Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

It may be me, but based on games that I've watched (and my fantasy team), it seems like there are a ton of hitters off to terrible starts. Obviously the season is young, but it seems that every other guy in a given lineup is well under .200 (watching the Yankees game now). I haven't noticed this as much in other seasons.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we should start a separate, on-going bad calls thread, purely for yucks and not to circumvent the vent thread prohibition. This pic is up at Deadspin today. Shows the 5-pitch K to end the Rays-Red Sox game today in Boston (1-0 Rays victory).

Who knows. Maybe the pitch tracker is "off".

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17js9zoncd6jvpng/xlarge.png

http://deadspin.com/5902405/the-red-sox-game-ended-with-a-magical-elastic-strike-zone

Anyone else been catching the "analysis" of Jerry Manuel on MLB Network? After hearing the things he says I can't believe any GM ever hired him. He makes Harold Reynolds seem moderately intelligent.

I didn't see it but I just read an article relating to Jackie Robinson day and how there are still very few minorities in manager and GM roles. Dave Stewart had this quote:

"What did Jerry Manuel do to not get another opportunity to manage?" Stewart said of the former Mets manager. "He didn't get one interview after he was hired from the Mets. Not one. He had to go to the MLB Network just to stay around the game.

I don't want to turn this into a political debate but I don't think these things always come down to race. If a guy is good, he's good. I don't care what color he is. I remember when Dave Stewart was the pitching coach here and he didn't exactly come off as a likable guy. I always liked him as a player but he came across as kind of a jerk.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Anyone else been catching the "analysis" of Jerry Manuel on MLB Network? After hearing the things he says I can't believe any GM ever hired him. He makes Harold Reynolds seem moderately intelligent.

I didn't see it but I just read an article relating to Jackie Robinson day and how there are still very few minorities in manager and GM roles. Dave Stewart had this quote:

"What did Jerry Manuel do to not get another opportunity to manage?" Stewart said of the former Mets manager. "He didn't get one interview after he was hired from the Mets. Not one. He had to go to the MLB Network just to stay around the game.

I don't want to turn this into a political debate but I don't think these things always come down to race. If a guy is good, he's good. I don't care what color he is. I remember when Dave Stewart was the pitching coach here and he didn't exactly come off as a likable guy. I always liked him as a player but he came across as kind of a jerk.

Jerry just really seems like he has no clue from what I've heard him say. Maybe it's just him saying something to fill dead air.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/rick-ankiel-throw-earns-standing-ovation-nats-fans-134322346.html

Like the article says..."one of the best parts of the video is that the ball crosses home plate — or at least came darn close to it — which is something Ankiel struggled to do from 6o feet, 6 inches when he was a highly touted pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals."

Absolutely unreal arm. Schafer is very fast too.

The Jays shift a ton on LHB's and always put him in the 2B position. He's made a few good plays out there this year.

He wasn't playing where a second basemen normally would play during the shift. He was playing literally Right Field. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the clip is on MLB.com.

Archived