Brewer Fanatic

I-94, Construction & Miller Park

Bombers

Sorry if this was covered already. But an FYI for those who take 94 Eastbound into Miller Park.

What awesome timing by our city planners. Lets tear up eastbound 94 from 84th to 27th street the first week of March and have the expected closure run into baseball season. Freeway is down to 2 lanes and won't be opened back up until Summerfest. Awesome.

http://repave94.org/newsroom/lane-restrictions-begin-soon-on-i-94-eastbound

Construction couldn't have started last November, why?

No, it hasn't been covered. Thanks for posting this. It'll help people to plan ahead.

Just to make things even more interesting, DOT has major construction projects on both Bluemound Road and Captial Drive. While these projects are in Waukesha County, they do complicate the alternate route options a bit.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

There's a ton of stuff that goes into DOT projects - environmental surveys, bidding, funding, etc. Inconveniencing Brewers fans is probably pretty low on their list of concerns.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

For what it's worth:

We usually exit EB94 at Blue Mound Road and stay there until the turn onto Story Parkway. Last year's road work didn't slow us down all that much, even on weeknights when we'd be there during the 5:00 hour. It sounds like this year's road work is more of the same, just on a segment west of what was done in 2011.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

All the more reason to take Canal. Unforunately with this construction, I doubt it will be a secret anymore.

This won't effect the people coming from downtown. It will effect the people coming in from Madison and all points west.

As someone who drives this route regularly right now, it will definitely effect anyone going to the games on a weeknight. Even now, traffic is almost at a stand still from 4-7 pm, backed up to the I45 interchange on a regular basis.

My advice, if you're late, get off on HWY100 and take Blue Mound the rest of the way.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Coming from Madison, last year I learned to take 94 as long as I could, and then when we came to a halt (usually around State Fair Park), I'd hop off the interstate, cut over to Greenfield, and then come in on Canal. It's just getting freakin' more and more crazy. I guess it's good that more people are coming to the game, but I miss the easy in that it used to be.

All the more reason to take Canal. Unforunately with this construction, I doubt it will be a secret anymore.

This won't effect the people coming from downtown. It will effect the people coming in from Madison and all points west.

As someone who drives this route regularly right now, it will definitely effect anyone going to the games on a weeknight. Even now, traffic is almost at a stand still from 4-7 pm, backed up to the I45 interchange on a regular basis.

My advice, if you're late, get off on HWY100 and take Blue Mound the rest of the way.

Hopefully they don't route traffic that way. I impressed one of my friends who lives in Milwaukee by suggesting Bluemound last year. Got us around a ton of traffic. I hope it doesn't become to well known.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

that crap made me late for work like 4 times already

I would allow at least a half hour more than usual coming from the west. The construction is pretty much right between hwy 100 and miller park, so it couldn't be in a worse spot.

I have to leave 15-20 minutes earlier than usual to get to work

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

As a civil engineer, I know that you can't pave roads with asphalt in the winter when the ground is frozen. After looking at google maps street view (because I couldn't remember), this stretch is indeed asphalt. Concrete doesn't cure well in the cold either (which I can almost guarantee they will use at some point to fix the bridge). You can add admixtures and heat the ground to make concrete cure in the cold...but that gets expensive quick. There is no way they would have started this project start in November without being able to use either material. That just isn't very economical. That's the beauty of Wisconsin having a paving season. As much as I hate the way I think the DOT operates...they really didn't have much of a choice here. It's a case of pick your poison.

I think this will be quite a bit worse than last year because even if you want to get off at State Fair it is quite a chore to get there but like the previous poster mentioned there is little choice in when to do this, at least it started before the season started and it will be done by the end of June.

Coming from Madison, last year I learned to take 94 as long as I could, and then when we came to a halt (usually around State Fair Park), I'd hop off the interstate, cut over to Greenfield, and then come in on Canal. It's just getting freakin' more and more crazy. I guess it's good that more people are coming to the game, but I miss the easy in that it used to be.

Canal? Do you mean Miller park way? No real way to connect to Canal from greenfield.

I live in Waukesha and work downtown. As others have stated....yeah, it's going to be bad.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

You think it's bad now, just wait until the Zoo Interchange works starts in a few years.

Current

2011-2013

Preliminary and final freeway design

Start to address real estate and utility issues

2012/2013 - Improvements to adjacent major roadways

WIS 59 (Greenfield Ave.), 124th St. to 106th St.

Future

2011-2013

2013 - Improvements to adjacent major roadways

WIS 100, I-94 to Watertown Plank Rd.

WIS 59 (Greenfield Ave.), 106th St. to 97th St.

Cleveland Ave. Bridge

2014 - Improvements to adjacent major roadways

Watertown Plank Rd., 100th St. to 87th St.

2015-2018 - Reconstruct remainder of Zoo freeway including system interchange

You think it's bad now, just wait until the Zoo Interchange works starts in a few years.

Current

2011-2013

2012/2013 - Improvements to adjacent major roadways

WIS 59 (Greenfield Ave.), 124th St. to 106th St.

Future

2011-2013

2013 - Improvements to adjacent major roadways

WIS 100, I-94 to Watertown Plank Rd.

WIS 59 (Greenfield Ave.), 106th St. to 97th St.

Cleveland Ave. Bridge

2014 - Improvements to adjacent major roadways

Watertown Plank Rd., 100th St. to 87th St.

2015-2018 - Reconstruct remainder of Zoo freeway including system interchange

As Bad as that is going to be, I have to say that the Zoo interchange is in despereate need of an overhaul. Anyone that drives through there on a daily basis (especially on I94 EB during morning rush hour) should understand. It basically goes from 3 lanes to 2 lanes and then back to 3 lanes. Bottlenecks and accidents are frequent there as cars speed down the "exit only" left lane and then attempt to cut in at the last minute.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Looking at a map, Im wondering if I would be best off getting on 894 and taking either National or Greenfield across to the ballpark. It seems a bit out of the way but as I've learned in several years of dealing with the mess that is Phoenix rush hour traffic, its almost less headache to just stick to surface streets to get around anyhow. I would assume the same holds true for Milwaukee?
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Looking at a map, Im wondering if I would be best off getting on 894 and taking either National or Greenfield across to the ballpark. It seems a bit out of the way but as I've learned in several years of dealing with the mess that is Phoenix rush hour traffic, its almost less headache to just stick to surface streets to get around anyhow. I would assume the same holds true for Milwaukee?

National avenue would be the way to go, although I do remember on opening day they wouldn't let people turn left coming from the west. Thats the only day I remember that being an issue though (greenfield would be a good alternative if you go on opening day.)

If you get off on 894, you'd want to take Greenfield to National (they criss-cross at 63rd st) and National to Miller Park Way. That is, if you plan to park in preferred or the lot to the East of the stadium.

If you want to park in the North lot (off Bluemound), hop off at HWY 100 and take Bluemound Rd.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 2 months later...
So has 94 eastbound been as bad as advertised? Is Bluemound still the preferred route? We'll be rolling in 3 hours early to tailgate, but I'm guessing losing 2 lanes on 94 still bottles up traffic pretty good, right?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

During the day, it's pretty bad. I never take it, but i've seen it going westbound, and I can imagine you'll want to get off by state fair at the furthest. I don't know if the 68th/70th street exit is closed or not, but I know the entrance is.

Archived