Brewer Fanatic

Uecker statue to be placed outside of Miller Park

DocLuna7

Nice. REAL nice. :)

I'd guess the statue will be in a standing position, since the other three are, but I wonder what Bob's pose will be. Miller Lite in one hand, Usinger's Brat/krisp kraut/Silver Spring Beer n Brat Mustard in the other?

Edit: Not per Adam McCalvy's blog (http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2012/03/21/uecker-riffs-on-statue/):

Uecker will be depicted standing with his hands in his pockets, just like the thousands of times he’s stood around the Brewer’ batting cage since taking a broadcasting job with the team in 1972.

“I have posed for the statue,” Uecker said. “Kind of a Schwarzenegger-type thing. Beefcake. Speedos. Pretty buffed. It’s really enhanced. I’ve seen pictures of the finished product, and, yes, I’m very pleased as a matter of a fact. It’s drawing a lot of attention. More than that swimsuit issue.”

Uecker appeared in some skimpy swimwear in the background of a 2008 Sports Illustrated photo. He has since dubbed it, “My swimsuit issue.”

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Really like this suggestion from the JSOnline comments...

Why not add an audio component to the statue so future generations can hear his one-liners? That would put smiles on the faces of fans entering and leaving the park long after Uke is gone, and I'll bet that's a legacy he would love to have.

It's a brilliant idea actually.

Great an well deserved good to hear,the only thing miss is Pauley statue.

Yeah, I really hope we see a Molitor statue soon. Definitely long overdue.

I agree. I know he didn't leave here under the best of circumstances, but I firmly believe that a big part of that belongs on the organization and not on Molitor. He went into the Hall as a Brewer, and is one of only two to do so. I think it's well deserved and long overdue.

• 4 months later...

area pigeons being fed a special diet in preparation for the event

^^ Someone needs to get this line to Uecker so he can use it. :)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 2 weeks later...
Uecker certainly deserves one, but I hope this it as far as statues go for the next 20 years or so when Braun's will probably be unveiled. Personally, I've got statue fatigue.

Yeah the only other one I could see would be if Molitor and the team ever decide to get along again, but I'm not holding my breath.

its pretty frustrating how molitor doesnt have a statue

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

It actually doesn't bother me that Molitor doesn't have a statue. If he got one I wouldn't be opposed to it, he is the Hall of Fame after all so if the team said, all HOF Brewers get a statue out front I can't argue with that. But if they want to keep it more special and reserve statues for more face of the franchise all time greats I can see how he wouldn't get one. Aaron, is a no brainer even though he played mostly for Milwaukee Braves, Yount and Uecker too. Molitor didn't play his whole career here, and although he got to 3000 hits, it was elsewhere and 2281 hits as a Brewer doesn't scream needs a statue to me. Cecil Cooper had 1800+ hits as Brewer and is third on the franchise list and had 7 year run from 77-83 that was as good or better than any stretch for Molitor as a Brewer and no one is looking for a Coop statue. Don't get me wrong, Molitor was a great player when healthy but his career numbers as a Brewer don't make me demand a statue for him. He missed so many games and was limited to DHing during what should have been the prime of his career in Milwaukee only to have a remarkable resurgence from age 34-41 over his last 8 seasons which only 2 were spent in Milwaukee. Amazingly he raised his career BA, SLG and OPS during those usual decline years while amassing 1449 of his hits. Prior to his final 8 years he had a .798 OPS and 1800 hits before exploding but again most of that was in other uniforms.

Watched the ceremony on DVD just now. It was really great. Amazing the number of big time people there, from Baseball, Showbiz, Family, current players and all. Nice MC job by Kostas, and Mrs. Aaron did a great impromptu song. Only in Milwaukee, we are lucky at times.

Amazingly he raised his career BA, SLG and OPS during those usual decline years while amassing 1449 of his hits. Prior to his final 8 years he had a .798 OPS and 1800 hits before exploding but again most of that was in other uniforms.

That was a 125 OPS+ in Milwaukee. He wasn't playing in the same hitting environment as today. It was much, much lower.

Anyway, I couldn't watch, nor DVR the ceremony. Hopefully more than a 2 minute clip gets put up on the web.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Amazingly he raised his career BA, SLG and OPS during those usual decline years while amassing 1449 of his hits. Prior to his final 8 years he had a .798 OPS and 1800 hits before exploding but again most of that was in other uniforms.

That was a 125 OPS+ in Milwaukee. He wasn't playing in the same hitting environment as today. It was much, much lower.

Anyway, I couldn't watch, nor DVR the ceremony. Hopefully more than a 2 minute clip gets put up on the web.

Tom Haudricourt had a tweet earlier today saying that the ceremony would likely be up on the Brewers website later on.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

re: Paul Molitor. I've made my strong feelings on this issue known before. He's a guy who along with Yount was the face of the franchise for over a decade. He put up big numbers for us, and was part of some huge seasons for the franchise. I really don't think there's a really good argument for him to not be immortalized next to Yount. It is not his fault that he ended up leaving Milwaukee.

Edit: Strong feelings mean nothing without actions. I've created a Facebook page dedicated to this cause: http://www.facebook.com/PaulMolitorStatue

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived