Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

"Due to an unfortunate injury to one of the greatest pitchers of all time, playing for the greatest franchise in the history of sports, Bud Selig announced today that all players are forbidden from attempting to catch or field batted balls during batting practice. Selig is currently investigating whether or not to ban the practice during games as well."

MLB Press Release

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pujols is dead last in WAR so far this season at -0.9. He's hitting .194/.237/.269 right now.

Last season, for the first time in his career, Pujols looked entirely human. His walk rates over the past four seasons (2009-2012) are {16.4, 14.7, 9.4, 5.3}. His O-Swing % over the past four years: {22.9, 27.5, 31.8, 39.8}. His Z-Swing % over the past four years: {66.6, 63.0, 62.9, 59.0}.

Is it reasonable for Angels fans to start to get somewhat concerned that rather than the .300/.400/.600 type guy they thought they were getting is going to produce at more like the .290/.370/.530 level? I honestly have no clue what to make of this, and I usually don't make much of just one month, but when you look at the last month+last season he just hasn't been that same dominant guy.

Pujols has been Kevin Barker bad. Based on what he has done in his career, we are getting past the point where you can write this off as a simple slump.

On another note, Prince hasn't exactly been tearing up the American League either.

Kevin Barker OPS'ed 1.060 in Mexican AAA last season. Might as well let him sign on the dotted line...

(It's sad that I'm almost slightly serious.)

I'm curious of how often an elite player has a month like Pujols has had from April-May 6th. I know they aren't as noticeable when they aren't early season slumps, but we're looking at a projected 900+ OPS guy struggling to crack 500 OPS in over a month. I imagine this happens once every season or every couple, but it's just unbelievable because it's Pujols.

Adam Dunn may once again be Adam Dunn.

His current line .250/.376/.573

Yeah, this has been so fun to watch. Possibly my favorite player in the game. The bomb he hot off of Valverde yesterday was just great.

Kevin Barker OPS'ed 1.060 in Mexican AAA last season. Might as well let him sign on the dotted line...

(It's sad that I'm almost slightly serious.)

I'm curious of how often an elite player has a month like Pujols has had from April-May 6th. I know they aren't as noticeable when they aren't early season slumps, but we're looking at a projected 900+ OPS guy struggling to crack 500 OPS in over a month. I imagine this happens once every season or every couple, but it's just unbelievable because it's Pujols.

I really enjoyed this article from BP last week:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16628

The gist of it being that Pujols has possibly changed his approach to become a free-swinger. The fact that he has walked the same amount as Jeff Francouer since the all-star break of last year is quite alarming. If he stays that way, even if he starts making more solid contact and getting hits, it's still going to be a bad deal for the Angels pretty soon. Albert Pujols with a .340-.350 OBP is a hell of a lot less valuable than the guy who had the .418 career mark coming into this season and was walking 90-115 times on the regular a couple years ago.

That's a good article, and in the two weeks since it was written, it certainly hasn't gotten any better. It's his swing rates that really alarm me: This season, he's swung at nearly 40% of pitches out of the zone. That's 13th in all of MLB. Maybe we really should expect a .300/.375/.550 type of hitter going forward. Combine that with age, and this deal could become a pretty bad one pretty quickly.

Adam Dunn may once again be Adam Dunn.

His current line .250/.376/.573

Yeah, this has been so fun to watch. Possibly my favorite player in the game. The bomb he hot off of Valverde yesterday was just great.

Dunn just went deep again.

Yeah, it was just an odd year. I think it's possible that DH'ing so much for the first time also effected him. He's already at 9 HR this year after only hitting 11 all of last season. His BABIP was also down like 50 points from his career norm and over 80 points down from his Nats seasons. So, it was probably a combination of injury, role change, and luck - a perfect storm, I guess.

BABIP and luck doesn't really explain his power completely disappearing though. His infield flyball rate doubled, and his HR/FB rate was more than cut in half in 2011. His isolated power was .118 (nyjer morgan was .116, for a comparison...that's behind guys like Sam Fuld and Roger Bernadina!!) compared to his career ISO of .260. I guess you could put a lot of that on the appendectomy, but just a weird, almost unexplainable year for him in 2011.

Someone dropped him in my fantasy league about 3-4 weeks ago (it counts OBP and SLG)...was so upset when I didn't get him with the #3 spot.

The little fist pump by Showalter afterwards was pretty awesome.

Yeah, it reminded me of the Andrew Bogut air-high fives on the free throw line a couple years ago.

Lol, yeah. Except that his teammates genuinely didn't high-five him on that one. This was just a joke on Reynolds.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived