Brewer Fanatic

Does anyone have any experience painting a boat camouflage?

billyhallfan

I have an old 14 foot alumicraft boat that I'm starting to do work on. The paint is chipping and I want to take it all off, sand it down, put some etching primer on it, then repaint it. I only use it for fishing currently but I'm getting into hunting and would like to use it for duck hunting in the future. Plus, I just think it would be fun to paint it camouflage, if nothing else it will tick my girlfreind off :) .

I've looked online at youtube videos and everything else, but I was curious if someone has actually done this and has pictures of it...because I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this project so I want to make sure I do it right. Have you used patterns, what kind of base paint was used, etc...

Thanks!

-Brian

I've helped a friend do it before, so i have a little experience. Either buying, or making your own stencils is the easiest way, IMO(but then again, i have NO artistic skill at all). We started with a primer, then painted the entire thing tan(we used an almost golden tan, or sand tan. I've seen Olive done as well. Really depends on how you want it to look). That's when we used the stencils. This website has some free stencils you can print out and use, to save you time from designing them yourself.

http://www.outdoorwriter.net/?p=361

As for the kind of base paint, we used Parker duck boat paint. Hunter's Specialties makes some nice paint as well. I noticed cabelas has a kit that includes stencils and paint.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Waterfowl-Boating-Blinds/Waterfowl-Blinds-Concealment|/pc/104791680/c/104786280/sc/104680980/Cabelas-Stencil-Kit-with-Paint/737791.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100119%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRpod4319&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRpod4319%3Bcat104680980

Finally, you can either use a spray can, or paint with a brush. We used the spraycans for the stencils because it was faster, and the brushes for the base because we could cover more of a larger area evenly and quickly with a brush. If you enjoy doing this enough, you might find yourself doing a similar job to your shotgun(dipping your gun can get expensive, and a lot of duck/turkey hunters like the camo look). Also, if you find yourself branching out in hunting(deer, turkeys ect) and have questions, feel free to PM me as hunting is one of my passions.

Have fun!

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

thanks for the help...I've spent the last two days grinding the paint off with a wire wheel on a 4 1/2 inch grinder...now that I'm getting it all off (lots of work) I'm kind of thinking of just leaving the bottom bare aluminum and painting the top blue or something...thanks for the help though, I just can't decide what I want to do with it yet.

Archived