Brewer Fanatic

RIP Don Mincher

After his All Star Season, the Pilots traded Mincher and Ron Clark to Oakland for Mike Hershberger, Lew Krausse, Phil Roof and Ken Sanders.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I remember Mincher. He was powerful lefty swinging 1B who was starter on Twins 1965 AL Champs. He was never really a star, but had a solid career at a time when pitching dominated. The deal with Oakland ended up okay. Krausse wasn't bad for 2 seasons, then was part of the big deal with Boston that netted Boomer Scott and Jim Lonborg among others. Sanders of course was a solid closer for 3 seasons, then was part of deal along with Lonborg with Philly that got Don Money, and Billy Champion.

Those were crazy days with Frank (Trader) Lane as GM. Multiple player deals were common and frequent.

I had forgotten about Mincher until several years ago, when living in Jacksonville, FL, I went to the Southern League All Star Game, and saw that he was the president of the league, and quite an important figure in baseball in the south.

Hitter stats from the 1960s were so muted-- it's deceiving to look at what seem like pedestrian numbers now, were actually quite good.

He was a good player, and seemingly a fine man.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The guy had 200 HR and a .798 OPS in a tough hitters era. Two all-star appearances. Not too bad of a career.

The only big question about his career is why did the Pilots let him run 21 times in 1969. He was 31, and never had more than 3 SB in year. Predictably, he was caught more than he was successful. 10 stolen bases to 11 caught stealing.

The only big question about his career is why did the Pilots let him run 21 times in 1969. He was 31, and never had more than 3 SB in year. Predictably, he was caught more than he was successful. 10 stolen bases to 11 caught stealing.

The manager, Joe Schultz, was probably pounding the Budweiser (Ball Four reference). Without looking, from what I remember, Tommy Harper stole a ton of bases that year- and I'm not sure whether he was known as a big time speedster prior to that (though he was after), so they probably ran a lot, and played small ball.

Archived