Brewer Fanatic

PIT signs CF McCutchen to 6-yr./$51.5M deal

TooLiveBrew

Link

McCutchen's new contract will pay him at least $51.5 million through the 2017 season, with a chance to earn $64.75 million should the Pirates exercise a club option for the 2018 season.

I'm not sure if he was a super-two guy or not, but if not he would've entered his first arbitration season in 2013. So the Pirates get at least two seasons of FA in exchange for McCutchen's financial security.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Seems pretty good for both sides. Not sure I would have agreed to a club option if I was MCutchen though.

$13.25M option would be a good enough payday for him if picked up and likely there's a buyout. Agreeing to the option year probably got him a little more in the earlier years. Option years aren't added in a vacuum.

I love deals like this. The player gets security and a small market team gets to hold onto one of its stars. The Pirates have some good, young talent. If they can develop this talent and lock them up, they could turn into a winning franchise.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think the Pirates have been moving in the right direction ever since they hired Huntington as GM. Imo they're definitely going to be a serious contender in the division before long.

I think the Pirates have been moving in the right direction ever since they hired Huntington as GM. Imo they're definitely going to be a serious contender in the division before long.

They definitely have. It's easy to forget they were in first place in July last year, before their wheels came off. They were then 16 games back when the Brewers finished their series in Pittsburgh just 6 weeks later.

Why must these teams get good GMs, can't they just keep being incompetent? At least we'll still have the Astros to beat up on... oh wait.... we won't.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think McCutchen is great. He's only 25. It's good for Pittsburgh to lock up a guy who is something special, especially during his prime years.

I remember in the 2005 draft I would have been happy with him instead of Braun - my top pick was Ryan Zimmerman. I guess any of them would have been fine to have.

I really thought McCutchen was going to have a monster year in 2011 after he started out so good. I think he had around a .900 OPS as the all-star break - then struggled in the second half.

Good deal for Pittsburgh. I think they locked up a guy who is going to be great.

Skin color aside, he really reminds me of Weeks as a hitter. A little less raw power, but similarly quiet yet explosive swings imo.

I think he had around a .900 OPS as the all-star break - then struggled in the second half.

And, as you hinted, any RH hitter who puts up the kind of numbers he has with PNC Park as his home looks pretty dang legit.

Archived