Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buster Olney tweeted today about the qualifying offer to players eligible for free agency:

The qualifying offer to free agents --required to get draft-pick compensation-- will be in $13.3-$13.4m range, rather than expected $12.5m.

Just thought it was relevant in general, and specifically with regards to Marcum.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How can you not love Vin Scully? -- Link

"The Dodgers received a Twitter -- certainly Matt Kemp received it, so did Hanley Ramirez. And the Twitter came from Shane Victorino, who is gonna be here for tomorrow's game, a 12:10 game against Arizona. And the Twitter read -- or do you say Twit? -- anyway, the Twit read... [proceeds to read Victorino tweet]"
Please never retire. Ever.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is anyone else really glad that we aren't the team saddled with paying Prince Fielder $24 million dollars a year for the next 9 years?

He's going to be less of a viable starting first baseman as he gets older, and the power numbers are down this year at 17. We are getting that kind of power just fine out of Hart at a much lower post-arby price.

He's putting up an .888 OPS currently, which is good, but not for that kind of price tag.

If you look at his career numbers, Prince is a statistical oddity. He has alternated between an MVP type season followed by a still good but much more modest .875ish OPS type season, his entire career.

The A's are so much fun to watch this year. They have made baseball fandom so much more enjoyable with the Brewers season being such a trainwreck. I wish they had a good old A's offense, though Chris Carter has come up and mashed and Jonny Gomes has always been a personal favorite and it's been nice to see him come back and hit like he always was capable of. The pitching has been the story, though, with them leading the AL in ERA. The entire rotation is good (obviously helped by the O.Co) and they have some really nice young bullpen arms that are performing well to go along with it. They probably don't have the horses to hang around with the big money teams in that division and league through September, but this season has already pretty much been a success.

A couple of years ago I was wondering about piggybacking starters in the Big Leagues. I thought it was probably too crazy for someone to actually attempt... I was wrong.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rockies--pitching-strategy-is-historically-wacky--and-not-working-.html

The system Dan O'Dowd is implementing seems to be 4 starters with 3 little piggies. I was thinking six starters taking turns starting/relieving on a 3-day schedule, pairing lefties with righties. My hypothesis was that you could make pitchers with limited repertoires more "effective" by not allowing the starter to go through the order more than a couple of times. There may be other hypothetical benefits as well.

I am glad that people are wiling to challenge established "rules of baseball" every once in awhile even if it seems crazy.

A couple of years ago I was wondering about piggybacking starters in the Big Leagues. I thought it was probably too crazy for someone to actually attempt... I was wrong.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rockies--pitching-strategy-is-historically-wacky--and-not-working-.html

The system Dan O'Dowd is implementing seems to be 4 starters with 3 little piggies. I was thinking six starters taking turns starting/relieving on a 3-day schedule, pairing lefties with righties. My hypothesis was that you could make pitchers with limited repertoires more "effective" by not allowing the starter to go through the order more than a couple of times. There may be other hypothetical benefits as well.

I am glad that people are wiling to challenge established "rules of baseball" every once in awhile even if it seems crazy.

Piggybacking might work in the AL when you don't have to worry about the pitcher's spot ruining your plan. I also think it could work if you only did it with one or two rotation spots, not the whole rotation.

They had a couple pages on this in The Book. It basically said that your worst 2(or was it 3) pitchers should never hit. You piggy back our 2 worst starters with middle relievers and pinch hit for them when their spot comes up.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

They had a couple pages on this in The Book. It basically said that your worst 2(or was it 3) pitchers should never hit. You piggy back our 2 worst starters with middle relievers and pinch hit for them when their spot comes up.

Not that I disagree with that but the pitcher comes up in the second inning pretty often. On the road that means your starter pitched 1 inning. Does that really make sense?

Not that I disagree with that but the pitcher comes up in the second inning pretty often. On the road that means your starter pitched 1 inning. Does that really make sense?

Yes. You prevent a really bad hitter from ever batting and you prevent a couple not so good pitchers from seeing a lineup through more than once. On the road you start the reliever. In many cases you are going to get at least 2 innings out of each guy.

Starter #1

Starter #2

Starter #4 - Starter #5 - 3rd best reliever

Starter #3

Starter #5 - Starter #4 - 3rd best reliever

I blame Wang.

I would imagine that a system like that would only work without the variables of real life (i.e. injuries, double-headers, etc.). It just seems that creatures of habit would really balk at that. I guess I'll just have to be okay with the classic 5-man rotation.

I would imagine that a system like that would only work without the variables of real life (i.e. injuries, double-headers, etc.). It just seems that creatures of habit would really balk at that. I guess I'll just have to be okay with the classic 5-man rotation.

I hate the "creatures of habit" argument. If you change how you do things that will become their new habit. It isn't like all those things you mentioned are easy to deal with when you have a 5 man rotation. If somebody gets injured you bring somebody up. If there is a double header you bring a guy up. Just like it is handled with a 5 man rotation. I would argue that it would be even easier to replace a guy in that format than with a 5 man rotation because the guy you bring up would only be expected to pitch a couple innings so he could do it between starts. Plus it limits how much exposure a rookie would have to a new team possibly making him more effective.

I blame Wang.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt

Cesar Izturis didn't last long in Washington. Designated for assignment today when Desmond activated. So much for playing for contender.

what did the brewers get for him? cash right?

I thought they got nothing for him

. Washington claimed him off of revocable waivers and Doug let them have him. At least I think that's what I thought.

Archived