Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Who has the home field in a Texas vs. Baltimore or NY one-game playoff?

Edit:

@ Baltimore if Baltimore wins tonight and NYY wins

@ Texas if Baltimore loses

@ Bal/NYY loser if AL East tie

Balfour rage?

A's fans going wild. This is cool. If Oakland wins and yankees lose then Oakland is the #1 seed in the AL. That would be nice.

Only in the 5th, but the Yanks are up 5-1 & threatening to add more.

EDIT: Aannnnd Robbie Cano just knocked out a 2-R HR right after I posted this. 7-1 now.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I love the results of this race and I don't want to be the debbie downer of the group but lets be realistic. Every year a couple teams win 8 to 10 more games than their talent and then every 10 years some team wins 15-20 games more than their talent and the A's are one of those two groups. To be fair the Brewers were in group A last year. This A's team easily could be under .500 next year. They are the 2005 White Sox which is a great story and really fun to follow but just gets way too much credit because people refuse to admit that even in a 162 game season the results have extreme variance.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I love the results of this race and I don't want to be the debbie downer of the group but lets be realistic. Every year a couple teams win 8 to 10 more games than their talent and then every 10 years some team wins 15-20 games more than their talent and the A's are one of those two groups. To be fair the Brewers were in group A last year. This A's team easily could be under .500 next year. They are the 2005 White Sox which is a great story and really fun to follow but just gets way too much credit because people refuse to admit that even in a 162 game season the results have extreme variance.

So? Are the results any less valid because you think the talent is not equal to that of a 94 win team? I don't think you'll find too many people that would disagree that the A's played over their heads this year, so I'm not really sure what the point you're trying to make is. They had a great year, why should the fans, or just baseball fans in general, feel any less entitled about enjoying it simply because of 'variance'?

Nope they aren't any less value but the praise heaped on the GM and the manager are certainly less valuable. All the moneyball comments etc are just kind of silly given the reality of how this happened. This wasn't some huge coup by Beane it was probably just a flukey year by a fun franchise.

Nope they aren't any less value but the praise heaped on the GM and the manager are certainly less valuable. All the moneyball comments etc are just kind of silly given the reality of how this happened. This wasn't some huge coup by Beane it was probably just a flukey year by a fun franchise.

Actually, it's a reflection on Beane's commitment to building the A's in the right manner, year-by-year. He's consistently made good trades & acquisitions, and while this season in a vacuum may be a 'fluke', it's certainly no fluke that a team that built around young pitching & impact talent is in the postseason.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Usually, the reason a team "plays over their head" is the bullpen. Same reason why the Reds ran away with the central (as I expected) and why the Orioles were so good. So, it's a fluke in the sense that bullpen performance is difficult to predict, but not really in any other way. They had a run differential around +100, it wasn't like they won all one run games.

Ichiro has 2606 hits in the MLB at age 38. hitting 3000 is obtainable! has to be one of the greatest contact hitters in baseball history

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Cubs fired Listach

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Hitting coaches getting axed. Kevin Seitzer in Kansas City and Chris Chambliss in Seattle.

Remember when Chambliss was considered a possible manager not that long ago, including Milwaukee.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." - Charles M. Schulz

Community Moderator

Valentine knew he was toast and he got his two cents in. His managing career is over, but then again, I'm not sure he was ever 100% into it again.

The A's will probably be going with an all-rookie rotation in the NLDS. It's still a classic Beane team--a mix of rookies and castaways that he picked off the garbage heap.

I am really excited for the 1-game playoffs tomorrow. Those have always been my favorite type of MLB game and they usually seem to be close, intense games. I haven't watched much of the World Series in a long time, the slow game pace and horrible announcing make it too boring. Hopefully the Orioles don't get blown out early, which is a decent possibility with Joe Saunders starting for the O's.

Archived