Brewer Fanatic

Wolf-Luc situation

Madtown343

I guess I really don't have a problem with Kottaras serving as Wolf's personal catcher. As much as Wolf frustrates me at times, he was pretty solid last year, and if he has better chemistry with Kottaras, let it be.

Sucks when the Brewers face a lefty on the days Wolf pitches, but I'm willing to sacrifice some offense in order to get Wolf out there with a battery mate he's comfortable with.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I guess I really don't have a problem with Kottaras serving as Wolf's personal catcher. As much as Wolf frustrates me at times, he was pretty solid last year, and if he has better chemistry with Kottaras, let it be.

Sucks when the Brewers face a lefty on the days Wolf pitches, but I'm willing to sacrifice some offense in order to get Wolf out there with a battery mate he's comfortable with.

The part that really sucks is when Lucroy doesn't get a full day off or is playing day after night games because he only gets days off when Wolf pitches. Lucroy needs more days off or he is going to burn out again.

Let's wait and see if Wolf gets a personal catcher this year. He's been pitching to Lucroy this spring.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My problem with Kottaras is that he is a liability defensively. We'd be better off having a different back-up catcher or using Kottaras as a lefty bat off the bench (3 catchers? maybe...)

I do appreciate what Wolf brings to the table. Wolf is one of the better #4 pitchers in MLB

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't understand how he's gotten this "He's a liability defensively" monicker.

He's not great defensively, but he's not horrible either and he sure can rake (especially for a backup catcher). Have you forgotten what a great defensive catcher looks like at the plate? It looks like the 54 PA's and .369 OPS that Wil Nieves gave the Brewers last season.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I don't understand how he's gotten this "He's a liability defensively" monicker.

He's not great defensively, but he's not horrible either

A 15% caught stealing percentage is certainly a "liability". If I was an opposing manager, I'd send everyone but the catchers and fatter pitchers running vs Kottaras. Skinny pitchers would get the green light. Normal base-stealers I'd set up a Little League style steal and send them 1st to 3rd.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Just some quick math: 15% CS, in 31 GS last year, led to 18 SB, 3 CS.

If we make him league average, 30% CS, that means he would've given up 15 SB and 6CS.

So, that means, 1 stolen base every 10 games he starts.

Again, not that big of a deal for a backup catcher who understands the staff and can hit.

It isn't a big deal because teams don't steal bases much anymore. NL averaged 105 SB's per team, and that was skewed big time by San Diego who had 37 more steals than any other team.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I was serious that I think Wolf is most likely the problem and not Lucroy. I think he has been pretty good with us and I even defended his contract when everyone complained about it, I like Wolf as a personality too. I think he still is the one making this an issue and not Lucroy though. Lucroy doesn't have problems with other pitchers and it seems like Wolf got frustrated really fast with Lucroy, it probably didn't hurt that he was struggling so Lucroy gave him an easy out to blame whether it was warranted or not.

This is exactly the way I see the whole thing as well. Exactly. Now get out of my head, Ennder; it's scary in there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Wolf is like Mickelson - he needs everything perfect in order to be successful. Throw a small wrench in the works and it completely throws him off his game.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived