Brewer Fanatic

Your 2012 Huntsville Stars

Mass Haas
Not to forget driving over fences and playing like a gold glover out there.... I want to know what that scouts thinks IS an athletic guy..... he said he didn't mind short pitchers if they are athletic, I don't see how he is any less athletic than any other quality short pitcher

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this guy hit for the cycle in minor league camp recently?

I may have heard that wrong and it may have been back in college, but after watching his incredible-ace like stuff, his incredible defense in CF and his incredible results, I really think this guy is a scout for the Mariners or some other equally pathetic team.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

On a long Huntsville Stars work day, roving instructors play key role in development process

By Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- It's 2:20 p.m. It's the ballplayers' time of day that you don't see. They don't merely punch the clock and start a three-hour work day a few minutes before "Oh, say can you see ..."

"We spend more hours here than our apartments," one player observes, not entirely thrilled with that fact.

It's busy and early and hot. And it's over-run with outsiders.

The rovers are in town.

They're the gypsies of minor league baseball, special instructors who hop from team to team. They give a new voice to the same sermon, help polish skills with one-on-one tutoring and observe the talent.

And, yes, try not to mess up the karma.

On Thursday afternoon, Bob Miscik, Don Money and Lee Tunnell are working with the Huntsville Stars. Miscik (2009) and Money (2005-2008) are former Stars managers.

There's some nice symmetry here. Current manager Darnell Coles is a former rover.

Miscik, the Brewers' field coordinator and infield instructor, is throwing soft pop flies that infielders chase over their shoulders like wide receivers running post patterns.

Nearby, Money, a special advisor in the Brewers' system, wields a fungo bat, waiting to provide grounders and guidance to third baseman Andy Gonzalez. He's worth a listen. Money was recently named the best-fielding third baseman in Milwaukee history.

Tunnell, the Brewers' roving minor league pitching instructor, is in the bullpen, the Stars' pitchers around him in a semi-circle as he gives a brief lecture.

The first minor league team I covered, in 1976, the manager didn't have a coach, much less "roving" help. These days, scarcely a homestand goes by without an instructor visit.

You want to collect hotel points for a living, this is a way to do it. After six weeks at spring training, Miscik has been here since Sunday and catches a flight this morning for Wisconsin.

Money, the winningest manager in Huntsville history now in a "new chapter" after 15 years as a manager, leaves here Tuesday to join the Brevard County club in Florida.

At each stop, the rovers need "to have a feel for things," as Miscik puts it. Don't put undue pressure on players. Blend with the permanent staff. And, as Miscik says, there's "the if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation.

"It's great to have them," Coles says. "It's two-fold. They're here to help us (Coles and coaches Chris Hook and Dwayne Hosey), but they're here to help the players, too."

"I'm here, basically, to grade the team, talk to the manager and coaches, do my rounds and talk baseball and throw my two cents at 'em," Money says.

Asked his job description, Miscik grins, "I hit a lot of bouncing balls."

It's more than that. The Brewers have a certain way they do fundamentals - bunt plays, relay throws, whatever - that is taught all the way through the system. The rovers' "value is setting the philosophy," Miscik continues. "Whatever they're doing in the big leagues, we're doing in Triple-A, Double-A and with the A-ball clubs."

Another value, Coles says, "is a different set of eyes."

Or, "a different voice," Miscik says, "(that) validates what the manager is trying to do."

Parents may relate.

Sometimes it takes a different voice to make something sink in, even if it's the same message preached a dozen times before.

You know the cliché, that "it takes a village to raise a child." Same thing in baseball, to get a player to the big leagues.

And when it happens, Coles says, "Player development is a beautiful thing."

Bob Miscik works with Milwaukee minor league infielders

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/10860105-large.jpg

Now an special advisor, Don Money is winningest manager in Huntsville history

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/10860125-large.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Gennett Named Southern League Hitter of the Week

Second Baseman’s Bat Provided Power for Stars

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – The Southern League of Professional Baseball has named Huntsville Stars’ second baseman Scooter Gennett the Hitter of the Week for April 16-22.

During that span, he hit .448 (13-for-29), with two doubles, three home runs, 10 RBIs, four strikeouts and two stolen bases. He was the hero in last night’s victory, hitting a solo-home run in the bottom of the ninth to win the game. On the season, Gennett is hitting .346 (27-78) with four doubles, three home runs, 13 RBIs, two walks and 11 strikeouts. He’s also recorded three stolen bases. He leads the Southern League in at bats (78) and hits (27). He has the sixth best batting average in the league and ranks third for total bases (40) and RBIs (13).

In 2011, Gennett hit an even .300 in 134 games with the Brewers High-A Affiliate Brevard County, 10th best in the Florida State League. He led the league in hits (167) and at bats (556).

This is the first Player of the Week award for the second baseman. He’s was named a Mid- and Post-Season All-Star in both the Midwest League (2010) and Florida State League (2011). He was also named an MiLB.com Organizational All-Star last season.

I believe Scooter only has 1 error so far this season which is a significant improvement from years past (I only remember noting 1 from a box score and baseball-ref has him at 1 as well). Obviously it's still early but on the surface it appears he's made decent strides in the field.

Now if only he'll start taking walks I'd start to get legitimately excited about him. I've never been one to dismiss a player because of his size or lack there of, but I've been cautiously optimistic about him for some time because even though he's always hit, he's needed to make significant improvements in just about every other part of his game.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I believe Scooter only has 1 error so far this season which is a significant improvement from years past (I only remember noting 1 from a box score and baseball-ref has him at 1 as well). Obviously it's still early but on the surface it appears he's made decent strides in the field.

John Sickels from this afternoon: "[Gennett]'s made only one error on defense, a far cry from last year when he led the Florida State League in errors, and reports indicate he's done quite a bit to improve his range and footwork."

After tonight we may have to throw Hiram into the mix too. Something has to stick right?

I think Burgos has a sub-fringy fastball.

From our own 2009 Draft Pick Signing Thread.

I know this is a minor league pitching thread but after clicking on the link I had to make a comment on Scooter. I do like the BF.net scouting report (from that link) on our 16th round pick of Scooter Gennett from that draft:

BREWERFAN.NET SCOUTING REPORT:

As a left-handed hitter Gennett is one of the best pure hitters with one of the better approaches of any prep player eligible for the 2009 draft. He doesn't have the greatest size, and may not have the range to stick at shortstop, but he is an athletic player that has very good speed as well as a very strong arm. He handles himself very well at second base, and third base could also be an option given his offensive potential and arm strength. Gennett's pitch recognition is uncommon for a high school senior, as he exhibits an incredibly polished approach at the plate. He has very good bat speed and can turn on the best of fastballs, and he performed well on the showcase circuit during the summer of 2008, including his participation in the Aflac All-American Classic. Despite his smaller frame, he has good power potential, and should hit plenty of doubles and triples as well. He had somewhat of a down senior year, which caused scouts to wonder if he may be better off going to college. If he does take his talents to Florida State we may be talking about him as a first-rounder for the 2012 draft.

I know he probably wouldn't be a first round pick but having a career MiLB avg of .306 isn't something to ignore. (Especially with his .326 AVG in 86 AB this year in AA.)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rob Wooten keeps saving the day for the Huntsville Stars

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Rob Wooten was looming over a short putt on the last hole of an informal, intramural Huntsville Stars golf tournament.

"Close it out," a teammate encouraged.

Alas, Wooten sighed, "I missed the putt."

It was one of the rare times this spring Wooten hasn't closed things up neatly. The 26-year-old Stars reliever has six saves, second in the Southern League, along with two wins and a 1.72 ERA, appearing in 13 of Huntsville's first 27 games.

"The confidence level on a green is nowhere near what it is out there," Wooten said, nodding toward the pitcher's mound.

Like most relievers, Wooten fell into the role by accident - or worse. In this case, it was the batters from George Mason - or maybe George Washington; he can't remember - who lit him up pretty good when he was starting a game his sophomore year at North Carolina. He was coming off shoulder surgery and not yet up to snuff in terms of velocity or confidence.

Dispatched to the bullpen, he sharpened his relief skills that season and in summer ball, then returned as a junior only to lead the country in appearances and help the Tar Heels to the College World Series.

In the NCAA playoffs, Wooten had a 1.56 ERA and a 3-0 record in 12 appearances, pitching in Carolina's first 11 tournament games.

"For some reason, when the tournament started, I kicked it into another gear," Wooten said. "I love to pitch in games that matter, in pressure situations. That's when I knew that's what I wanted to do."

"He has a calm presence about him in tough situations," Huntsville pitching coach Chris Hook said. "You know he's the right guy."

Calm most of the time. Except when his beloved Tar Heels are playing basketball. He flat-out "bleeds Carolina blue."

His wife Katie, a professor of dental hygiene at a North Carolina community college, knows "on games days, not to even talk to me."

Though Tuesday turned out to be an off-night for him, he went through his typical routine:

"The first four or five innings, I'm joking around with my teammates, watching hitters. From the fifth inning, the focus starts to zone in on the hitters. I may go inside (to the clubhouse) and stretch," he said. "From the seventh inning on, I'm not talking to anybody."

Gee, just like when Carolina's playing hoops on TV.

"The eighth inning, I'm zoned in on what I have to do."

When he takes the mound, "the mindset is you have to throw strikes," Wooten continued. "Those hitters are a little more focused when the game is on the line. You've got to be able to outsmart them, out-think them and throw your best stuff. And throw a couple of different pitches where you keep them mixed up."

Wooten is well-aware of a long-time baseball axiom.

"I've always heard the last three outs are the toughest," he said.

Sometimes they are. Sometimes, though, relievers make three outs look easier than three-foot putts.

The Huntsville Times/Photo by Bob Gathany

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/10941139-large.jpg

One thing I'm curious about with all the organizational shuffling following Gonzalez's & Gomez's injuries is will the Josh Prince --> CF experiment now come to an end?

EDIT: Guess not, Matt Cline with the start tonight at SS, Prince still in CF.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

nice thing with Prince is that it appears his OBP skills from rookie ball have re-emerged. keep taking those walks kid, then dust off the SS glove

I credit our four-post exchange as being the main reason Prince had a start back at SS tonight.

Clearly there couldn't have been any other cause.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars baseball: Gibbons still has big-league dream

By Reggie Benson, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Jay Gibbons spent nine years in the major leagues. For some players, that would be enough. Not for Gibbons.

The 35-year-old Gibbons spent seven years with the Baltimore Orioles and two years with the Los Angeles Dodgers before being released last season.

"I'm just like any other veteran ballplayer that had a good taste of the big leagues and still hungry to get back," said Gibbons, who is playing left field for the Huntsville Stars in hopes of working his way back to the majors. "I didn't like the way my season ended last year, so I thought I would give it another try. Milwaukee gave me a call and here I am."

Gibbons entered last season as the Dodgers' starting left fielder, but struggled mightily.

He had had eye surgery during the offseason and things didn't go well. Gibbons batted just .255 with one home run and five RBI in 24 games.

"I dealt with that all year long and I had another eye surgery and it left a bad taste in my mouth," he said.

Gibbons was actually released by the Brewers in spring training, but was resigned to a minor-league deal on April 25.

"My goal is not to be in Huntsville, but I'm just trying to make the best of it while I'm here," he said. "I still feel like I can do it. That's why I'm here."

The 6-0, 195-pounder is hitting .333 through 15 games with the Stars. He has five doubles and seven RBI.

"It's a grind every day as far as your swing and all that," said Gibbons, who sat out Tuesday's 5-1 loss to the Mississippi Braves. "I'm just trying to be as consistent as possible and hit the ball hard every at bat and hopefully somebody up there takes notice."

Stars manager Darnell Coles has certainly taken notice. Coles said Gibbons has been terrific for his young squad.

"He's a true professional," he said. "He's a big leaguer just waiting for an opportunity. His major league stats speak for themselves. He was a great player. Now, it's just getting that opportunity again.

"I think he's in a perfect place because we've had some injuries up top that are going to allow him at some point to move up quickly through the system and into the big leagues. He's been a model citizen here. He understands how things work."

Gibbons should.

This is his 15th professional season. He had his best season in 2003 with the Orioles when he hit .277 with 23 home runs and 100 RBI. Gibbons is a career .260 hitter with 127 homers and 427 RBI.

"I've been going at it a long time," he said. "I still feel pretty good physically. It's the mental grind ... trying to prepare for every game and staying up when there's not 40,000 people in the stands. I've been trying to trick myself into getting motivated that way."

Gibbons said the atmosphere that Coles has built has been good for him.

"D.C. has been incredible," he said. "He's taking care of an old guy like me. Hanging around with the young guys makes me feel a little younger and I'm trying to teach them a little bit of what I've learned. It's been fun."

Gibbons refused to say how long he planned on chasing his dream of getting back to the majors, but he knows there will come a time to call it quits.

"I'm going to play as hard as possible here, but there will come a time when I'm going to say that's it and I'll be happy with my decision," he said.

Coles believes Gibbons will get a call pretty soon.

"Jay is doing everything he possibly can to get a shot," he said. "He's having quality at bats. He's swinging the bat well. He's hitting in the middle of the lineup. He understands how he's being pitched.

"He's been great for us, but he won't be here the whole year. Now, it's just a matter of getting that opportunity up top and I think he'll get that in the near future."

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

'Rocky Top' sounds good to former Vol Kentrail Davis

By Adam Greene, GoVolsExtra.com

SEVIERVILLE — When Kentrail Davis made his Smokies Park debut Monday night for the Huntsville Stars, it was almost like coming home.

Behind the Stars' dugout, University of Tennessee fans cheered him on and, on the Tennessee Smokies bench, he shared a fun moment with an old friend when a familiar song came over the stadium speakers.

"It felt good to hear 'Rocky Top,' " Davis said Tuesday before the Smokies beat the Stars 3-2. "I looked over at (Smokies reliever) Ty'Relle (Harris) and he was tapping (his foot), so I started tapping my glove. I got excited. It was good to see orange. I had a couple of buddies in the stands, too."

It was the first time that Davis had played in East Tennessee since leaving the Vols after two seasons. He was drafted in the supplemental first round with the 39th pick by the Milwaukee Brewers in 2009.

Now Davis is back, this time wearing the Huntsville colors for the series against the Smokies that ends Friday.

Davis went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a double in Monday's game.

Davis, by his own admission, has had to catch up to the pitchers in Class AA. He is hitting .252 with no home runs and 15 RBIs in 37 games.

"The biggest change (in Class AA) is how smart the pitchers are," Davis said. "They're always changing their approach to hitters. At the lower levels, they mostly come at you with their fastball, but here guys are throwing change-ups and throw fastballs when they're behind in the count or early in the count."

Coming into the season eyes were already on the Mobile, Ala., native. Davis opened the year as the ninth-ranked prospect in the Brewers organization. The attention and the ranking are something Davis tries to keep out of his mind.

"I wouldn't say I feel pressure," Davis said. "Most guys at this level have the talent. I think the difference is their mental approach in Double-A. Physically, guys here are ready. This is what I do. I just go out and play baseball. I don't look at it as a prospect thing. I'm just like everybody else on the field. I'm just trying to make it to the show."

Though they're on opposing teams, Harris was happy to see his old UT teammate. The Tennessee reliever has just now made his return to Class AA for his third stint with Smokies after a season-ending injury last year when he was the victim of a hit-and-run accident in Knoxville. Harris suffered a compound fracture in his lower right leg and a broken left foot. Harris has yet to fully heal, but his spirits were high as he joked around with his old college friend.

"The whole time yesterday I was trying to get him (Davis) off his game, jawing at him in the outfield," Harris said. "I was hoping his bat was going to be cold this series."

Harris, who started the season with the High-A Daytona Cubs has been experiencing UT reunions in other cities, playing against Cody Hawn (Brevard County Manatees) and Blake Forsythe (St. Lucie Mets) while with Daytona.

"It's good when you can see these guys," Harris said. "I also have the inside information. I can kind of give the scouting report."

Davis is hoping to get the chance to swing the bat against Harris in this series.

"I know he (Harris) is a competitor and so am I," Davis said. "Hopefully I'll hit a home run off of him. If I do, he'll never hear the end of it."

Photo by ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL Huntsville right fielder Kentrail Davis, a former University of Tennessee star, throws the ball back after catching a fly out from Tennessee Smokies' Logan Watkins in the first inning on Tuesday at Smokies Park. The Smokies won, 3-2.

http://media.govolsxtra.com/media/img/photos/2012/05/29/601572_t607.JPG

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Stars land five on Southern League North Division All-Star squad

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Hunter Morris already had a tentative plan in place. During the three days of the Southern League All-Star break in two weeks, "I'm playing golf all three days."

Cancel the tee times. Morris, the Huntsville native and Stars first baseman, along with four teammates, will be on the Southern League's North All-Star squad.

The All-Star Game, against the South squad, will be June 19 in Kodak, Tenn., outside Knoxville.

Second baseman Scooter Gennett, starting pitchers Tyler Thornburg and Evan Anundsen and reliever Jesus Sanchez were also selected to represent Huntsville.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

FIVE STARS SELECTED TO SOUTHERN LEAGUE ALL-STAR TEAM

Two Infielders and Three Pitchers Named to North Division Roster

MARIETTA, Ga. – The Southern League of Professional Baseball has announced the Southern League North Division All-Star roster. The Huntsville Stars are represented by five players including first baseman and Huntsville native Hunter Morris, second baseman Scooter Gennett and pitchers Tyler Thornburg, Evan Anundsen and Jesus Sanchez.

The 23-year-old Morris is currently hitting .292 with a Southern League-leading 21 doubles. He’s hit two triples and six home runs. In the last five games, Morris has hit three long balls and has seven RBIs while going 4-for-16 (.250) at the plate. The lefty ranks second in the league in hits (62) and extra-base hits (29) and third in total bases (105). Defensively, he leads the Southern League in fielding percentage at first base with a .998. He’s made just one error in 56 games. In 2011, he set a single-season franchise record with 19 home runs at Class-A Brevard County. The former Auburn Tiger is rated as the Best Power Hitter in the Brewers organization, according to Baseball America.

Second baseman Gennett is batting .308 on the season with 12 doubles, two triples and three home runs. He’s also knocked in 19 runs. The 22-year-old is the only player on the Stars roster, and one of three in the Southern League, to have started every game this season. He leads the league in hits (73), in front of teammate Morris. Gennett currently ranks fourth in the league in batting average. He was named the Southern League Player of the Week for April 16-23. According to Baseball America, Gennett is ranked as the fifth-best prospect in the Brewers organization. In 2011, the second baseman set a single-season record for hits (167) at Brevard County. This is his third All-Star selection, having been selected to the Florida State League mid- and postseason rosters (2011) and the Midwest League mid- and postseason rosters (2010).

RHP Thornburg is 8-0 with a 2.69 ERA (52er/70.1ip) in 12 starts with the Stars this season, good for sixth in the Southern League for pitching. He leads the league in wins (8) and is fourth in strikeouts (66) and innings pitched (70.1). He’s kept opponents to a .210 average, fourth best in the league. He’s also allowed the second fewest baserunners per nine innings in the league with a ratio of 9.60. On April 16, he took a perfect game into the eighth inning before giving up a single to Tennessee. He ended the night with 7.1ip, 1h, 1r, 1er and 11 strikeouts. Thornburg is currently ranked as the fourth-best prospect in the Brewers organization, according to Baseball America. This is his second All-Star honor, having been named to the Midwest League All-Star team in 2011.

RHP Anundsen currently ranks third in the Southern League for pitching with a 4-2 record (11 starts) and a 2.32 ERA (14er/54.1ip). He’s allowed just 19 walks while striking out 28. The Colorado native threw a seven-inning complete game in his last start on June 3. He allowed just two hits in the shutout over Mississippi. That was the first shutout by an individual pitcher this season in the Southern League. He’s kept opponents to a .245 average, second lowest on the team for a starter. The 24-year-old went 5-2 with a 3.86 ERA in 32 games for Brevard County last season. This is the second time Anundsen has made an All-Star team. He was named a Florida State League All-Star in 2009.

Reliever Jesus Sanchez is 3-0 with a 0.96 ERA (4er/37.1ip) in 23 appearances for Huntsville this season. He’s converted five of five save opportunities while holding opponents to a .175 batting average. The former catcher ranks fifth in the Southern League for relievers with fewest baserunners per nine innings pitched. He’s allowed just 36 batters to get on base in 37.1 innings (8.68). This is the first All-Star team for the 24-year-old. Sanchez went 4-7 with a 4.91 ERA in 30 games (14 starts) for the Stars last season.

The rest of the North Division roster includes Damaso Espino (C – Birmingham Barons), Jesus Sucre (C – Jackson Generals), Pedro Baez (3B – Chattanooga Lookouts), Nick Franklin (SS – Jackson Generals), Jim Adduci (OF – Tennessee Smokies), Denny Almonte (OF – Jackson Generals), Jared Mitchell (OF – Birmingham Barons), Blake Smith (OF – Chattanooga Lookouts), Justin Bour (DH – Tennessee Smokies), J.T. Wise (Utility INF – Chattanooga Lookouts), Joe Dunigan (Utility OF – Jackson Generals), Frank Batista (P – Tennessee Smokies), Carter Capps (P – Jackson Generals), Pedro Hernandez (P – Birmingham Barons), Danny Hultzen (P – Jackson Generals), Matt Magill (P – Chattanooga Lookouts), Jose Quintana (P – Birmingham Barons), Kevin Rhoderick (P – Tennessee Smokies), and Taijuan Walker (P – Jackson Generals).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Former Theodore, Tennessee standout Kentrail Davis shooting for big leagues with Huntsville Stars

By Bruce Gentry, Mobile Press-Register

MOBILE, Alabama -- Kentrail Davis' love of baseball started at an early age, and his hard work at the game has carried him to the Double-A level with the Huntsville Stars.

Davis is in town for a series against the Mobile BayBears at Hank Aaron Stadium, where his family got to see him play for the first time since high school.

The fourth game of a five-game series was scheduled for Sunday, though rain played havoc with the starting time until it was eventually postponed. The game will be played as part of a doubleheader today starting at 5:05 p.m.

"My mom, dad, aunts, brothers, sisters, friends, even my high school coach, have been here," said Davis, a Theodore native. "The rain has messed us up all week."

Davis signed with the Brewers in 2009 after a collegiate career at Tennessee.

He's in his third year of pro baseball and, like most, hopes for the big leagues.

"As long as I can play," Davis said. "I'm still going at it. I love playing. I show up every day, work on my craft every day."

He's hitting .239 and doesn't have a home run yet. But he makes his living with his speedy legs. He has 11 doubles, a triple and has stolen eight bases in 10 tries.

"It's been up and down," Davis said. "I've been struggling a little bit. It's starting to pick back up."

An old injury, a hamstring, cropped up again early this season, putting him on the DL.

"I pulled it and missed two and a half weeks," Davis said. "It's one of those minor setbacks. I'm feeling good running, and I'm starting to steal bases again."

The hamstring injury cropped up in his first pro season. He pulled it twice, then tore it while playing in the Advanced A Florida State League. He was sent to Wisconsin in the Low-A Midwest League. Most would say it was a demotion.

"At Florida, I got dehydrated and was cramping a lot," Davis said. "So they said, 'Go to Wisconsin. It's cooler up there, get your feet back under you and see what happens.'

"I went up there and finished strong. Obviously, they believed in me because they wouldn't have sent me to the fall league if they didn't."

Davis hit .335 in Wisconsin, wound up hitting .304 for the year. His second season at Brevard County in the Florida State League he hit .245 and stole 33 bases, then went to the Arizona Fall League. While there, he hit .325 and had 12 steals.

"That was best talent I've ever played against," Davis said. "It was a good experience for me. I learned a lot about myself because the talent was so good and so legit.

"I got to show the organization what I can do. I just got to pick it up this season and get back on track. I'm getting my legs under me. We'll see how many bases I can get."

Davis is one of those players who throws right-handed but bats left-handed. As a kid, he was a switch-hitter, then stayed with the left side because it felt more comfortable.

"I wish I was a switch hitter," he said. "Facing those tough lefties, sometimes that gets a little rough.

"I know if I have a son, he'll be a switch hitter, for sure."

Former Theodore star Kentrail Davis is hitting .239 with 11 doubles this year for the Huntsville Stars. (Press-Register/Chip English)

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/11161823-large.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Scooter Gennett shining for Huntsville Stars

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama --He leads the Southern League in hits and games played. He leads the Huntsville Stars in most kids enamored.

And, perhaps, the diminutive Scooter Gennett leads in most abuse taken from teammates.

On Sunday, the Stars gave away unique Father's Day bobbleheads of Hunter Morris, holding his young son Tripp.

But teammate Mitch Stetter offered this up on Twitter:

"Hunter Morris bobble head... Still trying to figure out why he's holding Scooter Gennett"

Scooter Gennett - straight name Ryan - is the Stars' All-Star second baseman. He and four teammates are at the game tonight in Kodak, Tenn., several interstate exits northeast of Knoxville.

"It's a great honor," Gennett said. "There's a lot of great players in this league. It's always nice to be honored as one of the top players at your position."

At 5-foot-9, Gennett is closer in size to young fans than most of his teammates.

Then, there's the nickname itself, with instant charm. A coworker here has a young son who is also a second baseman and who buzzes around the house bellowing, like a PA announcer, "Sco-o-o-o-o-o-ter Gennett!"

The nickname, in case you haven't heard the genesis, comes from the Muppet by the same name. Gennett, as a 5-year-old, was enamored with him. He once introduced himself to a police officer as "Scooter," and now admits, "For a year I didn't answer to Ryan because I thought I'd get in trouble. I thought I'd get arrested."

Gennett finished the first half with a .300 average, fifth-best in the league, and his 83 hits top that list. He's sixth in total bases. He hasn't missed a game yet.

Give him credit for consistency. He hit .300 on the nose last year at Brevard County, after batting .309 in rookie ball.

"I like that I'm out there every day, playing 100 percent and playing the game the right way," he said. "I also like the fact that there's always room to improve. There's always things to work on."

Specifically, that would be defense.

It's not that Gennett plays second base like he's wearing a pair of Teflon frying pans on his hands. He's made only nine errors.

In fact, Huntsville manager Darnell Coles bragged that Gennett has "played phenomenally on defense."

Coles said that "in years past, he's been a hitter and played pretty good defense. Now we've put an emphasis defensively on him so he can be a well-rounded player."

Emphasis means a lot of ground balls, a lot of early workouts.

"I don't let Scooter up for air," Coles said. "He knows he's got to do it. And we get it done. I want him to understand there is more to being an every-day player than just hitting."

There is this inescapable fact if you are a follower of the Milwaukee Brewers. Rickie Weeks, the Brewers' current second baseman, is batting .177. He has struck out a league-worst 77 times. He's never been touted for his defense.

To avid Milwaukee fans who know the farm system depth chart, and who know a leap from Huntsville to the show is not unprecedented, Gennett is akin to a backup quarterback on a team whose starter threw three interceptions last Saturday.

Logic says it'll still be a while. But impatiently, some are awaiting the introduction on the Miller Park PA.

"Sco-o-o-o-o-o-ter Gennett!"

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/11138204-large.jpg

Archived