Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be terrible logic but...

Adam Dunn has never finished in the top 20 in MVP voting.

Adam Dunn has been an All Star 1 time in his career.

Adam Dunn was one of the worst outfielders ever defensively. And he is terrible at 1st base.

Adam Dunn's highest average in a season was .267.

This is what the writers will look at, not a chance he gets in IMO.

I think you guys are pointing out very valid reasons (valid in the sense of how the sportswriters will view it) as to why it'll be a big challenge to make it to the HOF for Dunn.

Because of that, he'll probably need 600 HR's to have a shot. Maybe 575+. Unless he is part of a World Series Championship and factors heavily in that Series and finishes with 500+ HR's

There are players in the HOF with horrible career BA's and 500+ HR's, such as Harmon Killebrew. But Killebrew was an All-Star many times and played in the postseason and played better D than the Big Donkey....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

To me, Adam Dunn is basically a modern day Dave Kingman with a much better walk rate. I don't see him getting much support for the HOF, just as Kingman didn't even though he hit over 400 homers when that actually meant something. He's been a very good player, but I don't think that he will get serious consideration now that the all-time homer list has been watered down big time. I don't think that the writers would vote in a modern player with a .240ish career batting average either.

This tweet is one of many reasons why I expect to be a Jim Powell fan for life. He was talking about using a different color ink in his scorebook (either changing from black to blue or blue to black):

I would've but blood is Cardinal red. MT @GobsNGobs @Jim_Powell We're at the stage where I'd expect it to be your own blood. Come on Jim.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Reading up on Warren Spahn today. Things that I found interesting:

- Spahn's amazing baseball career was shortened by a three-year military career. He fought in the Battle of the Buldge and won a purple heart.

- Spahn led the NL in Ks for 4 straight seasons, 1949-52. His totals (151, 191, 164, 183) equate to K/9 rates of 4.5, 5.9, 4.8, 5.7. For reference, the current Brewers starters: Gallardo (8.2), Estrada (8.5), Grienke (9.5), Marcum (8.0), and Randy Wolf (4.9). Axford comes in at 15.4.

- Spahn would smoke between innings

- Spahn was 42 at the time of the famous 15+ inning shutout dual with Juan Marichal, which Willie Mays ended with a walkoff in the bottom of the 16th on Spahn's 201st pitch

Game has changed a little, eh?

Oakland's problem (among others) is that Beane's secret system isn't a secret anymore, so it's not so easy to find the guys he wants on the cheap.

Right, but when their team OBP is roughly the same as Rickie Weeks is carrying for 2012- and their team OBP is lower than all N.L. teams (with the pitcher hitting) except for Pittsburgh, there is a major problem. The fact that he just gave Crisp (.422 OPS) a two year/$14 million deal should be grounds for dismissal alone.

Oakland's problem (among others) is that Beane's secret system isn't a secret anymore, so it's not so easy to find the guys he wants on the cheap.

Right, but when their team OBP is roughly the same as Rickie Weeks is carrying for 2012- and their team OBP is lower than all N.L. teams (with the pitcher hitting) except for Pittsburgh, there is a major problem. The fact that he just gave Crisp (.422 OPS) a two year/$14 million deal should be grounds for dismissal alone.

At least Manny is coming soon.

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but Nyjer Morgan still has 0 RBI this year.

23 PA's with RISP. 3 BB, 2 HBP, only 3 K's. So, he is 0 for 15 on balls put in play. That is crazy.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Hawk Harrelson went nuts today after a White Sox pitcher got ejected.

http://www.bflo360.com/2012/05/watch-hawk-harrelson-lose-his-mind.html

He is honest to god going to have a heart attack in the booth before he retires. His last moments on Earth are going to be ripping Joe West and he's just going to keel over.

While it's fun to laugh at the intensity of his outburst (and others he's had), I do worry about a man his age getting that upset. It doesn't seem to me to be healthy physically nor is it a sign that he's quite in control.

Yes it's irritating when umpires don't consistently apply the same rules regarding throwing at hitters, but geesh, it's not something all that unusual nor worthy of that intensity of reaction.

Hawk Harrelson went nuts today after a White Sox pitcher got ejected.

http://www.bflo360.com/2012/05/watch-hawk-harrelson-lose-his-mind.html

He is honest to god going to have a heart attack in the booth before he retires. His last moments on Earth are going to be ripping Joe West and he's just going to keel over.

While it's fun to laugh at the intensity of his outburst (and others he's had), I do worry about a man his age getting that upset. It doesn't seem to me to be healthy physically nor is it a sign that he's quite in control.

Yes it's irritating when umpires don't consistently apply the same rules regarding throwing at hitters, but geesh, it's not something all that unusual nor worthy of that intensity of reaction.

There is no such thing as an over reaction to anything Joe West does. He's a disgrace to all pro sports officials.

Though I would have never believed it 20 years ago, I've actually become a fan of the Hawk. Maybe it has something to do with the switch to the N.L. or something. As for his outburst, I have no problem with it. A lot of these umps think they are bigger than the game.

Archived