Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

From what I can tell, Sutton wasn't fired and he is off for an undisclosed personal reason. The D'backs denied the rumor that he was in trouble for criticizing personnel moves. The story does remain a little suspicious though, there could have been some other sort of internal conflict, it doesn't appear that it is a health or family issue.

There would be a huge backlash from fans if Sutton was fired for criticizing the team, but then again we all remember what happened to Ulice Payne when he became too critical of ownership...

Reached on his cellphone late Friday afternoon, Sutton disputed any notion that he had been suspended and called the entire matter "a personal situation."

"I'm fine," he said. "I've got some personal stuff going on in my life that I need to get straightened out. I've asked the club to respect my privacy and I ask you do as well, if possible."

Sources close to the club indicated that Sutton, now in his sixth season as the Diamondbacks' television play-by-play man, could be away from the team indefinitely.

Sutton, however, again countered that there hasn't been any suspension and said he hopes to be back at Chase Field to call tonight's 7:10 broadcast against the Cubs.

"I'm hoping that's the case, yes," he said.

Sutton did not want to get into details, but he said his situation is not a legal issue and didn't involve the police in any way.

Team sources also confirmed Sutton isn't facing any legal trouble. Sources also confirmed Sutton is still being paid while he is absent from the TV booth.

Source

From what I can tell, Sutton wasn't fired and he is off for an undisclosed personal reason. The D'backs denied the rumor that he was in trouble for criticizing personnel moves. The story does remain a little suspicious though, there could have been some other sort of internal conflict, it doesn't appear that it is a health or family issue.

The thing that makes it suspicious is Sutton is still scheduled to do the Saturday game for FOX. So if he's able to fly to Milwaukee for that game, why isn't he able to do the other ones?

Looks like a suspension now applies to Daron Sutton: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8099919/arizona-diamondbacks-suspend-broadcaster-darron-sutton?utm_medium=twitter

The Arizona Diamondbacks have suspended broadcaster Daron Sutton for "insubordination'' after determining that he had failed to comply with a number of management directives over the years, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

Sutton is in his sixth season as the Diamondbacks' TV play-by-play man. The Diamondbacks pulled him from the booth for Friday's game against the Chicago Cubs at Chase Field, and radio play-by-play man Greg Schulte has since filled his spot alongside color man Mark Grace.

The Tucson Citizen first reported that Sutton had been suspended, but the club has publicly declined to confirm it. On Friday, team spokesman Josh Rawitch told reporters, "We've made a change in the broadcast-talent lineup. Daron will be taking some time off."

Sutton, who did not immediately respond to a phone call and a text message from ESPN.com, told the Arizona Republic on Friday that he has not been suspended by the Diamondbacks. He referred to the matter as a "personal situation.''

"I'm fine,'' he told the paper. "I've got some personal stuff going on in my life that I need to get straightened out.''

A person familiar with the situation said that Sutton had recently been involved in a dispute with the Diamondbacks over the team's new on-air dress code. But another source said that Sutton's suspension was the culmination of a series of events rather than a single incident.

Sutton, 42, is the son of Hall of Fame pitcher Don Sutton. He spent five years as the Milwaukee Brewers' play-by-play man before coming to Arizona in 2007.

I wonder what the new on-air dress code entails. No more buckethead t-shirts? Anyway, though I'm not super enamored with Daron, I hope he gets his stuff straightened out.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Kudos to Dusty Baker for apologizing to the Brewers for Chapman's somersaults after Wednesday's win. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reds-dusty-gets-crusty-chapmans-045015935--mlb.html So much better when two teams competing handle these things without bean ball wars. St Louis could take a few lessons of what being classy really means.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Kudos to Dusty Baker for apologizing to the Brewers for Chapman's somersaults after Wednesday's win. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reds-dusty-gets-crusty-chapmans-045015935--mlb.html So much better when two teams competing handle these things without bean ball wars. St Louis could take a few lessons of what being classy really means.

Maybe if the Brewers apologized St. Louis wouldn't have retaliated.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If there are two teams qualifying for the "wild card" one game playoff, why cant MLB update their wildcard standings to show TWO teams in the lead for the wild card, and the rest X games behind the TWO teams. SO annoying!

Random stat I chuckled at today: The Royals are 34-39 as of today, which is their best record on this date (June 28) since 2003.

Which is significant evidence that simply having Greinke at the top of your rotation does not ensure success.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Random stat I chuckled at today: The Royals are 34-39 as of today, which is their best record on this date (June 28) since 2003.

Which is significant evidence that simply having Greinke at the top of your rotation does not ensure success.

If the only legitimate Major Leaguer on your team is Greinke, then yes this is true.

If the only legitimate Major Leaguer on your team is Greinke, then yes this is true.

No kidding, Brewers fans should remember the years of Ben Sheets and rotation fodder for the other 4 spots.

Even when watching games on MLB.tv, I really like it when they're being played at nice ballparks. I'm watching LAA vs. TOR right now and the Rogers Centre isn't a great place to watch a game on TV or in real life.

I wist the ATL-WSH game weren't blacked out tonight because I'm curious to see how many Braves fans make it out to the game. It's about 105'F here and about the same in Atlanta. Blech.

Yeah, the weather report for the next few days here in Atlanta is insane. High of 105 tomorrow, 103 Sunday. It's finally supposed to get into the 80's in a week. My lawn and every other bit of plant life at my house is dead.

The Pirates have a chance to be in first place today. The Pirates.

It's easy to forget since they finished like 20 games out, but from what I remember, the Pirates had at least a share of first in mid to late July last year. I don't think that they have the horses to compete down the stretch.

Big time choke by Jay Bruce just cost the Reds the game. Anyone that has criticized Hart's RF defense in the past need to check this one out on the highlight reels.

Yeah, that was horrendous.

Archived