Brewer Fanatic

BA's organizational rankings

paul253

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2012/2613155.html

Brewers ranked 26 out of 30. I realize they've traded a lot of prospects lately, but Milwaukee really needs to do a better job drafting. They also need to do a better job of maximizing the trade value of their players. I don't understand they need to have Braun, Gomez, Aoki, Morgan, and Hart on this year's team as opposed to trading one of them (most likely Morgan) for a decent, though probably low level prospect.

I'm not sure substituting Schafer or Aoki for Morgan is going to do all that much to hurt the team. And what if he doesn't have as good a year this year as he did last year? His value goes down and we will get even less for him. He's not in the long term plan so it wouldn't hurt to explore the opportunity.

Beside, I'm not saying that all we need to do is trade Morgan and our ranking goes from 26 to 15. We have an excess of outfielders and an utter lack of prospects. Don't trade Morgan for nothing, but a team whose looking for a center fielder may be willing to give up a decent low level prospect for him.

I'm not sure substituting Schafer or Aoki for Morgan is going to do all that much to hurt the team. And what if he doesn't have as good a year this year as he did last year? His value goes down and we will get even less for him. He's not in the long term plan so it wouldn't hurt to explore the opportunity.

Beside, I'm not saying that all we need to do is trade Morgan and our ranking goes from 26 to 15. We have an excess of outfielders and an utter lack of prospects. Don't trade Morgan for nothing, but a team whose looking for a center fielder may be willing to give up a decent low level prospect for him.

Why are you so concerned with "long term solutions," at this point, in March, two weeks from opening day with a team coming off 96 wins and a team that is arguably as good, if not better as a whole. And we're worried about that trading a player won't "do all that much to hurt the team this year." Evaluate that statement.

All that much, might be the difference.

Anyway, I like our farm a lot better than these rankings. Especially with the players we have already in the bigs.

That's all based on a Greinke/Gallardo duo atop the rotation for a while.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I have a notion that I made this point some years ago, but it is worth keeping in mind. Once you have a good team, you don't necessarily need a top 5 farm system to continue success. The Braves had a respected, but as far as I can recall never a top 5 system after their title runs started. Once you have a lot of big league talent the dependence on the farm system to deliver an All-star player or two every year isn't there. Obviously it would be nice, but one does need to look at the team more holistically. I concur on the value of a Greinke extension in that sense. Having two superb starters to go with Braun and cast gives the team a lot of flexibility in mixing and matching guys to consistently stay a winner without having to break the bank, or get super lucky on drafting and developing.

Why are you so concerned with "long term solutions," at this point

Because I would rather not be a one or two year wonder and then fall back to being below .500 for 5 years. They have a lot of key free agents next year and obviously won't be able to afford all of them. It'd be nice to have some of your own guys to step in and fill the role as opposed to constantly trading for and signing expensive veterans. We are doing that this season and are literally tapped out. You can talk all you want about the success of last season, but the fact is without the impact players they had in their farm system they never would have gotten Greinke and Marcum and would have been a below .500 team like they were the year before. If Greinke and Marcum walk next year, we don't have the prospects to trade to get another front line starter and that means we may be in for a painful few years.

As far as Morgan goes. He had a good year last year. But you already have 4 other major league caliber outfielders on your team, not even including Schafer and Gindl. You act like he is the key to the team and without him we go nowhere. I am confident Logan Schafer and/or Aoki could put up numbers very close to the numbers Morgan is going to put up this year. Next year he is likely to be gone anyway, so what's the harm in trying to maximize his value while he still has some?

I think that ranking is pretty fair.

We have a system full of pitchers in that 2-4 range, no one who we could legitimately say is 1-3 guy at this point. They noted Peralta's breakout season, Thornburg's solid campaign, and Jungmann and Bradley in their note about the pitching side. While we have some nice potential for impact players, we simply don't have a Yo in the minors right now. We have plenty of potential, I believe in Thornburg's ability and I think he'll continue to turn heads and I'm hoping Wily's 2011 will be repeated or improved upon in 2012 at a higher level. They also noted that Fiers could contribute to the major league team in the bullpen or rotation this season. Fiers doesn't have plus stuff, but he has plus command, and that might just be enough.

The problem of course is that we don't have a legitimate impact player on the hitting side and they correctly noted that Schafer, Green, and Gennett are all in that average starter to role player range.

If Peralta, Thornburg, Jungmann, and Bradley put up monster seasons the Brewers will skyrocket in the rankings just based on impact pitching. Then we take youngsters like Arcia who's starting stateside someplace at 17 and last year's high school position player draftees, there is potential for prospect gurus to get excited about our position players again. Kris Davis could rebound and be the Fiers of the position players, and of course we're still holding out hope for Kentrail Davis, Max Walla, and so on.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have a notion that I made this point some years ago, but it is worth keeping in mind. Once you have a good team, you don't necessarily need a top 5 farm system to continue success. The Braves had a respected, but as far as I can recall never a top 5 system after their title runs started. Once you have a lot of big league talent the dependence on the farm system to deliver an All-star player or two every year isn't there. Obviously it would be nice, but one does need to look at the team more holistically. I concur on the value of a Greinke extension in that sense. Having two superb starters to go with Braun and cast gives the team a lot of flexibility in mixing and matching guys to consistently stay a winner without having to break the bank, or get super lucky on drafting and developing.

Exactly. The Twins are another team that hasn't always had top farm systems. But they've found some guys along the way to supplement their stud players.

We don't need another Braun(though another Braun who happpens to play 3rd base would be nice, but I'm 'bout ready to let that one go).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived