Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

I just heard today on 1570 that the Brewers three, four and five hitters are second in all of baseball in run production. Behind only Texas. It's amazing how right so many experts were on what kind of season the Brewers would have yet be so wrong on the reason's why. Losing prince hasn't hurt one bit.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Braun leads the NL in HR by a wide margin, leads the league in OPS, is tied for the league lead in RBI, and is in the Top 10 in both BA & OBP yet he really hasn't been in the MVP discussion. With McCutchen falling back to earth there doesn't appear to be a frontrunner at all. I would hope Braun would be included in the conversation with McCutcheon, Holliday, and Posey.

He'll be in the conversation, but he won't come close to winning because:

1a) Losing team

1b) PED suspicion

2) Batting Average

Excerpt from a Barclays research report on Disney's new deal today.

According to Sports Business Daily, ESPN signed a new 8-year deal with Major League

Baseball for $5.6B, which equates to an annual cost of $700M, up from the ~$350M

rights increase is substantial, we continue to believe in the rising value of sports

content, particularly in a world where content is increasingly viewed on a time-shifted

basis. ESPN now has the rights for the three most popular professional sports (NFL,

NBA, MLB) locked up through at least 2016.

Reported 8-year deal for $5.6B: As part of the new deal, ESPN gains the rights to 10

additional regular season games, any potential regular season tiebreaker games, a wildcard

game, and hundreds more studio programming hours. Similar to the Monday

Night Football deal, the MLB deal also includes more expansive digital and online rights.

NFL, NBA, and MLB locked up through at least 2016. ESPN has locked up the rights

for Monday Night Football through 2021, NBA basketball through 2016, and now MLB

baseball through 2021.

Laterals include NWSA (FOX) and TWX (TBS), whose MLB deals also expire in 2013: Fox and TBS

currently pay roughly $250M and $150M, respectively, to the league for their MLB

rights packages. We think a new deal could see increases in the same ballpark as the

ESPN deal.

My comment:

More money for teams means more more money for salaries.

I agree jericho, $15MM and $20MM just isn't going to get what it used to so the idea that all these other teams are stupid for taking on big contracts or that the Brewers are going to get above average players at $10MM or less is just going to be harder and harder to believe.

Same old Cardinals. Josh Harrison runs over Molina at the plate (totally clean by the way) and he gets plunked the next time up. Of course, warnings were issued right away so Pittsburgh can't hit anyone.

They should only warn the side that hits someone. That way the team who actually is doing the dirty play doesn't always get a free shot. Especially when a team like the Cards do it on such a regular basis. I can't help but believe they rely on the warnings so they never have to face any retribution for their dirty play.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Braun leads the NL in HR by a wide margin, leads the league in OPS, is tied for the league lead in RBI, and is in the Top 10 in both BA & OBP yet he really hasn't been in the MVP discussion. With McCutchen falling back to earth there doesn't appear to be a frontrunner at all. I would hope Braun would be included in the conversation with McCutcheon, Holliday, and Posey. I think Braun will need a monster September to win MVP and some sub par performances from the others given the offseason drama; but the season he has put together is rather remarkable.

I think this is Braun's more impressive season to date, and in my opinion, there is little question about it.

-The obvious distraction and pressure from the off-season saga with the drug test. He can say he didn't or wasn't going to put any pressure on himself, but that's typical BS talk. Not that I'm saying anything the least big negative about him, just that it strikes me as a standard statement from someone in that situation.

-Prince not being behind him in the lineup. Granted, we all know that protection in a lineup is GREATLY exaggerated, but at least IMO, it's still at least A factor. It's impossible to quanfity how big. Just the pressure of knowing you lost a 200+ million dollar bat from your lineup in his peak and you'll have to pick up the slack if you don't buy the protection issue.

And yet, he has the second highest OPS of his career, AFTER leading the league the last two years at .994('10) and .986('11) with a 1.001 OPS, second only to his 1.014 rookie season which was the most spectacular rookie season I'd ever witnessed until Mike Trout and his 102 runs, 41 SB(5 CS) and league leading SLG and OPS with 25 HR's while playing plus defense from a guy who wasn't suppose to be a big time power hitter. But I digree. He's at 36 HR's which puts him on pace for 46 HR's, 115 RBI's without having great production in front of him...not that it's an important stat, but one voters use. He's also on pace for nearly 30 SB's again, which with his leg issues this year, though not serious, but nagging, is impressive. Infact, it's impressive, he's been able to continue to steal bases like he has. You often see a guy early in their career(see Hart) with good SB totals, but then they nearly disappear(Weeks is another to a lesser degree).

And while he's not a great or even good LF'er, he's become a very competent one. I know the value in that is low, but it's just yet another area in which his game as continued to progress.

This is his 6th year in the league. I can't even imagine what the market would be for him had he not signed with the Brewers? I think a team like the Red Sox, particularly in the position they're in right now would have gone as high as 10 years 300 million. Same With Tulo. Imagine if the two hit the market at the same time. The Red Sox may have broken a FA record with about 600 million in Free Agent contracts!

Of course that's useless conjecture, but it's just incredible what we're paying him and I suspect with all the money pouring into MLB teams right now(The new TV deal just announed yesterday that doubles MLB's money from ESPN and giving them one WC game) and the increases in the local TV revenues, I think Braun's going to eclipes his contract significantly...

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

After being pounded by the Brewers for 6 runs in less than 5 IP the Pirates cut Eric Bedard.

After giving up 3 straight ding bombs without recording an out against the Brewers the Cubs DFA'd Alex Hinshaw.

Nice

Reminds me of the stretch last year when the Packers put some beatings on a couple teams in which they fired their coach in back to back weeks. I don't recall who the teams where. I was thinking it was something like Denver and SF, but that can't be it obviously with Harbaugh. I must be getting my seasons confussed. Anyway, a couple coaches lost their jobs after Packers blowouts.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Laterals include NWSA (FOX) and TWX (TBS), whose MLB deals also expire in 2013

Please, please, please, please, please, please let FOX not renew their deal with MLB. I just can't take anymore Tim McCarver calling the World Series! I just can't! It would be SO refreshing to have CBS or ABC or anyone else do it and hear Costas or anyone else call an intelligent World Series. I beg the baseball TV gods! Only 2 more years!

Tom Verducci's great take on the Cubs attempt to bean Harper.

Though you may not know it sometimes by the way the Cubs play, this is not Williamsport. We play nine innings in big boy baseball. Apparently the Cubs think you're not supposed to play hard against them when they are down five with four turns at bat still remaining.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/09/07/zach-britton-orioles-cubs-beanball/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

True to my XX-chromosome nature, I tend to be unimpressed by beanballs, retaliation, brawls or the like. When I saw a clip of the Cubs getting into it with someone the other night, I was thinking, "what did those thugs try to do this time" - but I'm not going to lie, once I realized they threw at the punk Harper, I was maybe 10 percent intrigued. When it comes to Cubs vs. Bryce Harper, I'm not sure I want either side to win.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Baltimore is 76-59, 17 games over .500, with a -19 run differential.

Milwaukee is 66-69, 3 games under .500, with a +23 run differential.

While some of that is just luck, the rest is almost entirely bullpen related.

The Brewers pen has blown to many very winnable games and Baltimore has been great in the bullpen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/bal/stats?stat_category=mlb.stat_category.2&sort=mlb.stat_type.103

Look at all of those guys in their pen with an ERA under-3

Archived