Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

Nothing that the A's do this year has anything to do with bashing Beane, this was a pretty magical season that has very little to do with the full range of talent they put on the field.

Having said that the Rangers had a great team that just slumped badly at the wrong time, can't blame the GM for that. Sometimes nobody is to blame, it was just bad timing.

Dusty Baker is one of the 10 worst managers in baseball and his team might win the World Series, try not to read too much into these things.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/8490251/josh-hamilton-waited-quit-chewing-tobacco

Basically, Rangers president Nolan Ryan is being critical of the timing of Josh Hamilton giving up tobacco, saying he should have waited til the off-season. I'm sorry, I didn't know there was ever a 'bad time' to stop putting addictive, harmful substances into your body.

On the other hand, this article has some good stuff from Hamilton too, about how he had such a horrible 2nd half because caffeine.

Guy doesn't run out of excuses, that's for sure.

He had the approach of a T-baller all season: Swing at anything and everything. It's no surprise pitchers stopped throwing him strikes and he struggled.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

He had the approach of a T-baller all season: Swing at anything and everything. It's no surprise pitchers stopped throwing him strikes and he struggled.

He had 60 walks this year and his strikeouts were high but nothing crazy. His OBP was .70 higher than his BA. I guess I didnt see many of his games so I am not sure if his approach was that terrible

Heath Bell/Cliff Pennington to the D'Backs, Chris Young to the A's, Yordy Cabrera to the Marlins. Love it as an A's fan. Hopefully this means they keep Stephen Drew around, though hopefully not by paying him his $10 million option.

Sheer boredom has me looking up random things and this one has me hating the DH more today than I did yesterday:

In 16 MLB seasons (1832 games), David Ortiz has only played 257 games in the field at 1B. That's an average 16 games per year in the field or 14% of his total MLB games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/ortizda01.shtml

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For some reason this just hit me, but it's going to be really strange this coming season with Chipper Jones not being an active player on the Braves. I was always a fan of his and was a big Braves fan in the 90's (second to the Crew of course), and he was one of those guys that was just always there, doing what he always did. I'll miss seeing him play.

For some reason this just hit me, but it's going to be really strange this coming season with Chipper Jones not being an active player on the Braves. I was always a fan of his and was a big Braves fan in the 90's (second to the Crew of course), and he was one of those guys that was just always there, doing what he always did. I'll miss seeing him play.

Agreed. His motto/slogan has been my signature since I saw he'd announced his retirement. Definite HOFer, and I'll miss that quiet, sweet swing.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived