Brewer Fanatic

Braun situation affecting Brewer fans in visiting ballparks?

Teatoe993
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been to a number of Twins games as well with no issue. To me it is hard to believe the Vikings and Twins fans are the same group of people.

I've been to literally dozens of games in the TC and I will agree that the Vikings fans are the worst. I've had a few issues with Twins fans, but nothing major. The few confrontations that have gotten the most 'heated' have been with Vikings fans, so I should have clarified. That said, I attended these Twins/Brewers games in the Metrodome, and there were probably as many or more Brewers fans there than Twins fans generally. I'm not sure if the new stadium and recent success has changed things or not.

From my experience, baseball fans are generally more laid back than football fans.

BTW, from my experience, Minnesota fans are the absolute worst in this way.

Out of all the games I've been to anyhwhere, hands down the most confrontational fans I have ever encountered are Twins fans at MP. Maybe not so much now that we are the more successful team for the time being, but in years past they would travel to Milwaukee pretty well and acted like they owned the place. I was at Target Field last July (2nd) when we staged a huge comeback vs the Twins and I was pretty pumped up about it and had zero issues there. At MP, different story

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Twins fans held a grudge against Bud Selig for years.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Twins fans held a grudge against Bud Selig for years.

Do you think they've actually stopped? I'm not saying for sure that I wouldn't respond similarly if someone wanted to contract my team.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

To be fair, I was at a Brewers/Twins game a few years ago where the Brewers won game 3 of the series to avoid a sweep. Walking out of Miller Park there were a couple Twins fans in the middle of everyone and a "Screw (but rated-R version) The Twins!" chant started. There are drunk idiots everywhere.

Also, I completely agree with whoever said they can't believe Twins fans and Vikings fans are the same people. It's like two different worlds.

There are probably only a handful of places I would be wary of wearing Brewers gear. STL and PHI are the two places I just wouldn't want to hassle with. Perhaps CHI could be thrown in there too.

I wear my Brewer gear to Cubs games all the time. As long as you aren't in the bleachers you won't get a hassle. Not to mention there are usually plenty of Brewer fans there to back you up.

My guess is that 90% of people at Wrigley Field have no clue who Ryan Braun is.

if you have a problem, find an usher or security official. politely state that you're visiting their fair city, paid the team for your tickets (not a ticket reseller), that you've been spending money at area hotels, restaurants and merchants . . . but that you're dissatisfied with a fan's or fans' behavior.

We went to Pittsburgh last summer, and I was surprised at the boos that rained down for Braun and Prince with each at bat.

Rained down is a little extreme considering it was a Pirates crowd. More like drizzled.

lol

True, and the Pirates fans around us were all very welcoming. Nobody gave us any problems at all. Two years ago we were at PNC and we were compelled to move away from some obnoxious, drunk Brewer fans.

I was talking with my wife about this thread and she said she'll wear her Brewer gear at Citi Field, but not her Braun jersey.

You may run like Mays...

Living in Western WI and Minneapolis just about my whole life, I've dealt with MN fans a lot in my days. Most of the smack talking is with friends but it still gets heated. I blame them for my hate of MN teams. That being said, I do respect the twins and their fans. I do think MN fans are very fair weather in general but the Twins are a great organization. I think there is less smack talking with baseball because they are in different leagues and there isn't as much riding on one game or series, compared to one game in the NFL. I also think for quite awhile, twins fans looked at the Brewers like a 2nd rate team. I don't think they bothered waisting their breath on us.

Viking's fans hate Packer fans because of how much success we've had. I really think it kills them deep down. I also think there are way more knuckle heads in the Vikings fan group. But we have idiot fans in WI too. I just think that the Viking's fans really have a chip on their shoulder and it eats them up.

I never really had big problems with Vikings fans until the 'Purple Pride' folks jumped on the wagon with Randy Moss in '98. This new segment of fans brought a whole different atmosphere to the games. Many of these new fans seemed more prone to drinking/obnoxiousness. Before Moss, games were routinely blacked out in 'The Cities'. Afterwards, the games kind of seemed like going to a WWF event.

Bottom line, as I've gotten older, I don't like going to games as much in general. Sometimes it's tough to take kids to games at Miller Park due to the boorish behavior of some of the fans, and I don't consider myself to be a prude by any means. I would say that some Badger football fans are pretty bad to opposing fans as well, which could be expected due to the mix of age/drinking going on at these games.

I will say that the nicest fans that I've ever met have been in Kansas City. Never had a single problem there. If you are approached by a fan, they generally want to talk sports. About half the Cardinal fans seem to be like this as well, the other half are annoying twits.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd bump this to see how things have been for fans attending road games re: Braun since I'll be at AT&T tomorrow night.

I feel like the issue is too complex to even bother arguing with anyone who's going to mouth off about it at any rate.

(And SF, which worshiped Barry Bonds when he was here and where I used to hear all kinds of odd philosophical pro-Bonds/steroids arguments is kind of an odd duck for it, similar to Chicago and St. Louis, which worshiped Sammy and Big Mac. They've been increasingly hostile to the Brew Crew here after the bowling-pin celebration and Nyjer's antics last year, so I'll probably hear it anyway.)

In that very dark period of 1966-1969, when except for "home games" played in Milwaukee by the White Sox (68 and 69), there was no major league baseball in Milwaukee, I know I kind of resented the fact that Minnesota now had a team and mine was taken away. But I never begrudged their fans nor blamed them for the Braves leaving though. That was due to Chicago rich guys eying more wealth in the south, no doubt encouraged by their Cub owner neighbor who liked the idea of returning lost Cub fans in Wisconsin to their roots.

That was due to Chicago rich guys eying more wealth in the south, no doubt encouraged by their Cub owner neighbor who liked the idea of returning lost Cub fans in Wisconsin to their roots.

It bothers me to no end (if only just slightly) that the Wausau TV stations show Cubs highlights every single night after the Brewers highlights on the local news and have done so for decades now.

There are probably only a handful of places I would be wary of wearing Brewers gear. STL and PHI are the two places I just wouldn't want to hassle with. Perhaps CHI could be thrown in there too.

I wear my Brewer gear to Cubs games all the time. As long as you aren't in the bleachers you won't get a hassle. Not to mention there are usually plenty of Brewer fans there to back you up.

Maybe it's because they expected to suck this year, but when i was in the bleachers for the Tuesday night game vs the cubs, nobody said a word to me(except after the game when a cub fan yelled at me "YEA WELL, BRAUN STILL HAS HERPES". Then again, i am a big guy(6'4, 275) and i mind my own business, so i rarely have problems. I've never had a problem with cub fans in wrigley, Miller park on the other hand, they always felt the need to spout off to me.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

i got baited into it in atlanta the second game of the series. I was walking back to my seat from the bathroom and a drunk guy (not that I was exactly sober) started talking about braun/the brewers. I guess I had a little pent up frustration from the boos and the team struggling that weekend so I talked back. I'd like to think I was pretty calm and collected (I had a few asides with his friends which were pleasant, and they acknowledge I "won" the argument), and then after a few minutes I had a beer thrown at me by someone else (probably from the deck at the chop house) and an usher came over and threatened to throw me out, naturally.

Anyway, I was there all three games and that was my only "bad" experience. it wouldn't have happened if i had held my tongue, and there was never really a threat of any violence. Outside of that, I watched the game and cheered when appropriate and there weren't any problems. Don't be stupid (like me) and don't let it escalate and there will be no problems.

All very mild at Petco Mon. and Wed. and I had Brewer gear on both days. But I was in good seats near the Brewer dugout so there were a lot of Brewer fans and those that weren't weren't drinking all that much. By Wed. Braun wasn't drawing a single boo, at least that I heard. And outside of the boos for him (and to a much lesser extent Morgan) on Monday no hostility towards the Brewers or their fans at all. I think it will be a whole different thing on Memorial Day at Dodger Stadium.

One thing about San Diego, as noted in one of the threads one of the Padres radio guys, Ted Lightner, is insane on Braun. He "reports" as absolute fact that Braun cheated even though he agrees that it makes no sense for him to have done so. Before Tuesday's game he said something like "I was proud of the Padres fans for booing him." I like him on the whole but he would rather be a raving lunatic than be ignored. Kind of a Keith Olbermann wannabe.

I feel like the issue is too complex to even bother arguing with anyone who's going to mouth off about it at any rate.

(And SF, which worshiped Barry Bonds when he was here and where I used to hear all kinds of odd philosophical pro-Bonds/steroids arguments is kind of an odd duck for it, similar to Chicago and St. Louis, which worshiped Sammy and Big Mac. They've been increasingly hostile to the Brew Crew here after the bowling-pin celebration and Nyjer's antics last year, so I'll probably hear it anyway.)

I guess if I were you, and a Giant fan were heckling me or I heard them heckling Braun, I'd politely ask "Did you cheer for Barry Bonds?" Assuming the answer is going to be "Yes" my response back would be "Then you have no business heckling me/Braun." And I'd leave it at that.

Follow me on Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

There are enough Brewer fans at Wrigley to back you up if there are issues. And most Cub fans are wussies anyway.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There's also the fact that people who go to games at Wrigley are generally not the loud obnoxious types that tend to come to Miller Park and give Cubs fans a bad name. I've never been to a Sox game in Chicago, but I'd probably be more worried about going to a Brewers game there than at Wrigley.

Archived