Brewer Fanatic

Brewer All Disappointment Team

Meyer wasn't even given a full season to prove himself in the majors - 516 PA's over two seasons. Believe it or not, offense was down so much in baseball in 1988, his rookie season, that his OPS+ was 103. Granted, for a 1B that was probably a little below average and he was already 26 but he was only a rookie. In 1989 he was only given 164 PAs and then given up on. Compare that to the first two seasons of J.J. Hardy and Rickie Weeks; they had more plate appearances, OPS+ numbers below 100 (granted, expectations of OPS are low for SS), but they were given a much longer leash to prove themselves. Robidoux was only given ~450 PA's over four years, the fourth year being only his age 24 season. He was never a power hitter - he was an average hitter who drew more walks than Ks, but he was expected to hit home runs playing 1B/DH and got benched when he didn't. When it's musical chairs between those two, Greg Brock, and Paul Molitor for the 1B & DH spot in the lineup (and Molly's the fan favorite and they need to justify the trade for Brock) it's hard to get in a groove and produce. Thus why now many people feel it's better for young players to play every day in AAA then sit on the bench in the majors.

No surprise. Anyone who knows Gantner knows that's just the type fo guy he is. We always hope that the players we root for, ESPECIALLY a player like Gantner who played his whole career with one organization and was part of one of the best trio's of all time....but Gantner is one of the slimiest guy I know.

A little off topic, but no kidding? I had a few encounters with Gantner and he was more than pleasant every time. One time in particular, he had a long conversation with me when he didn't have to. Granted this was many years ago, when I was still starstruck by MLB players. I know that he's had some personal issues in the past several years, so maybe he's changed, but he definitely seemed a good guy to me. The guy also had the best penmanship that I've ever seen on an autograph. He must have gotten an A+ in 3rd grade cursive.

I played in LL against his son's team once (he was the coach). He couldn't have been nicer & more down to earth. I don't claim to know him at all, just that in my experience as a kid he was a classy coach & made sure to congratulate the players on our team who'd played well (we lost) after the game.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jeff D'Amico?

Interesting. When healthy, he was pretty darn good.

And he did pitch fairly well at the MLB level before completely succumbing to injuries... Sure, we would like more, but hardly a candidate for "All-Disappointment".

I can't really count an career ended in injury as a disappointment, unless the person was already injury prone prior to being drafted.

I don't know that Kevin Barker was ever that highly-touted in terms of prospect ratings, but he's the name from the 90s that I haven't seen in the thread. About the best thing you can say from his time in Milwaukee is that it brought about the (first) Richie Sexson trade.

Archived