Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard them talking about Mark Ellis' injury during the game and it peaked my interest to look into it a bit farther. I had no idea it was nearly as bad as it apparently was. If he didn't have surgery within six or seven hours of when he did, he may have had to have his leg amputated! That's crazy when they thought he had sprained his knee and it could have turned that ugly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dodgers-lose-ellis-least-six-082036613--mlb.html;_ylt=AkM2eIFrhLkqconQNz9tVEuFCLcF

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Heard them talking about Mark Ellis' injury during the game and it peaked my interest to look into it a bit farther. I had no idea it was nearly as bad as it apparently was. If he didn't have surgery within six or seven hours of when he did, he may have had to have his leg amputated! That's crazy when they thought he had sprained his knee and it could have turned that ugly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dodgers-lose-ellis-least-six-082036613--mlb.html;_ylt=AkM2eIFrhLkqconQNz9tVEuFCLcF

Yeah, this is why you take players out of the game to have things checked out. After the injury, he went back out and played, just like Gamel. When are teams going to realize that the end of the current game isn't as important as potentially destroying a player's career, and there are a lot of things a trainer can't figure out during an on-the-field exam?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We know how poorly ARamhas started this year, but he's stll 120 OPS points higher than casey mcgehee. when will the Pirates cut bait?

He also has an OPS higher than Brett Lawrie's. Our former SS - Hardy (.756), Yuni (.753) and Escobar (.753) - have higher OPS that the 3 3B that are connected to the Brewers - ARam (.692), Lawrie (.685) and Casey (.530)

I'll chip in $100.

Only need another 30 million people to do that, and we'll have enough!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Yeah, this is why you take players out of the game to have things checked out. After the injury, he went back out and played, just like Gamel. When are teams going to realize that the end of the current game isn't as important as potentially destroying a player's career, and there are a lot of things a trainer can't figure out during an on-the-field exam?

So what do you do, take out every single player who gets shaken up on the field?

Players need to be responsible for their own well being in large part as well. If a player twists a knee, the trainer comes back out and the player says it's fine, I think you're putting too much on the trainer to force him out of the game.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'll chip in $100.

Only need another 30 million people to do that, and we'll have enough!

Heck, if the Dodgers went for 2.2 without getting full parking rights, you might need 40 million people to do that.

God would I love to see a Carl Pohlad type guy go out and buy the Yankees. Do what he did to the Twins. Die with his billions of dollars without trying to build a winner.

Can you imagine if Mark Attanasio had Pohlad type money? We'd have Greinke re-signed, Prince at 1st and CC in our starting rotation!

Big difference between "shaken up" and having your knee twist in a weird direction. The teams put huge investments into the players, so I think it is absolutely the trainers' job to pull players if there's a chance of significant injury. The risk scenario is pulling a non-injured player and losing one game vs not pulling an injured player and (as in Ellis' case) having the player lose his leg. Not much of a decision in my mind.

So what do you do, take out every single player who gets shaken up on the field?

Players need to be responsible for their own well being in large part as well. If a player twists a knee, the trainer comes back out and the player says it's fine, I think you're putting too much on the trainer to force him out of the game.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Big difference between "shaken up" and having your knee twist in a weird direction. The teams put huge investments into the players, so I think it is absolutely the trainers' job to pull players if there's a chance of significant injury. The risk scenario is pulling a non-injured player and losing one game vs not pulling an injured player and (as in Ellis' case) having the player lose his leg. Not much of a decision in my mind.

You're using hindsight to justify your argument. What I'm saying is professional athletes often twist a knee or ankle and it might look bad and far more often than not, they're fine. So because you've got a couple examples when the players themselves weren't honest, you want to do what? I'm not sure here. Force the player out of the game?

And bringing up Ellis. Please list the last time something like that came close to happening in baseball? Not tell me how many times the trainers come out every day in baseball?

So no, there isn't a "big difference," between being shaken up and having your knee twisted(in an awkward direction, though that's redundant...if it twists anyway it's awkward).

And citing how much these teams have invested into these players is irrelevant....

I think this is alarmist and knee jerk.

Are you upset that Marcum hasn't been taken out of a couple of starts this year when he was sore? That Braun stayed in the game when he had an Achilles problem initially?

If the player says he's fine, and can move around, who's the trainer to say, "no, you can't play?"

And again...using Mark Ellis as an example is kinda weak IMO. That's a extraordinarily rare situation from a sprained knee. It's like saying you shouldn't practice in weather above 80 degrees because Korey Stringer died during a practice from heat exhaustion?

I guess my problem is you have no criteria other than, "the trainers should take these guys out of the game." And I ask again, based on what? If they can't detect anything on the field and the player says he's fine...why are we to put this all on the trainers lap?

The Big Donkey (Adam Dunn) went yard again tonight. 15 HR's on the season. He's on pace for 53 this season... he now has 379 career HR's and a career .374 OBP ... He is 32 years old. Do you think Dunn will make the Hall of Fame if he hits 500 HR's? Or will he need to hit 600 to get in?

Other than last season, he has pretty much averaged 40 HR's a season for 7-8 straight years. I could see him hitting another 200 HR's over the next 5-6 seasons and being around 570 for his career at age 37 or 38... what do you think?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The Big Donkey (Adam Dunn) went yard again tonight. 15 HR's on the season. He's on pace for 53 this season... he now has 379 career HR's and a career .374 OBP ... He is 32 years old. Do you think Dunn will make the Hall of Fame if he hits 500 HR's? Or will he need to hit 600 to get in?

Other than last season, he has pretty much averaged 40 HR's a season for 7-8 straight years. I could see him hitting another 200 HR's over the next 5-6 seasons and being around 570 for his career at age 37 or 38... what do you think?

If he hits 500 he should definitely be in. He's one of my favorite players ever, though, so I am undoubtedly biased.

Dunn might just be the first 500 HR guy who you can argue should not get in based on his on-field record. I really like him, but I view him as a borderline HOF'er if he finishes in the 500-525 HR range. I tend not to hold his fielding against him, as it's really not his fault Cincy and Washington kept running him in the outfield when he should have been a 1B or DH. He hit a ton of homers, but his career batting line of .243/.374/.505 certainly doesn't jump off the page for a 1B/DH.

I guess it comes down to, what else does he do? Does he just hit homeruns? Has he ever led a team on a deep postseason run? MVP votes, etc?

Not a chance imo.

I don't care about those things, especially MVP votes. I'm not saying he deserves/doesn't deserve to be in the HOF, I just don't really care about team postseason runs or old fogey sportswriters when it comes to evaluating a player.

I don't care about those things, especially MVP votes. I'm not saying he deserves/doesn't deserve to be in the HOF, I just don't really care about team postseason runs or old fogey sportswriters when it comes to evaluating a player.

Well this discussion is about whether or not he will make the HOF, and old fogeys vote on that, and they do care about that stuff.

Archived