Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Madsen out for the season

On the other hand I think there is a good chance that the Brewers have a better overall infield this year. I think people are underestimating just how bad McGehee was last year and forgetting how much playing time he got. I don't think the Reds will be hurt to much by losing their closer. Where it will probably hurt the most is their bullpen depth not at the end of games.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

We have two closers on the team. The Reds lose Madsen, and the Royals lose Soria for the year. Do either of those teams have anything we could get for a closer?

Well KC doesnt need a closer, they have 2-3 good options there still. The Reds probably wouldnt trade with us. They do need a closer though and Ive heard them linked to Marmol FWIW.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

You honestly believe the Brewers will be 10+ games worse, because of the loss of Fielder? No way is he worth 10 wins.

The Brewers probably didn't really have 96 win talent last year so the drop of 10 games is partly Fielder but mostly just playing back towards their talent level.

Oh, I believe they did have 96 win talent last season. If Weeks didn't miss a few months of the season and if they had K-Rod for all of the season they could have won more. That's just how good they were.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

That is exactly what I think. They were more like a 90 win team last year and were very fortunate with injuries.

Not really true, it is one of the higher ranked rosters in baseball from a team health report standpoint and has been for the past few seasons now. The Brewers don't sign a ton of injury risk guys like a lot of other teams, though adding Aramis and Gonzalez obviously is a change in direction.

The year the Reds won 91 games they had half their team massively overachieve, it was no surprise at all that they took a major step back year, that was not a 90 win team and neither was last years and neither is this years. I do agree the Brewers aren't a 96 win team though, they are a high 80 win team.

People rag on Roenicke for a lot of silly decisions he makes but I have so much more confidence in his ability to successfully steer a team than in Dusty. I've been watching Baker for a long time and even if you're of the ilk who doesn't think a manger influences the game you know he's a detriment.
Formerly Andersoc420

I think a lot of people are under-remembering just how good Bruce was in his first full year in the majors. In 2010, he has a much better year than anything Hart has done. In fact, he had a higher WAR than anything Braun had done prior to his MVP season.

Well KC doesnt need a closer, they have 2-3 good options there still. The Reds probably wouldnt trade with us. They do need a closer though and Ive heard them linked to Marmol FWIW.

Wait what? They won't trade with us but they would trade with the Cubs?

While I understand what you are getting at, I would have to think that if a say K-Rod - Homer Bailey deal was floated that both the Brewers and Reds might be willing to have dialogue.

You don't usually want to trade with teams you are competing against in your own division. So the Reds won't trade a major league player to the Brewers, the Cubs will be lucky to avoid last place so no big issue with trading with them.

I absolutely understood the premise of not wanting to deal with a division rival when both are competing for first. I do however believe there exists a scenario where the Brewers and Reds would entertain a deal such as this if they both believed long term it would be beneficial. A Bailey-K-Rod deal would certainly weaken our bullpen this year but we would likely strengthen the rotation beyond this season when K-Rod is more likely to leave.

Just a thought.

I absolutely understood the premise of not wanting to deal with a division rival when both are competing for first. I do however believe there exists a scenario where the Brewers and Reds would entertain a deal such as this if they both believed long term it would be beneficial. A Bailey-K-Rod deal would certainly weaken our bullpen this year but we would likely strengthen the rotation beyond this season when K-Rod is more likely to leave.

Just a thought.

Agreed. I would just usually assume that when both sides are looking at a trade like that, they are both docking value on it and trying to look else where if possible. The Reds would probably be OK with sending us a C+ prospect but the Brewers sending KRod over could pitch against them a half dozen times and cost them a close division this year.

KRod probably isn't going to get anything great in a trade, it would probably be more salary dump than anything, so I'd rather send him as far away as possible if we have any hopes of winning the division.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I think a lot of people are under-remembering just how good Bruce was in his first full year in the majors. In 2010, he has a much better year than anything Hart has done. In fact, he had a higher WAR than anything Braun had done prior to his MVP season.

Only if you assume his 19.7 fielding score was accurate. Hart has had three season where his bat was better than that including the last two.

Only if you assume his 19.7 fielding score was accurate. Hart has had three season where his bat was better than that including the last two.

Well I do think Bruce's fielding is far superior to Hart's. But besides that, Hart's years that have been better offensively than Bruce have all come after the age of 25. Bruce is still 24.

Latos left his start today with an apparent injury. Could be another blow to the Reds.

Strained Left Calf.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120327&content_id=27674090&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Archived