Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News And Discussion 2012

Jim Leyland said he thinks Hamels should have got at least a 15-game suspension, and I agree. That would be enough to make pitchers think twice about intentionally hitting a batter, and it could knock a playoff team out of the playoffs, so managers like LaRussa would think twice about telling pitchers to do it.

No, that would only make them think twice about admitting to doing it on purpose.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Hamilton with 4 HR's tonight, now with 14 on the season

He turns 31 years old in a couple of weeks. Looks like he is just now hitting his peak

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Hamilton is a huge risk. I'm intrigued as to what the rest of his career will be like. At some point he'll have a decline like everyone else. Will it be sooner rather than later because of the damage done by drugs and injuries? Or will it be later because he missed 3 years in his 20's and thus missed out on the wear and tear that the grind of a full season takes?
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Josh Hamilton is a really good center fielder, but if I'm the Rangers, I sign him, and make him the full time designated hitter. He gets hurt because he plays all out. He runs into the wall far too often. In my opinion, you do everything you can to keep his freakish bat in the lineup every day.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

You're right, but if I had Hamilton on my team, and I was the Rangers owner, I would pay whatever it took to keep Josh in the lineup 162 games a year.

Hamilton is a freakish hitter unlike any I have seen. Give me a healthy Hamilton over Pujols in his prime, Kemp, Braun, Miguel Cabrera, Joey Votto...Josh Hamilton is a guy if he's healthy an entire season (in that Ranger lineup), he could hit 60 HR and drive in 150 runs. He's that good.

In his last 6 at bats, he's got a double, and 5 2-run home runs. He's got 14 home runs in 29 games.

It's a complete pipe dream, but if he were to hit free agency, and the Brewers landed him...well, the numbers he and Braun could put up at Miller Park would be downright laughable. No pitcher would want to come to Milwaukee.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's hard to figure out Hamilton. The guy plays hard - you have to admire that. But he's gotten a lot of dings in his life. He'll be 32 when he hits free agency - not ideal for a guy with injury history. Not to mention the drug/alcohol issues. But he's so friggin' good. You just like watching him play. I wonder if a guy like that would be happy - at least now - as a DH. He doesn't seem like the type who would sit around waiting to swing the bat.

Someone will give him a monster contract (assuming he avoids serious injury this year). $25 million a year doesn't seem out of the question if he has a huge year and stays (reasonably) healthy. I guess the years will be critical. And no doubt any team will build in some safeguards with regards to the past alcohol and drug problems. Hamilton has gone off the wagon twice in the last few years. Any team should be wary.

You're right, but if I had Hamilton on my team, and I was the Rangers owner, I would pay whatever it took to keep Josh in the lineup 162 games a year.

Hamilton is a freakish hitter unlike any I have seen. Give me a healthy Hamilton over Pujols in his prime, Kemp, Braun, Miguel Cabrera, Joey Votto...Josh Hamilton is a guy if he's healthy an entire season (in that Ranger lineup), he could hit 60 HR and drive in 150 runs. He's that good.

That's the problem - he's never healthy. You'd be paying for 162 games, but only getting 117 (his career average). Great player? Yes. Guy you want to pay $25MM a year for? No.

There is a very slight, if improbable, chance that the Brewers could land Josh Hamilton in free agency if for no other reason than that Hamilton is very close to Johnny Narron

This is not meant to mean I want Ishikawa to play more but it is nice to see a first baseman who can not only be counted on to make routine plays but the occasional great play. It is kind of nice not to hold my breath every time a ball in put in play on the infield.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how good of a career Aroldis Chapman is going to have. Small sample but the guy has been practically unhittable this year. What do you think he'll eventually evolve into? Elite Closer? All-Star Starter? Often injured bust? All-Time Great? Average Starting Pitcher?

There is a very slight, if improbable, chance that the Brewers could land Josh Hamilton in free agency if for no other reason than that Hamilton is very close to Johnny Narron

Oh man, Id love to have a Weeks, Braun, Hamilton, Aramis, Hart 2-6.

Question. What Brett Lawrie is closer to the one we will see over his career. Both small samples but here are his numbers from his initial call-up and so far this year

Last year - 150 AB. .293 BA, .373 OBP, .580 Slug, .953 OPS. 9 HR, 16 BB, 7 SB

This year - 120 AB. .275 BA, .323 OBP, .400 Slug, .723 OPS. 3 HR, 7 BB, 3 SB

This year he has been solid but not spectacular as a hitter. His fielding stats have dropped a little this year as well. Know both sample sizes are small and his numbers are not bad this year, but I am wondering where people think he is more likely to wind up as a pro. He hovered a little below an .800 OPS his first couple years in the minors but his power numbers exploded last year. Most thought he was just becoming the power bat he was bound to be since he was so young. Now his power has dropped again. He is still very young - just 22, but i just wanted to get people's thoughts

I always saw him as more of a .800 - .900 OPS kind of guy which is really good but more Corey Hart than Ryan Braun. I still think that is where he ends up.

yeah I think Lawrie will end up more of a Corey Hart type than a Ryan Braun type. Pitchers have adjusted to Lawrie and Lawrie hasn't adjusted back as fast as elite hitters like Braun, Miguel Cabrera or Josh Hamilton do. We'll see how this season progresses.

Lawrie also has a playing style that could lead to injuries too

So I'm watching MLB network and they are talking about the Twins getting off to such a bad start and saying that looking at the roster it shocks them that this team isn't winning a lot of games. The Twins roster looks pathetic, that could easily be a legit 100 loss team. What are they even talking about~.

So I'm watching MLB network and they are talking about the Twins getting off to such a bad start and saying that looking at the roster it shocks them that this team isn't winning a lot of games. The Twins roster looks pathetic, that could easily be a legit 100 loss team. What are they even talking about~.

That team is horrible. I debated with someone on this board last year that I thought the Twins were headed for a serious decline (one of the few takes I have ever gotten right). They dont have a lot of talent in the majors and their minor league system is not good. Just take a look at their current roster and I dont see how people think they should win games

Pitching - Their number 1 is Pavano. He would be the 4 or 5 on the Brewers. Their numbers 2-5 wouldn't pitch on most teams barring injuries. Marquis is just an innings-eater. Blackburn has never had an ERA under 4 and the last three years has been pretty brutal. Hendricks should be in AAA. Liriano is a mess.

Their bullpen isnt good either. Capps has to be one of the worst closers in the game and the rest of the guys look like Veras types at best. Perkins is decent but even his numbers last year look like an aberration.

Hitting - Willingham has been really good for them. No one expected Morneau to stay healthy this year and he is on the DL. Mauer had one year of power and not is looking like a 20 plus million dollar slap hitter (a good slap hitter but not an MVP). Span is solid. Valencia is not very good and no one likes him. Parmalee should be in AAA. The middle infield is ok. Doumit is ok.

So in wrap up. Horrible pitching plus an okay at best lineup. I wonder why this team is 8-22. Their run differential through 30 games is -63. The next highest is -30. They are a full run a game worse than any other team!

That team is horrible. I debated with someone on this board last year that I thought the Twins were headed for a serious decline (one of the few takes I have ever gotten right). They dont have a lot of talent in the majors and their minor league system is not good. Just take a look at their current roster and I dont see how people think they should win games

Pitching - Their number 1 is Pavano. He would be the 4 or 5 on the Brewers. Their numbers 2-5 wouldn't pitch on most teams barring injuries. Marquis is just an innings-eater. Blackburn has never had an ERA under 4 and the last three years has been pretty brutal. Hendricks should be in AAA. Liriano is a mess.

Their bullpen isnt good either. Capps has to be one of the worst closers in the game and the rest of the guys look like Veras types at best. Perkins is decent but even his numbers last year look like an aberration.

Hitting - Willingham has been really good for them. No one expected Morneau to stay healthy this year and he is on the DL. Mauer had one year of power and not is looking like a 20 plus million dollar slap hitter (a good slap hitter but not an MVP). Span is solid. Valencia is not very good and no one likes him. Parmalee should be in AAA. The middle infield is ok. Doumit is ok.

So in wrap up. Horrible pitching plus an okay at best lineup. I wonder why this team is 8-22. Their run differential through 30 games is -63. The next highest is -30. They are a full run a game worse than any other team!

So I'm guessing it was Harold Reynolds and Mitch Williams who said it shocks them that the Twins aren't winning. I like MLB Network a lot more than ESPN, but those two will just say some odd things at times. Kind of like they have to defend something against reality.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Twins are horrible. Ironically, probably the one of the few good moves that former GM Smith made was stealing Hardy from the Brewers. He later cancelled that out by trading Hardy to Baltimore for garbage to make room for the free agent Japanese SS who hit about a buck ninety or something last year. This doesn't mention the fact that they are paying a singles hitter about 25 million per for the foreseeable future.

This doesn't mention the fact that they are paying a singles hitter about 25 million per for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, I think that contract will end up going down as one of the worst, most franchise crippling contracts in MLB history. It makes Molina's $15mil/yr. look like a bargain.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The Twins are horrible. Ironically, probably the one of the few good moves that former GM Smith made was stealing Hardy from the Brewers. He later cancelled that out by trading Hardy to Baltimore for garbage to make room for the free agent Japanese SS who hit about a buck ninety or something last year. This doesn't mention the fact that they are paying a singles hitter about 25 million per for the foreseeable future.

Woah, let's at least be factual. He hit a blistering .226 with a whopping 0 HR's and 5 2B's in just 240 PA's. Dude raked! Oh, and he also graded out very poorly defensively. Oh, and he's currently hitting .203 in AAA right now.

Archived