Brewer Fanatic

Carpenter to miss first start

topper09er

Surprised this isn't here yet.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/new-setback-for-carpenter-lohse-gets-opening-day-start/article_6170f614-734f-11e1-8dca-0019bb30f31a.html

"Manager Mike Matheny confirmed this morning that Lohse will indeed serve as the Cardinals' Opening Day starter with Jake Westbrook set to start against the Milwaukee Brewers on April 6. Adam Wainwright is slotted to work the defending world champions' April 13 home opener against the Chicago Cubs."

Lance Lynn will replace Carpenter in the rotation, so we will face Westbrook Fri, Garcia or Lynn Sat and Wainwright Sun our first 3 games.

So wait. are we missing Carp & Wainwright then? wow thatd be a nice little break.

It said Wainwright to start on April 13, 5 days before that is April 8 which is game 3 of our series with them.

Its a nice little break to face Jake Westbrook on opening day

I hope he makes a fast recovery...and channels his inner Ben Hendrickson for the rest of his career.

There's probably a father-son joke in there somewhere, but I'm going to hold off.

"What is Chris Carpenter going to tell his son?"

"That he's the greatest pitcher of all time."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

So wait. are we missing Carp & Wainwright then? wow thatd be a nice little break.

It said Wainwright to start on April 13, 5 days before that is April 8 which is game 3 of our series with them.

Its a nice little break to face Jake Westbrook on opening day

ok that makes more sense. still a nice break to catch. I think we definately have the pitching advantages in the first 2 games then.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/new-setback-for-carpenter-lohse-gets-opening-day-start/article_6170f614-734f-11e1-8dca-0019bb30f31a.html

"Manager Mike Matheny confirmed this morning that Lohse will indeed serve as the Cardinals' Opening Day starter with Jake Westbrook set to start against the Milwaukee Brewers on April 6. Adam Wainwright is slotted to work the defending world champions' April 13 home opener against the Chicago Cubs."

Lance Lynn will replace Carpenter in the rotation, so we will face Westbrook Fri, Garcia or Lynn Sat and Wainwright Sun our first 3 games.

I was really confused when I read this. It states A)Lohse will serve as the Card's opening day starter and B) Westbrook will start against the Brewers on April 6. So, I'm thinking, ok, who is it? Lohse or Westbrook? Then I looked at the Cards schedule. I had no I idea they were playing one game in Miami before coming to Milwaukee. Very odd. I know the Marlins have a new park and everything, but I don't ever recall a special "one game series" to open a new ball park.

Also, why would they not start Wainwright for their first game? With Carpenter out, isn't he their best pitcher?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

In reality imam not sure how the national media has overlooked this all offseason.

Consistently picking the crew to finish third.

New manager, new pitching coach, loss of best hitter in the game.

36 year old ace, a second ace one year removed from TJ. Sketchy depth in the rest of their rotation (I think Lynn could be pretty good).

A lineup with 3 regulars aging and huge injury risk. (furcal, Berkman, Beltran)

Their best hitter missed much of last season with a variety of injuries. (Holliday) There young replacement in RF for when Beltran inevitably gets hurt is injured. (Craig)

This has bothered me all offseason when the "experts" on Espn and MLB have pointed out our chances sans Prince, and then in the next sentence talked about how STL or CIN would win this division. It's not a video game, and adding a bunch of old past prime players is a recipe for an expensive disaster.

Domino #1 just fell with Carp. Not if, but when is the next one?

But, the Brewers lost Prince! THEY LOST PRINCE! They LOST PRINCE! DUH!

Sorry.

That is the national media's take on everything. The Reds scare me more than the Cardinals. If their rotation stays moderately healthy, they have an amazing shot at the division.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I was really confused when I read this. It states A)Lohse will serve as the Card's opening day starter and B) Westbrook will start against the Brewers on April 6. So, I'm thinking, ok, who is it? Lohse or Westbrook? Then I looked at the Cards schedule. I had no I idea they were playing one game in Miami before coming to Milwaukee. Very odd. I know the Marlins have a new park and everything, but I don't ever recall a special "one game series" to open a new ball park.

Also, why would they not start Wainwright for their first game? With Carpenter out, isn't he their best pitcher?

Not positive, but I seem to remember the Braves playing one game in Washington when they played their first game there a few years back. One game to open the season like on a Sunday night, then they played someone else.

But, the Brewers lost Prince! THEY LOST PRINCE! They LOST PRINCE! DUH!

Sorry.

That is the national media's take on everything. The Reds scare me more than the Cardinals. If their rotation stays moderately healthy, they have an amazing shot at the division.

Personally, I'm trying to figure out the Reds love. I see a ton of question marks on that team too. Other than Votto and Phillips, I just don't see it. Bruce was as good as any OF in the game for about 6 weeks last year. Other than that he was pretty ordinary.

Stubbs struck out over 200 times last year. Their LF depth chart is uninspiring as is the left side of their infield.

Their catching is solid, but nothing extraordinary.

Yes they added Latos to their rotation. But the rest of it is guys that have been full of promise before and haven't delivered.

In reality imam not sure how the national media has overlooked this all offseason.

Consistently picking the crew to finish third.

New manager, new pitching coach, loss of best hitter in the game.

36 year old ace, a second ace one year removed from TJ. Sketchy depth in the rest of their rotation (I think Lynn could be pretty good).

A lineup with 3 regulars aging and huge injury risk. (furcal, Berkman, Beltran)

Their best hitter missed much of last season with a variety of injuries. (Holliday) There young replacement in RF for when Beltran inevitably gets hurt is injured. (Craig)

This has bothered me all offseason when the "experts" on Espn and MLB have pointed out our chances sans Prince, and then in the next sentence talked about how STL or CIN would win this division. It's not a video game, and adding a bunch of old past prime players is a recipe for an expensive disaster.

Domino #1 just fell with Carp. Not if, but when is the next one?

I hear ya on all of this, but I for one am going to thoroughly enjoy "flying under the radar" in the eyes of the national pundits and strolling in and taking the Central again. Enjoy it indeed.

Sounds like Carpenter could be out for a while. Nerve irritation which is leading to shoulder weakness.

I did say.... And second start....and third start....and the season....and the career.....

With Carpenter and his multiple shoulder/arm/elbow/son issues, it isn't just a one start/one time thing. It's extended.

Archived