Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Blue Jays have released Jamie Moyer after 2 minor league starts. He allowed ten runs in 11 innings. I think it may be time to call it quits Jamie...

No! Jamie Moyer can't quit. He's the only guy on a major sports team actually older than me!!!

So apparently the Nats are thinking of sticking with the innings limit for Strasburg. I was thinking, if a team really wanted to limit the innings of its young star pitcher (ala Strasburg), why not do it in the middle of the season? That way you can save the limited innings towards the back end/potential playoffs where you'd need the innings the most.

The Blue Jays have released Jamie Moyer after 2 minor league starts. He allowed ten runs in 11 innings. I think it may be time to call it quits Jamie...

No! Jamie Moyer can't quit. He's the only guy on a major sports team actually older than me!!!

Seconded. Who will I mock as "Grampa" if all the players are younger than I am?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

So apparently the Nats are thinking of sticking with the innings limit for Strasburg. I was thinking, if a team really wanted to limit the innings of its young star pitcher (ala Strasburg), why not do it in the middle of the season? That way you can save the limited innings towards the back end/potential playoffs where you'd need the innings the most.

That would make more sense to me. Just say Strasburg has a "sore arm" and put him on the DL for about 3 weeks this month. They have a comfortable lead and it's not a huge deal if he misses 3 or 4 starts.

Tim Lincecum currently has the worst ERA of all starters who qualify for the ERA title at 6.42. Any chance the Giants would take an "upgrade" and do a Randy Wolf for Lincecum deal?

Seriously though, what are the odds the Giants keep him in the rotation while they try to compete for a playoff spot?

I'm betting the odds are pretty good they keep him in the rotation. He just has too good of a track record. Never know when he'll snap out of whatever funk he's in.

Heard a good stat today and it reads to how bad it's been for him this year or just how good he's been in the past: he's allowed more earned runs already this year than he has in 4 of his 5 full MLB seasons. That's insane. I like the idea of trying to trade Wolf for Lincecum straight up right now:)

Tim Lincecum currently has the worst ERA of all starters who qualify for the ERA title at 6.42. Any chance the Giants would take an "upgrade" and do a Randy Wolf for Lincecum deal?

Seriously though, what are the odds the Giants keep him in the rotation while they try to compete for a playoff spot?

Considering his FIP and xFIP are both under 4, he's been horribly unlucky to have an ERA that high.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

So this has to do with a Brewer but I didnt want to put it in its own thread. Minnesota's KFAN was talking about the All-Star and discussing reasons why it wasnt as popular today. Some of the insights were pretty interesting like the idea that the All-Star game used to be the only time people from the Midwest got to see West Coast guys play and vice versa.

However Mark Rosen (a sports guy over here) made a comment in passing about the state of the NL OF tonight vs the OF for the NL when he was young. He listed off the guys he saw like Aaron Mays, etc and then listed tonight's NL starts of Bruan, Melky, and Beltran and very matter of factly said tonight's starters were good but none are Hall of Fame guys. Obviously, Braun could get injured but he is most definitely on pace to be a Hall of Fame guy isnt he?

He listed off the guys he saw like Aaron Mays, etc and then listed tonight's NL starts of Bruan, Melky, and Beltran and very matter of factly said tonight's starters were good but none are Hall of Fame guys. Obviously, Braun could get injured but he is most definitely on pace to be a Hall of Fame guy isnt he?

It is still extremely early in his career, but yes Braun is on pace for a HOF career and definitely has HOF talent.

Whether Braun becomes as great as Aaron or Mays, that would be a stretch. Braun would need about 6 or 7 40-50 HR seasons in the next 9 seasons to be close. It is possible but not likely.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

So this has to do with a Brewer but I didnt want to put it in its own thread. Minnesota's KFAN was talking about the All-Star and discussing reasons why it wasnt as popular today. Some of the insights were pretty interesting like the idea that the All-Star game used to be the only time people from the Midwest got to see West Coast guys play and vice versa.

However Mark Rosen (a sports guy over here) made a comment in passing about the state of the NL OF tonight vs the OF for the NL when he was young. He listed off the guys he saw like Aaron Mays, etc and then listed tonight's NL starts of Bruan, Melky, and Beltran and very matter of factly said tonight's starters were good but none are Hall of Fame guys. Obviously, Braun could get injured but he is most definitely on pace to be a Hall of Fame guy isnt he?

Funny, yes, the OF talent right now is a bit down, but look how loaded 1B is in MLB right now. How loaded 3B is. How loaded C is.

Who was the best 1B of the 50's? 60's? Killebrew? Cepeda? McCovey? Great, yes, but do any of those 3 crack the top 5 in MLB right now?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Personally, I quit caring about the ASG at about the same point in time that a lot of the players did (some point in the early/mid '90's). I bet that I haven't watched a full ASG since the 80's, and don't plan to watch more than a little of it tonight.

I did catch some of the HR derby last night though and wish I would have Tivoed it, and kept it around to self treat insomnia. What a snooze. Not only was the coverage during the event annoying, the predictable 'controversy' created after the event (Cano) is a non story as far as I'm concerned, created by the media to attempt to draw interest to the game.

As for Rosen's comments, of course the game has been watered down. There's almost twice as many teams (and players) as there was way back when he was a kid. I bet that he didn't complain when Bob Allison or Tony Oliva started. I

think that there is something to the over saturation argument. There is 24/7 coverage of baseball these days. It's not a big deal to see anyone play on TV anymore. Heck, when I was a kid, the Saturday Game of the Week was must see TV. Back then, you only followed guys through the Sporting News, or the blurb that you might get in the local paper. You might get to see some guys play once or twice a year tops outside of the ASG and the post season. Cable and later the Internet changed all of that.

He likely meant it as a general observation, not necessarily specifically saying Braun isn't on track for a HOF career.

Nope he said the three were nice players but not hall of fame type players.

Well then he's of below average intelligence.

Yea Rosen is awful. But I think being awful at discussing sports is a prerequisite for being on Minnesota sports talk radio. Paul Allen is a perfect example of that.

I actually think you could make a compelling argument for Beltran being a HoF candidate as well with strong CF defense (years ago, but still relevant) factored in as well. But yeah, Braun's well on his way to Cooperstown; really only injuries will keep him out imo.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived