Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 30 Clubs in 30 Days (rerun on MLB Network: Tues, March 20, at 8 AM and noon CDT)

RobDeer 45
So what did you guys think? Had a few good laughs and thought a lot of it was done well. I got a good laugh when Narvy said, George is doing bi's and tri's and yelled, he flex for us! That was good. Hart had a few good lines too. Good stuff.

It was entertaining. Loved the Gamel interview. My kid and I were laughing at how much Wolf talks. His words per minute factor has gotta be up near the Jeff Cirillo rarified air level....
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I thought it was great. One thing that stuck out to me was that there was as little reference as possible made to Braun's saga this offseason. When the studio host made a point to mention (relatively early on) that Braun turned down the program's request for an interview, I instantly worried that MLB was going to use its network as a bully pulpit. Thankfully, they did the exact opposite, & I did gain a bit more respect for MLB/MLB Network due to that.

Overall, it was great. The series itself is such a great idea, & MLBN has executed it well (this isn't the first 30/30 episode I've watched). The MLB Network is fantastic overall, so far.

My favorite one-liner was Rickie Weeks answering Mitch Williams's question of 'who's the cheapest guy on the team?' Rickie paused, & then asked, "Per capita?" ... not exactly the phrase Rickie was looking for, but you get what he meant. That cracked me up. His pick was Braun, although I have to say Corey & Randy Wolf lobbied pretty strongly for Greinke. Corey actually said he though Zack might be the cheapest player in baseball. Wolf made a wisecrack about how set Greinke is going to be, come retirement, & how he's going to be able to ensure he can pay for his great-great grandkids' college tuition. Funny stuff -- this is really a special group imo in terms of chemistry.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That show was shockingly positive about the Brewers. They tinted with a little reality at the end, but they painted an overall rosy picture. I would imagine if ESPN did this, they would spend half the show saying that Braun definitely did steroids and half the show saying how the Brewers wouldn't score any runs without Prince.

Yeah it was a pretty fair show. They questioned the middle of the bullpen which is valid. They questioned the bench which is very valid too. The team really needs to stay healthy or it is in trouble because the offensive depth outside of Green is just terrible.

I liked the show overall. How can you not love an hour straight on the Brew Crew at the point where this out of towner is desperate for news?

I thought it was a fair overview as well. I though Melvin's quote about the Cards, Reds and Brewers all being 85 win type teams showed some intellectual honesty that he knows the hand he's dealt. John Hart adds some real insight on the team in both their positives and negatives. It also seemed the camaraderie of the team has carried over to the 2012 version.

The one negative was Mitch Williams. I'm just not a big fan of the guy. Guys like him and Harold Reynolds are big drawbacks for me on the MLB network. Too much consensus thinking and too awkward in their interviews when trying to joke around.

Yep, when Hart gave out his 1-5 (5 being best) grades at the end of the program, he went

Rotation: 4

Bullpen: 4

Lineup: 3

Bench: 3

Mitch Williams amended his scorecard to have a 5 for the bullpen, based on Ax & K-Rod, but other than that agreed with Hart. I agree that they were very fair, overall. The main question raised that they all agreed on was the lack of power off the bench.

If Hart is the #4 hitting RF in MLB, Braun was last year's NL MVP, Weeks is a 2 time NL All-Star, Ramirez is one of the best hitting 3B, Morgan has a .370 OBP vs RHP, Lucroy is an up and coming C and Gamel has the potential he has, I don't see our lineup as just a "3". I think the Brewers deserve a "4" and the grade of "3" reflects how underrated Hart & Weeks really are....
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That show was shockingly positive about the Brewers. They tinted with a little reality at the end, but they painted an overall rosy picture. I would imagine if ESPN did this, they would spend half the show saying that Braun definitely did steroids and half the show saying how the Brewers wouldn't score any runs without Prince.

My expectations were more like dlk9s', especially once I saw Mitch Williams was assigned to be the guy in Maryvale.

Makes me wonder what on earth they do for the Astros' segment. "Welp...last year in the senior circuit!"

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If Hart is the #4 hitting RF in MLB, Braun was last year's NL MVP, Weeks is a 2 time NL All-Star, Ramirez is one of the best hitting 3B, Morgan has a .370 OBP vs RHP, Lucroy is an up and coming C and Gamel has the potential he has, I don't see our lineup as just a "3". I think the Brewers deserve a "4" and the grade of "3" reflects how underrated Hart & Weeks really are....

I agree on calling it a "4", but imo that's a relatively minor gripe with the grade John Hart decided to give the Brewers' lineup. Fwiw, Hart also said he thought the lineup had a shot to again be a very "thick" (his phrase, I like) lineup. I'd imagine the uncertainty about Gamel, Weeks & Ramirez (injury concerns for the latter two) is what kept him from going with a 4, but that's just my guess.

They almost never give out a 5 or a 1 to anyone so it really comes down to 2, 3 or 4 for most of the teams and using that ranking I'd error towards a 3 as well. Especially when you include the lack of depth. I think the only 5 lineup I've seen from them is the Rangers.

I agree with you TLB that the lineup probably is closer to 4. I know its difficult when you are only using a 5 point scale, but I don't see our lineup being just as good as our bench.

That being said, its nice to get some behind the scenes looks at our beloved team

Fair warning, where George Kottaras throws out a runner or hits a home run, the "gun show" quote will be referenced intermittently.

You'd think they'd have spent more time with Nyjer, but I guess since he's trying to be on good behavior this year he's keeping it on the down low.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Thaingster - he's keeping it R Kelly style!

Good stuff guys. Ya I was thinking about it more today and really did think this team has great chemistry. They just seem like they get a long so well and can have such a good time.

How about when they were making fun of braun's hair!!!?? That was hilarious!

It was a little boring, (especially Mitch, ugh)

Nothing too earth shattering to someone who follows the team. But still had it's moments of entertainment, especially the little nicky comp.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Archived