Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MLB Network tonight said that Dickey is the first person in major league history to throw back to back complete games one hitters without an earned run, and ten or more strikeouts. Wow!
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Also noteworthy, Evan Longoria pulled himself out of a rehab game yesterday, after feeling tightness in the hamstring that was surgically repaired. Rehab activities have been "halted indefinitely" according to MLB Network.

That's too bad. He's one of my favorite MLB players (plus he's my fantasy team's starting third baseman). Hope he gets well soon.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

The Rockies are going to a four man rotation with each starter on a 75 pitch count. Complain all you want about Roenicke, but at least we don't have Jim Tracy as a manager.

Link

That sounds goofy but I imagine it might work if a team has a very good 1-4 and then a significantly worse #5 option (like, Mike Burns bad) with a very good, deep bullpen. That is, so long as the 4-man 75 pitch count rotation isn't any more taxing than the 5-man, 100-110 pitch count rotation. I mean, if you had Greinke-Dickey-Verlander-Cain as your 1-4 and your #5 was a replacement level guy it would probably work as long as your bullpen happened to have lots of good guys that could pitch a ton of innings. If Roenicke tried that with this team though, I would revolt.

Call me crazy but I like it. Try something different. If no one ever did, we'd never have new ideas/concepts.

Your bullpen shakes up to have 5- 5(if starter doesn't make it thru 5),6&7 inning pitchers, 2-setup, 1-closer= 8 RP

It's doable with a good pen. If you have starters like a Narveson, Estrada, Wolf, heck even Gallardo after so many innings/pitches, it makes sense.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It just seems like a bad idea to gauranty that no starter will ever go past 6 innings. Needing 3-4 innings out of your bullpen every night just sounds like a bad idea. You can't use your best 3 relievers every night so you'll be using a lot of long relief guys who are normally the weakest arms on the team.

Hypothetical but what if you have two guys like Narvy and Estrada. Narvy starts and gives you his 4-5 good innings, Estrada gives you his 3-4 and you have yourself quite a tandom. Or say you pitch Gallardo 5-6 innings and let Fiers toss 3-4. There's another tandom.

It's doable. Is it out of the ordinary? Sure. But it could work. Most pitchers avg. against raises emensly the third time thru the order so this could cut that out. Just trying to see the other side of it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Hypothetical but what if you have two guys like Narvy and Estrada. Narvy starts and gives you his 4-5 good innings, Estrada gives you his 3-4 and you have yourself quite a tandom. Or say you pitch Gallardo 5-6 innings and let Fiers toss 3-4. There's another tandom.

It's doable. Is it out of the ordinary? Sure. But it could work. Most pitchers avg. against raises emensly the third time thru the order so this could cut that out. Just trying to see the other side of it.

I think that could work in the AL but it would be tough to do in the NL with the pitcher spot coming up in crucial situations late in the game.

Saw an interesting 'factoid' type thing this morning. The Detroit Tigers have not had one player suit up for them as an active player that would go on to the HOF since Al Kaline played his last game back in 1974. What are the odds of that?

Saw an interesting 'factoid' type thing this morning. The Detroit Tigers have not had one player suit up for them as an active player that would go on to the HOF since Al Kaline played his last game back in 1974. What are the odds of that?

Pretty crazy, although many think that Alan Trammel should be in....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Wil Nieves hit a home run?!?!?!? Heard him interviewed on the Rockies pre-game show the other night. His excuse for sucking with the Brewers was only getting a few at-bats a week. Right Wil You go on and believe that. Good grief.

Archived