Brewer Fanatic

Mysterious "booms" in Clintonville

paul253

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/whats-shaking-in-clintonville-g74krbl-143300926.html

Apparently this is happening elsewhere too, like in North Carolina. And it happened in Georgia a few months ago. Isn't this how alien invasion movies always start? I'm just curious if anyone lives near Clintonville and can describe what these things sound and feel like.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have family there. Should see if my parents have talked to them about this.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator

Very odd. When I lived in Madison I experienced a strange flash/boom that turned out to be a meteor exploding over western WI. But there is clearly something else going on here.

This is different. The sounds have continued for multiple nights and appear to be coming from the ground. This isn't the first incident, they have been documented all over the place for decades. I can't even speculate on the cause, I honestly have no idea and many of the online theories do not seem plausible. If past cases are any guide, the booming will go away after a day or two and there will never be a good explanation.

Apparently it was an earthquake (or quakes).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
Apparently it was a 1.5 magnitude quake, but it wasn't noticed because the USGS doesn't have very much instrumentation in Wisconsin. They went back and reanalyzed the data and found the quake. One issue is that they do not know how shallow the quake is and whether it is related to human activity or not.

Tremors leading up to the 1.5 quake.

Archived