Brewer Fanatic

Royals extend Alcides

I'm glad we raded him, to be frank. I bought into his hype when he was a prospect, and thought he was going to be great based on his limited playing time in 2009, but after that he didn't bring much to the table. If the Royals are content with him, good for them I guess.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think extensions like this, Yuni continuing to be employed and Bianchi being plucked off waivers a couple of times shows the lack of quality SS around these days.

Good for Escobar to get this security. If KC's happy with him, good for them. They've got a lot of good young talent, so it's probably good for them to lock some of it up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If defensive WAR was at all indicative of anything I guess I'd get excited about +1 WAR for defense alone. As it is based on a calculation using well under the necessary numbers to be anywhere near accurate it's less than worthless. It's misleading.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If defensive WAR was at all indicative of anything I guess I'd get excited about +1 WAR for defense alone. As it is based on a calculation using well under the necessary numbers to be anywhere near accurate it's less than worthless. It's misleading.

I wasn't really using defensive UZR here but even assuming that you do it would be talking 3 years of data which is not worthless. He is one step below an elite defensive SS and a bad hitter but still an above replacement level player, he is below an average player. That puts him at something like 0.5 to 1.5 WAR which is about where he has ended up so far in his career. Nothing misleading at all about it.

You can't just stick your fingers in your ears and pretend defense doesn't exist so you have to find some way to assign a value to it. I tend to use a combination of stats, reputation and the eye test and they all point to him being a good defensive SS so I don't see any reason to doubt it.

I wasn't really using defensive UZR here but even assuming that you do it would be talking 3 years of data which is not worthless.

If I mistook your comment about him having a +1 WAR on defense alone wrongly I apologize. I just assumed you meant his WAR was +1 using UZR (or some version of it) since that is what is used in when calculating WAR. I may also be mistaken but I seem to remember reading WAR uses one year of UZR it's calculation not three for each. so regardless of how many years of WAR you take you are still using an insufficient number in each one to represent defense. Three wrong numbers don't suddenly make a right one.

You can't just stick your fingers in your ears and pretend defense doesn't exist so you have to find some way to assign a value to it. I tend to use a combination of stats, reputation and the eye test and they all point to him being a good defensive SS so I don't see any reason to doubt it.

There is a difference between knowing it exists and accepting the system used to describe it's value has any use in assessing said value. To say we have to find a way to represent it means we have to accept a faulty way of representing it is kind of iffy at best. It just leads to a false sense of certainty. In the thread about WAR a couple months ago one of the things even WAR defenders commented on was WAR was misused. Since that time I have seen it continuously be misused. Your comment included. Wasn't that comment the very definition of using mixing up predictive and counting stats?

I am all for using his defense to say it isn't a bad signing. In fact I agree with you. I am less for saying his +1 WAR created mainly on defensive metrics represents an accurate version of that defense. And way less sold that it can be used to asses weather he will meet the value of his new contract.

Last year the stats say he was a 2.2 WAR player with more than 3 WAR coming from defense, so he was worth around $10M for one year from a pure stat standpoint. I agree that I'd take that with a grain of salt considering most of the value comes from fielding (some from baserunning). Over the past 3 years he has put up 1.1 WAR per year and has a UZR/150 of 5.9 which seems a reasonable number. He isn't an amazing player in any way but he has some value for sure. His strong defense makes this hard to be a bad signing and his offense does have at least some upside which could make it a good one.

I've always liked Escobar's potential. He has a plus glove. SS is such a premium position of need in MLB right now that, depending on the $$$, this makes a lot of sense
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

EYES

That's my new favorite.

This is $10.5M minimum (4 seasons), $21.75M max (6 seasons). Assuming Escobra stays healthy for at least 5 of those 6 seasons, I'd imagine the Royals will be happy to have him at $3.6M AAV until he's 30.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Since the two options are club options I would be very happy with the Brewers making this deal. It is really a no downside other than injury move and it has a lot of potential upside if he starts to develop plate discipline or power. The only issue I have at all with the deal is that the arbitration system still undervalues defense so it might have been cheaper to go year to year just because defense doesn't pay the player at that age.

The only issue I have at all with the deal is that the arbitration system still undervalues defense so it might have been cheaper to go year to year just because defense doesn't pay the player at that age.

That all depends on what the proper value of defense is.

Archived