Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry I can't get an actual quote, but to paraphrase Adam Dunn in an interview ESPN just played mid-game (NYY@CHW), Dunn said he can see why A.J. Pierzynski has the reputation he has, and that he's one of those guys you like on your team but hate as an opponent... and that he will absolutely run Pierzynski over if he ever has the chance as an opponent. Pretty funny quip, as is made obvious by my masterful re-telling.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm sorry I can't get an actual quote, but to paraphrase Adam Dunn in an interview ESPN just played mid-game (NYY@CHW), Dunn said he can see why A.J. Pierzynski has the reputation he has, and that he's one of those guys you like on your team but hate as an opponent... and that he will absolutely run Pierzynski over if he ever has the chance as an opponent. Pretty funny quip, as is made obvious by my masterful re-telling.

[sarcasm]I'm at a complete loss as to why you put that last part in blue.[/sarcasm]

Isn't that like $400MM in payroll the Dodgers could be taking on? They obviously know more than we do, but Crawford and Beckett look like bad contracts, and Gonzalez is owed a huge amount. We'll have to wait to hear how the $ work out, but for now, ... wow...

Here's what I have on the payroll the Dodgers are taking on, not including this season, and their Zips projections just for fun:

Crawford: 5 years, $102.5 million, .283/.323/.446.

Gonzalez: 6 years, $127 million, .301/.369/.504.

Beckett: 2 years, $31.5 million, 3.86 ERA/ 4.04 FIP.

Punto: 1 year, $1.5 million, .229/.327/.271.

I'm not sure if the Red Sox are picking up any of these contracts. Crawford won't even be able to play next season as far as I know. Gonzalez's power has been way down ever since leaving San Diego.

To me this trade looks to be comically bad for the Dodgers. Am I missing something or is this just a horrible horrible trade?

Don't want to derail the thread too much but, I keep reading that Crawford won't be back next year. Was there a set back with his surgery or did they find something unexpected when they opened up his arm? Everything that I've heard is that position players can expect to be back on the field a little over 6 months after TJ surgery which would have him ready around Spring Training 2013 if not shortly after the season starts.

If you look back on recent position players to have TJ, Tony Womack and Xavier Nady were both out about 6-8 months.

Even if Crawford was able to play to begin next season, I don't think this trade is going to be good for the Dodgers in the long run but it is interesting to see the Red Sox making moves to dump payroll during a season.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

There must be something in the water in LA. Hanley shows up and looks like a brand new man, and Gonzalez rips a 3 run homer in his first at bat. I expect a no-hitter from Beckett on Monday.

I find this rather odd and weird both the Rays and the A's don't play today. I am assuming this is because of the hurricane and they moved a game from Sunday and played it on Thursday?

Has this ever happened before?

I find this rather odd and weird both the Rays and the A's don't play today. I am assuming this is because of the hurricane and they moved a game from Sunday and played it on Thursday?

Has this ever happened before?

The game was originally moved because of the Republican convention. But it worked out well that a hurricane came through at the same tine.

Random NL things I find interesting:

The Padres won 8 in a row and brought up Casey Kelly who had a nice debut last night.

Can the Pirates get to 81 wins? Is it truly important? Not in the grand scheme but I remember Brewers fans enjoying that 81 win season in 2005. Baby steps

Will the Dodgers overtake the Giants after their acquisition spree? Would it be a failure if they don't make the playoffs?

Finally, how far will the Mets fall? They're currently 10 under .500 and are 13-29 in the 2nd half. A pretender in the 1st half, a harsh slap back to reality in the 2nd half.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." - Charles M. Schulz

Braun leads the NL in HR by a wide margin, leads the league in OPS, is tied for the league lead in RBI, and is in the Top 10 in both BA & OBP yet he really hasn't been in the MVP discussion. With McCutchen falling back to earth there doesn't appear to be a frontrunner at all. I would hope Braun would be included in the conversation with McCutcheon, Holliday, and Posey. I think Braun will need a monster September to win MVP and some sub par performances from the others given the offseason drama; but the season he has put together is rather remarkable.

The Brewers have had two of the ten or so most productive hitters in the NL this season in Ramirez and Braun. Right now the MVP discussion should really be between Braun and McCutchen. Given the fact that McCutchen lead the Pirates to contention you have to think that if he finishes the season with numbers even close to as good as Braun, he'll win the MVP.

Archived