of Josh Prince.

He is the Huntsville Stars' center fielder. He's the team's resident cowboy and Cajun. He puts Tony Chachere's seasoning on everything but Frosted Flakes. He keeps a supply of the spicy stuff in his locker to liven up the post-game buffet.

His food and Prince are growing equally hot. He's added 22 points to his batting average in three weeks. He's added 80 points to where it stood two months ago.

Going into today's game against Mobile, he was batting .271 (in the top 20 in the Southern League) with 74 hits (10th), 44 runs scored (fourth) and 25 stolen bases (tied for second).

Manager Darnell Coles said there was "no question" Prince belonged in last week's Southern League All-Star Game and is "highly disappointed that he wasn't."

He's making the difficult transition from infield to center field, and that's been a work in progress.

"I feel like I'm slowly working into where I need to be and trying to get better every day so that people say, 'He's a center fielder' instead of 'He's a shortstop playing center field,' " Prince said.

Working through the mistakes is nothing new. After he let a ground ball go through his legs in T-ball, older brothers Ran and Dooley had him in the front yard for hours, bashing ground balls at him, "sweat and tears coming out," mom Kathy recalled.

Quite simply, "He has a comfort level," Coles said. "As far as I'm concerned, he's made himself a prospect" after two injury plagued seasons that left Prince tagged with question marks.

He's had to bounce back before.

Prince is a guy who's dusted off the seat of his jeans more than a time or two after getting thrown from a horse.

The ultimate irony to the baseball injuries (a collarbone separation in 2010, a torn groin muscle in 2011) is that Prince played a little bit of everything - football, basketball, etc. - and never was hurt. He was even a rodeo competitor and never got much more than some bumps and bruises.

He was a bareback rider, bull rider and calf-roper until he was a teen. He won seven all-around buckles before he was 9.

"You put him on a horse and run a calf out there right now and I promise you he can rope it," said his father B.B., who competed in rodeo at McNeese State. "We rodeo'd all our lives."

The success Prince is enjoying this year "is from finally being healthy," he said. "I'm finally able to work out in the offseason and get stronger and be able to last the whole time. I can actually show the reason they drafted me. I'm finally at 100 percent to play the game the way I can play."

He's had a lot of help dusting himself off, trying to get back on the horse after the injuries. Some has been tangible, some symbolic.

Around Josh Prince's bare ankle is a tattered bracelet of sorts. It's a thin strip of leather, snipped from a baseball, from either side of a row of seams.

His maternal grandmother, Georgie Ancelet, gave it to him before his sophomore year in high school. It came from the Tug McGraw Foundation's "You Gotta Believe" campaign and is a reminder to have faith in something even larger than oneself.

"Every time I uncontrollably notice it, I think of her," he said. "It reminds me I've got to give it to God."

It's the same lesson Kathy has stressed. She is "the most religious person I've ever known," he said. "She just kept telling me, 'Give it to God. Give everything you have to Him, and He'll continue to guide you in the right direction."

Kathy works as a school bus driver and a secretary. She and B.B. live in Sulphur, La., which hugs Interstate 10 down in southwest Louisiana, not far from the Texas state line. Next week, they'll load a camper and head to Pensacola to meet Josh and his teammates. Some Cajun cooking and Tony Chachere's will ride shotgun.

The Princes live in the same home they've been in for 33 years. Their address could not be more appropriate for a family of such faith, for a son swiveling his career back around in the right direction.

They live on High Hope Road.

The Huntsville Times/Glenn Baeske Photo

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/11250116-large.jpg

Not trying to cause debate, but trying to raise awareness. Josh Prince's OPS is higher than Scooter's. His ability to walk from rookie ball has returned. Still no reports as to why a very good defensive SS (according to publications) has been converted to a position where we have depth.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Mittelstaedt ready to wear many hats for Stars

By Bill Bryant, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- For T.J. Mittelstaedt, it's like he's a teenager all over again.

One day he's at third base. The next, left field.

He might fill in at second base if necessary, and right field won't be a problem, either. He's played there plenty, too.

"When I was 13 and playing travel ball, the coaches wanted me to play everywhere because I could play everywhere," Mittelstaedt said. "We had a bunch of good guys in the infield, so instead of sitting someone who was hot, I'd go in the outfield.

"Fifty percent outfield and 50 percent infield. That's pretty much how I've been since high school."

It's also how the former Long Beach State standout has been able to work his way to Double-A since being a 44th-round draft pick by the Brewers in 2010. The 24-year-old made his debut with the Huntsville Stars on Tuesday night in Birmingham, poking a double and scoring their lone run in a 5-1 loss.

He played third in his Stars' debut. He moved to left Wednesday -- going 0-for-4 with a walk -- as Huntsville beat Chattanooga 5-1 in the first of a six-game homestand at Joe Davis Stadium.

"He's a good player, a heads-up player," Stars manager Darnell Coles said. "He can play a number of places. It's never a bad thing to be versatile."

Some players make their way up the minor league food chain based on sheer numbers. Mittelstaedt has held his own on that count, but the number of positions he can play has given him added credibility.

Before being called up from Brevard County, he'd played 39 games in the outfield and 37 in the infield. Last year at Wisconsin in the Midwest League, he even pitched in a couple of games.

"That was strictly a saving the bullpen kind of thing," laughed Mittelstaedt, who still works on his knuckleball occasionally in the outfield.

Because he plays in so many spots, time management is essential in Mittelstaedt's day-to-day preparation. He makes sure he never goes two straight days without getting work in the infield, just in case he's needed.

Mittelstaedt would just as soon stay in the outfield or play second base, though he said "the ability to change the game at third with a big play can get me going."

Regardless of what number is beside his name on the lineup card, the 5-foot-10, 185-pounder has shown an inclination to hit, often with surprising power, and steal bases.

Last year, the left-handed batter hit .293 with 12 homers and 28 steals in 113 games. In 76 games at Brevard County, he poked nine homers, 17 doubles and seven triples to go along with 14 steals.

"He finds a way to get his at-bats," Coles said. "If you get locked into a certain position (in an organization), and there's someone in front of you who can really play, it can be tough. But he's able to keep his options open, which not everyone can do."

Having watched his team struggle to score runs in recent games, Coles can appreciate what Mittelstaedt brings to the plate.

"He's got a good idea of what to do as a hitter," Coles said. "He takes pitches, he's not afraid to hit with two strikes. He's a welcome addition to our team."

Mittelstaedt, for his part, is happy to be here.

"It's the next step, and it came a little sooner than expected," he said. "It's a real good chance for me to prove what I can do."

T.J. Mittelstaedt had nine homers and 17 doubles in only 76 games at Brevard County. (Huntsville Times Photo/Dave Dieter)

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/11269515-small.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Scooter Gennett enlightens George Brett, enjoys Futures Game experience

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- George Brett witnessed a rare baseball milestone back in March, a milestone being perpetrated against the team for which he long played and is now vice president.

This past weekend, he met Scooter Gennett, the player who accomplished the milestone - hitting for the cycle against Kansas City in spring training March 25. Brett didn't make the connection.

As Gennett said, "The light bulb didn't go off."

Finally, late Sunday afternoon, there was illumination.

Gennett, the Huntsville Stars second baseman, flew out to right field in his first at-bat in the Futures Game, for baseball's top prospects.

When Gennett got back to the dugout, Brett, the honorary captain for the U.S. team, approached him.

"Why didn't you tell me you were the guy who hit for the cycle against us in spring training?" Brett said.

"I didn't think it'd be appropriate," Gennett responded.

It was the first time Gennett had hit for the cycle - he tripled in the first, had a two-run double in the second, a single in the sixth and a homer in the eighth - and it came on a day that was a total surprise in the appropriately named Phoenix suburb of Surprise.

Gennett was supposed to play a few innings in the game at the Brewers' camp. Instead, last minute, he was dispatched to play Kansas City in the split-squad game.

In reflection, and understatement, "That was a day I'll never forget," Gennett said Monday afternoon before the Stars hosted Jacksonville.

He was just back from another unforgettable day, from his appearance in the Futures Game. It was a 17-5 romp, and Gennett had a double, walk and scored a pair of runs.

He also had to face Detroit prospect Bruce Rondon, who threw three consecutive fastballs at 101 mph. (Rondon, by coincidence, is a teammate at Erie with 2011 Brewer farmhand Zack Segovia, son-in-law of Stars manager Darnell Coles.)

"It was fast," Gennett said. "That type of velocity, you don't really have time to pick up any movement or pick up anything, other than to react."

That fast, in fact, "really just out of the (pitcher's) hand you have to start your hands to be ready to hit it."

Gennett flew to Kansas City on Saturday, ending his 86-consecutive-game streak with the Stars. He checked into an upscale hotel, and picked up his equipment and some swag. A Carolina blue uniform that he gets to keep. Sunglasses. A bat with his name on it. A memorabilia baseball. Some dry-fit gear.

"Basically, we got treated like big-leaguers for a couple of days," he said. "That was a different experience for all of us."

He had dinner with his family on Saturday night, then Sunday there was a team breakfast, then off to the ballpark. At first blush, from ground level, the whole thing was "a little overwhelming," he said. But by game time, "I didn't have any nerves. You think you might, but you just trust yourself, trust your abilities."

The Futures Game invitation both encouraged and assured Gennett.

"It's something to get you to work even harder every day," he said. "It shows you that you have the ability to do it. That it's all about your work ethic and the time you put in.

"It was a good experience to get on that stage before you might be called up to the big leagues," he said. "I kinda feel like I got my feet wet."

But, as George Brett might now argue, Gennett got his feet wet against Kansas City in the spring, not in Kansas City in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Second-chance kid

Pine Forest grad Darren Byrd given new life by Brewers in Huntsville

by Brady Aymond, Pensacola News Journal

For a while, everything was going great for Pine Forest High graduate Darren Byrd.

Byrd, selected by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 18th round of the MLB draft, was rapidly ascending the minor league ladder in the Phillies’ farm system.

Then Philadelphia made back-to-back World Series appearances in 2008 and ’09 — winning it all in the first trip against the Tampa Bay Rays.

Normally, that would be a good thing, especially for a pitcher in the Phillies’ farm system.

But for Byrd, it was the exact opposite, as the club made wholesale changes after the 2009 season, one of which included releasing Byrd.

Byrd spent a few weeks in the Independent Northern League with Fargo-Moorhead before the Milwaukee Brewers gave him another shot at his dream of playing in the big leagues.

And Byrd has made the most of that second chance, as he’s currently pitching for the Double-A Huntsville Stars of the Southern League.

Byrd and his Stars are in Pensacola for a five-game series against the Blue Wahoos, giving the native son a chance to see friends and family again and play at home for the first time in his professional career.

“I haven’t been back here since February,” Byrd said. “This is my first time seeing the park. It’s nice, real nice.”

Never in his wildest dreams did Byrd ever think he’d play professional baseball in his hometown. In fact, at one point, he was sort of hoping to avoid that option.

“When I (was in high school) we had the Independent League team (Pensacola Pelicans) and I was hoping I’d never have to go that route,” Byrd said. “Once I heard they were opening a Double-A place here, I got excited about the chance to play here.

“Obviously, my goal in spring training was to go to Triple-A, but once I knew I was going to be back in Double-A, I was excited that I was going to be able to play in front of some family and friends.”

Despite the minor bump in the road, Byrd has made the most of his professional career. He’s in his eighth season and feels he’s on the right track.

“I got off to a quick start and moved pretty fast with the Phillies,” Byrd said. “I had a couple of years in High-A, then they won the World Series and had a lot of changes. Unfortunately, I was a part of that.

“I got an opportunity with the Brewers and I’m happy with where I’m at right now.”

Byrd opened his career as a starting pitcher, but has transitioned into a reliever. He currently sports a 2-5 record with a 3.25 ERA and three saves.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound right-hander was virtually untouchable at the end of June as he put together five consecutive scoreless outings. He struck out nine batters in 5.1 innings of work during that stretch.

“I’m happy with where I’m at,” Byrd said. “I know a lot of people don’t get the opportunity to play. Obviously, everyone’s goal is to play in the big leagues, and I feel like I’m still on the right path.

“And I’m young enough that if I do get consistent with it, I think I have a chance.”

As for now, Byrd is focused on helping Huntsville get through a five-game series with his hometown Blue Wahoos. Byrd had the night off on Tuesday as starter Hiram Birgos went the distance in a 6-1 win.

Byrd had his Pensacola debut in Wednesday’s game and was welcomed by a warm ovation from the crowd. He worked a perfect eighth inning, which included a strikeout.

“It’s exciting,” Byrd said. “You don’t get an opportunity like this often. I want to try to get everything taken care of early with tickets and everything so I can focus on playing when that’s over with.

“I’ve already had quite a few (ticket requests). I know by the end of the week, there’s going to be a lot of people, probably about 20-30.”

Pine Forest High graduate Darren Byrd was on the outside looking in at affiliated baseball following his release by the Philadelphia Phillies after the 2009 season. But Milwaukee gave him a chance the next year and Byrd is making the most of it as a member of the Double-A Huntsville Stars. / Bruce Graner Photo

http://cmsimg.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DP&Date=20120726&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=307260016&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Second-chance-kid

The Darren Byrd file

• 2005 graduate of Pine Forest High School; selected by Philadelphia Phillies in the 18th round (No. 547 overall) of the 2005 MLB draft.

• Went 3-1 with 2.66 ERA in 2005 with the Phillies’ Gulf Coast League rookie team.

• Opened 2006 season in Gulf Coast League and went 2-1 with 3.22 ERA before being promoted to Short-Season A Batavia of the New York-Penn League. Went 2-0 with 2.30 ERA for Batavia.

• Spent 2007 season with Low-A Lakewood of the South Atlantic League and compiled a 9-11 record with a 4.04 ERA.

• Started 2008 in Lakewood and went 1-1 with 2.80 ERA before moving up to High-A Clearwater of the Florida State League. Was 4-8 with a 4.88 ERA for Clearwater.

• Spent 2009 season in Clearwater, where he began his transition to a relief pitcher. Went 5-7 with one save and an ERA of 3.99 in 24 games. After the season, Byrd was released with a large group of other players as the Phillies made wholesale changes in the offseason.

• After four games in the Independent League with Fargo-Moorhead, Byrd was signed by the Milwaukee Brewers and sent to High-A Brevard County of the Florida State League. Went 2-4 with 4.18 ERA in 13 games with Brevard.

• Promoted to Double-A Huntsville in 2011 and went 5-3 with 2.95 ERA and one save in 41 appearances.

• Currently 2-5 with 3.25 ERA and three saves in 36 appearances for Huntsville.

Did you know?

Darren Byrd was in the same draft class of the Philadelphia Phillies in 2005 as former Blue Wahoos player Mike Costanzo. While Byrd was selected in the 18th round, Costanzo — now with the Cincinnati Reds’ Triple-A affiliate in Louisville — was selected in the second round.

http://cmsimg.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DP&Date=20120726&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=307260016&Ref=H1&MaxW=300&Border=0&Second-chance-kid

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars' pitcher Evan Anundsen, a Columbine graduate, ponders the unimaginable with Aurora shooting

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- He was sitting in Mrs. Nelson's fifth-grade class on April 20, 1999, one of those "know exactly where you were" days.

A teenage girl, wracked with tears, burst into the room, grabbed her younger sister, who was sitting next to Evan Anundsen, and bolted out.

"I sat there, being a fifth-grader, and wondering what was going on," Anundsen recalled.

Soon, similar shock and confusion spread throughout the community.

Fifteen faculty members and students were killed, including the two gunmen, in a shooting rampage at Columbine High School, five minutes from Anundsen's elementary school in the Denver suburb of Littleton.

Thirteen years and three months after the Columbine shootings, the city was rocked again by a massacre. This time, an odd-looking young man named James Holmes burst into a midnight showing of a new Batman movie in Aurora and allegedly murdered 12 and wounded 58 others.

"Denver, to me, is one of the nicest places I've ever lived. It's hard to imagine something like that could happen," said Anundsen, a Huntsville Stars pitcher. He's a Denver resident who in 2006 led Columbine to the Class 5A Colorado state championship, winning MVP honors.

Columbine is due south of downtown Denver, while Aurora sits to the east. Anundsen lives 30 minutes from the cineplex and has never attended a movie there, but later learned he shared a mutual friend with some people who were in the adjacent theater, one into which stray bullets had torn through the walls.

Anundsen is a movie buff. He was finally able to catch "Dark Knight Rises" on a Stars road trip and confessed, "It was kind of weird, though. I had roving eyes during the movie."

The Aurora shooting is "frustrating because this is the second time something this serious has happened (in the Denver area). It's hard to believe," he said.

By the time Anundsen arrived at Columbine High, "I felt safe" and had "a regular high school experience." He gives much credit to principal Frank DeAngelis, "one of the nicest, kindest individuals you'll ever want to meet in your life. He's worked hard to make it a regular school."

(Quick history interjection: Darrel Akerfelds, who played for the Stars in their 1985 inaugural season, also attended Columbine. Akerfelds, who had been a coach with the San Diego Padres and whose grown son lives in Aurora, died in June of pancreatic cancer at age 50.)

The shooters, Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, who committed suicide, made references during the rampage and left behind writings that they were outcasts, that a jock mentality ruled Columbine.

"When I went there, that was the No. 1 goal to make everybody feel the same," Anundsen said. "Nobody got special attention. It didn't matter who you were."

Anundsen is one of three children, all of whom attended Columbine in the years after the shootings. But the family had friends who were impacted. Cassie Bernall, who was murdered as she prayed while hiding underneath a library table, was a youth group leader at Anundsen's church.

When Anundsen was a Columbine senior, his fellow male classmates were rehearsing in the gym for the seniors' traditional satirical assembly program.

"It was on April 20," he said. "That's when it hit me the most. We walked out of the gym and I saw parents of the students that were victims and they were walking around the school. It was the most eerie feeling in the world. That's when it was so realistic.

"Over time, people don't think about it as much," he continued. "But every year when that date hits, it's obviously really noticeable, that people were affected by it."

That date is now joined by July 20, when the unimaginable happened once again.

The Huntsville Times /Robin Conn Photo

Huntsville Stars pitcher Evan Anundsen

http://media.al.com/huntsville-times/photo/2012/07/11369533-large.jpg

Side Notes -- Was wondering why there were so many photos of Evan in the recent photo gallery, they were obviously for this article.

Anundsen (career stats), a 4th round 2006 pick, has been in the system seven years, and is eligible for minor league free agency this fall. We've all known about the Columbine/Littleton birthplace/hometown connection, but until now, we believe this is the first time a journalist has pursued the topic with Evan in an online format available to us.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Seeing Stars up the middle at Double-A

Angel-turned-Brewer Segura joins Gennett in Huntsville infield

By Andrew Pentis / Special to MLB.com

On the one play up the middle of the infield that is up in the air before it happens -- who covers the bag on a stolen base attempt -- how does a Cincinnati-born second baseman communicate with the Dominican shortstop to his right? Actually, there are no words said, only a simple gesture behind the webbing of their mitts.

"It's open-mouth, closed-mouth," said Ohio native Scooter Gennett. "If he gives me an open mouth, then I have the bag. If he gives me a closed mouth, he has the bag. The shortstop has priority. He decides. But if there is something that he doesn't know about the guy, I might flash him back a closed mouth for me to have it."

"You have to be smart," adds Jean Segura of San Juan, who speaks his second language with almost as much confidence as he practices his first love. "It depends what pitch [is thrown], how late or out front is the hitter, where the catcher calls a pitch -- there are a lot of things you have to focus on. Sometimes, we [know in advance], sometimes we don't. Sometimes we go by the pitch. If it's an outside pitch, I'll cover it. If it's an inside pitch, he'll cover it."

There is of course more to do than monitoring the opposition's running game for Gennett and Segura, both 21 and now two of the Brewers' top seven prospects after the latter infielder was shipped from Los Angeles in one of many pre-deadline deals (see table, below). They turned their first double play in their joint debut on Sunday, a 6-4-3 maneuver in the third inning.

"We got that out of the way. It was real smooth. We're going to turn a lot more and hopefully make some Top 10s with it," Gennett said, referring to Top 10 highlight reels. "I am really excited to work with him and pick up some things. It was a great trade that's only going to make our organization better, but it's also going to make me and him better."

And in the short-term?

"We got what we needed," he added, "and that was a shortstop."

In fact, the Southern League Stars have had seven different shortstops -- including the recently released Tommy Manzella -- play at least 17 games at the position. Segura is No. 8, at least for the rest of 2012.

"I feel good about the trade," said Segura, who played against his new teammate in the Midwest League in 2010 and in the MLB Futures Game last June. "I have known Scooter for a long time. He's a good second baseman, and I'm happy to share the field with him."

And in the long-term?

"It's a good chance," he added, "for me to have success in the big leagues."

That's because Segura's first and former organization was flush with Erick Aybar (shortstop) and Howie Kendrick (second base), who are contracted to be side by side through the 2015 season. Coincidentally, Aybar, who is currently on the disabled list, and Kendrick are the only Minors duo in recent years to also play together in the Majors. They were stationed at Double-A Arkansas in 2005 and at Triple-A Salt Lake in 2006 while making their MLB debuts three weeks apart. (The Halos would sign Segura out of his home country in January 2007.)

Aybar and Kendrick may not be the anomaly for long, as Huntsville's is not the only formidable pairing with a chance to arrive next. Consider the connected talent at Double-A: Manny Machado (shortstop) and Jonathan Schoop (second base) at Bowie; Wilmer Flores (SS) and Reese Havens (2B) at Binghamton; Hak-Ju Lee (SS) and the just-promoted Derek Dietrich (2B) at Montgomery; and, a sleeper set, Chris Owings (SS) and David Nick (2B) at Mobile.

Why have there been so few prospects to realize their potential alongside one another? Like people, positions change. Take Gennett, who was drafted as a Florida high school shortstop in 2009. He switched to second in May 2010. Then there is Segura, who played second his first four years as a pro before sliding over to short on Opening Day 2011.

One Milwaukee scout said his organization plans to leave Segura where he is "as long as he continues to show that he can play there." But the scout added that, while he may be in the minority, he views him as more of a second baseman or, with Gennett in play, a third baseman. (For his part, Gennett said this, "I think I can be an above-average second baseman defensively in the big leagues.")

So Brewers All-Star Rickie Weeks need not fear for his job at second, not yet anyway. Gennett (14 errors in 103 games) and Segura (18 errors in 97) are not flawless farmhands by any means, but there is also a lot to like about their futures. One scout from another National League club who has seen the 5-foot-9, 164-pound Gennett this season, said he is most impressed by his hitting ability, his high energy and added that his colleagues undervalue him because of his size. All three characteristics are shared by Segura, who at 5-foot-10 and 164 pounds just happens to be listed one inch taller and one pound heavier.

The similarities on offense: Gennett batted .304 over his first two pro seasons and has posted .285/.326/.380 marks so far this season, his first at Double-A. Segura meanwhile was a career .316 hitter entering this year and, through 94 games at Arkansas and three at Huntsville, he has put up a .297/.347/.406 line. Yes, a lot to like.

Do the ballplayers see their new marriage without separation?

"I definitely see that in our future. I definitely see us continuing to move up," Gennett said, "and ultimately turning double plays in the big leagues."

"We're going to play and maybe we'll move out together," Segura, traded once already, added cautiously. "You never know."

Jean Segura (shortstop) and Scooter Gennett (second base) form quite the combo. (Jason Clark Photo)

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/07/31/HTYXLF4d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hunter Morris enjoying historic season, should be shoo-in for Southern League MVP

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- We knew a year ago that Hunter Morris was making history.

Who knew that, before he got through, he'd become downright historic.

Morris, three years younger than the Huntsville franchise itself, is in the final stretch of the greatest season any Stars player has ever had.

Though, much as ex-Star Jose Canseco's entire career has had an asterisk indelibly attached to it, let's hang an asterisk on that "greatest season" phrase for a few more paragraphs.

If Morris is not named the Southern League's Most Valuable Player in a couple of weeks, there needs to be a Congressional investigation. He'll be the first MVP since Corey Hart in 2003, only the fifth in team history.

"I've watched him all year, and he's got my vote," said Stars manager Darnell Coles.

Keep this in mind. Time is running out to embrace this greatest season. The Stars are in their penultimate five-game home stand, which began Tuesday against Montgomery. They're back Aug. 24 for the final five home games.

Morris, a 23-year-old first baseman, is a graduate of Grissom High. He was All-SEC at Auburn.

On May 21, 2011, he made his historic Stars debut, becoming the first Huntsville native to play for the team. He went 2-for-4, with a triple and two runs scored; alas, it was but a temporary promotion from Class A.

This year, let's credit the Milwaukee organization for the patience to keep him here this season, a blessing for the Huntsville franchise.

He has become a much-needed face for this team.

"Un-be-lievable value," Stars general manager Buck Rogers said.

The buzz surrounding Morris helped spike attendance. The publicity he received began to splash over his teammates, and they accepted the attention, bringing more positive exposure for the Stars.

He handled all this while being stretched cellophane-thin. Hunter and wife Maci have a young son, Tripp. He can't go anywhere in town without somebody knowing him. Every game, there are friends and family in the box seats. Seldom a night goes by without an interview and seldom was a request for a public appearance refused.

When the Stars hosted a Boy Scout camp-out after a game, Morris hung around with the scouts, playing catch, eating pizza and signing autographs.

When visiting children in the hospital, Morris and his father Jeff bought a menagerie of Beanie Babies to pass around.

"He's unselfish," Rogers said.

While doing all that, he's put together a season that dwarfs Hart's MVP performance in 2003 and is most comparable to that of Terry Steinbach (1986), the team's second Southern League MVP, and Mike Coolbaugh in 1997.

Morris will join Coolbaugh as the only Huntsville player in the top 10 in homers, doubles, RBIs, total bases and slugging in a season. Going into this homestand, with 20 games remaining, he leads the Southern League in homers, doubles and total bases. He's second in average and in RBIs. He's also improved his fielding "in leaps and bounds," according to Coles.

Now, let's go back to that asterisk. Take the 1985 MVP season of Canseco, in the Stars' debut year, out of the comparative equation. First, for his acknowledgment of using performance-enhancing drugs even then. Second, he was here only 58 games. Third, for those two months, he was the best prospect the Southern League has yet to see.

Canseco, for far too long, remained synonymous with this franchise for long-time fans.

It's time to elevate Hunter Morris in that position.

"He's done everything he could do," Coles said, "on and off the field."

The numbers make him MVP.

The maturity, grace and unselfishness mixed with those numbers is what makes him the greatest Huntsville Star yet.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars, Brewers headed to bargaining table as working agreement nears renewal time

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Doug Melvin, the executive vice president and general manager of the Milwaukee Brewers, expects discussions to begin soon with the Huntsville Stars regarding their working agreement, which is up for renewal at season's end.

Melvin, making a stop in Huntsville to check out his team's Class AA prospects, said he could have a phone conversation with team owner Miles Prentice as soon as today.

Prentice, who was last here the first week of the season, was traveling Wednesday en route from the New York-Penn League All-Star Game; he also owns a team in that league.

According to the website minorleaguesource.com, only eight of the 30 player development contracts (PDC) between Double-A teams and their major league affiliates have not been extended. The PDCs are signed for two- or four-year increments at the end of even-numbered seasons.

"We'll eventually be making a decision," Melvin said. "When we have a decision we'll announce it."

Milwaukee, Miami, Seattle, Oakland, San Diego Cleveland, the Mets and Angels are the only teams not renewed, according to the website, one of the most reliable trackers of minor league developments.

Melvin addressed a number of subjects during the Stars' game with Montgomery Wednesday night.

Various Brewers officials have voiced their concern with aging Joe Davis Stadium.

"They're the same (concerns)," Melvin said. "Take last year's story and reprint it."

In September, major league rosters expand to 40 players, but Melvin said "we haven't decided" which players might be called up from the minors to fill those spots.

First baseman Hunter Morris and second baseman Scooter Gennett have clearly been Huntsville's best players and both should be Southern League All-Stars at season's end.

"They've both had very, very good years," Melvin said. "Staying here the whole year (has helped). I'm a big believer at staying a whole year at one level and having a big year."

Melvin related that, in his six minor league seasons, he was never promoted or demoted in-season, comparing it to going up the ladder in elementary school.

"Today, it's all about when a guy is doing well, it's 'When are we going to see him?' A fan in Nashville is saying, 'When is Hunter Morris coming up?'" Melvin said.

The Brewers organization has been pleased with the work of manager Darnell Coles and his staff of Chris Hook and Dwayne Hosey.

"(Coles) has done a very good job here," Melvin said. "I know our guys like him. (Assistant GM) Gord Ash is very happy with him. Reid (Nichols, special assistant to the general manager) is happy. We're all pleased with the job he's done. He played in the big leagues. He's been through it all. He's been a hitting coach. He has leadership qualities. He understands the games, the highs and lows of the game. He understands the development process and understands the balance of that with trying to win ball games."

While Morris was the first Huntsville native to play for the Stars, a second is waiting in the wings. Lefthanded pitcher Jed Bradley, a 22-year-old who played at Huntsville High and was a first-round pick out of Georgia Tech in 2011, was 5-10 with a 5.53 ERA at Class A Brevard.

"He's got a little bit of fatigue at this time," Melvin said. "There are some physical things with him. He's a hard worker, almost to the point where he works too hard. We need to get him with the understanding ... that you step into pro ball, it's not a 50-game college season. It's 140 games.

"He started off real well. He hasn't had success recently and we think it's a little bit of physical aspect to that."

"I don't think anything is ever set in stone. Right now, the focus for Hunter is to be the best first baseman he can be. It could be a situation where we've got Corey, we obviously still like [Mat] Gamel, and we have Morris -- that's a good problem to have."

"I don't think anything is ever set in stone. Right now, the focus for Hunter is to be the best first baseman he can be. It could be a situation where we've got Corey, we obviously still like [Mat] Gamel, and we have Morris -- that's a good problem to have."

Wow. totally missed that sentence in there. I suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Huntsville-born Hunter Morris named the Southern League's MVP

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Seldom has the glare of the spotlight shone on a minor leaguer as intensely as it has this summer on Hunter Morris, who was the first Huntsville-born man to play for the Stars.

Seldom, if ever in the 28 years of the franchise, has a player responded as magnificently.

After one of the greatest individual seasons in Huntsville history, Morris was rewarded by being named the Southern League's Most Valuable Player.

"Everything came together this year," Morris said Monday in grand understatement. "It all happened a lot faster than I thought it would."

Morris, the Stars' 23-year-old first baseman, led the Southern League in home runs (28), RBIs (113), hits (158), slugging percentage (563) and total bases (294) and batted .303.

He tied a Huntsville record for doubles in a season and is in the team's Top 10 of season-bests in seven offensive categories.

He did so in what he called the "unique situation" as the hometown player on the hometown team. His parents, Jeff and Linda, were at most games, as was Hunter's wife, the former Macie West, who played softball at Sparkman and Auburn, and their young son, Tripp.

For Father's Day, the Stars actually commissioned a bobblehead doll of Hunter holding Tripp.

Morris, who played high school baseball and basketball at Grissom and went on to become an All-SEC player at Auburn, became the fifth Star to be named league MVP.

Jose Canseco, who played in only 58 games for Huntsville in 1985, was the MVP in the Stars' inaugural season, followed by Terry Steinbach in 1986. Ben Grieve was the 1997 MVP and Corey Hart was MVP in 2003.

"It really is a great honor," Morris said. "I couldn't be more excited to achieve that as a personal goal. There are other more important things, because baseball is a team sport. But this has got to be one of my biggest personal goals to achieve in my career."

It joins a long list of other awards, though.

Morris was four times named Player of the Year by The Huntsville Times for our All-Metro baseball teams. He was the Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Year in 2008.

In 2010, he was named the SEC Player of the Year, leading the conference in hits, homers and slugging percentage.

He was drafted in June 2010 by the Milwaukee Brewers in the fourth round (he had been a second-round pick of the Red Sox in 2007 after his senior year at Grissom).

That began the path toward Joe Davis Stadium.

Morris made his Huntsville debut on May 21, 2011, going 2-for-4 with a triple. It was only a four-game call-up from Class A Brevard County, replacing an injured player, but he went 6-for-17 with three extra base hits.

It was a sign of things to come.

"Looking back at that point last year, and where I am now, I wouldn't have thought this was quite possible," Morris said. "I thought I had a long way to go. I knew I had a long way to go. And I still have a lot farther to go and a lot more to accomplish as far as improvement and development."

Not only did Morris put up terrific offensive numbers, manager Darnell Coles noted a vast improvement in his defense.

His impact off the field was felt greatly, too. General manager Buck Rogers praised Morris for his willingness to be involved in charitable events and media appearances.

In some ways, Morris became the new face of the Huntsville Stars. To previous generations of fans, the face of the Stars had been Don Mincher, ex-big leaguer who served as general manager, broadcaster and owner before becoming Southern League president.

Like Morris, Mincher, who died March 4, was a left-handed-hitting first baseman born in Huntsville.

Former Grissom High and Auburn star Hunter Morris becomes fifth Huntsville Star named as Southern League MVP. (The Huntsville Times/Bob Gathany)

http://media.al.com/huntsville-times/photo/9602293-large.jpg

Archived