Brewer Fanatic

Hart out with meniscus issue (Needs surgery; out 3-4 weeks); Weeks scratched too

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's at all telling, Roenicke started Gomez in CF and Morgan in RF (against a lefty) for today's game. Aoki subbed in for Braun later in the game.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Agreed. Who hits 5th now to start the season?

I would go with Aoki/Morgan at the top and hit Weeks 5th. But knowing Roenicke, Weeks will stay at leadoff and I wouldn't be surprised if he did something stupid like put Gonzalez 5th, because Gamel can't hit higher than 6th and Lucroy is a catcher so he has to hit 8th. That would leave Aoki/Gonzalez for the 5th spot.

edit: As much as I love watching Gomez play, he really shouldn't be starting against righties, but I could easily see Roenicke playing him and Morgan until Hart comes back. I think Conrad probably makes the team now (with Green going back to AAA) to back up all infield positions.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Another problem here is that now Gamel has no backup to start the season. He can play everyday, but I'm sure they'll want someone around just in case. Probably helps Taylor Green out a little, given the fact that he's been working at 1st some. Maybe they won't even bother keeping a 5th OF for the few weeks Hart will be out at the start of the season. My guess is Roenicke goes with Gomez and Morgan in the starting lineup in the 1 and 2 spots, and hits Weeks 5th until Hart returns.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'd rather just move everyone up a spot and put Gomez in the 8th spot if the plan is to start Morgan in RF.

I would too, but I have a feeling Roenicke won't do that. Hopefully he will though. I'd probably just leave the top 4 as they planned, and the move the bottom of the order all up 1 as you said and have Gomez hit at the bottom. Weeks Morgan Braun Ramirez Gamel Gonzalez Lucroy Gomez. Easier than messing with the top of the order.

Probably helps Taylor Green out a little, given the fact that he's been working at 1st some.
I think Raw Biz is right in that this actually hurts Green's chances. Hart was to spell Gamel at first against tough lefties, and Green is also left-handed.

Have Aramis be the backup and when Aramis plays 1B and Gamel sits, you can have Green playing 3rd

That doesn't solve much since Gamel would be sitting vs. a tough lefty and the response would be to insert another young LH hitter into the lineup?

This might cement Brooks Conrad in as the BU IF since he is a switch hitter and according to the JS he has played some first (1.2 innings) and can be an emergency outfielder as well as emergency catcher. His being a switch hitter might give him the role over Taylor Green. Do we have any potential RH outfielders in camp besides Gomez? Schafer and Gindl are both Lefthanded (like Morgan and Aoki) and wouldn't necessarily fit the bill to spell Hart with a tough lefty on the mound.

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." - Bob Feller

Follow me @BrewerMoose

Aoki's splits are pretty even, so he'd be fine against LHP. The plan when Hart plays 1B is for him to play RF anyway. I could see Aoki playing everyday in RF, and the Gomez/Morgan platoon staying in CF. Gamel will likely just play everyday until Hart gets back. It will probably only be 10-15 games at most anyway.

The problem is, we have to trust that Roenicke will make the right decisions. I have zero faith in him to make the right line-up decisions. The crap he pulled throughout the season last year sickened me.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The problem is, we have to trust that Roenicke will make the right decisions. I have zero faith in him to make the right line-up decisions. The crap he pulled throughout the season last year sickened me.

Because we didn't end up winning 96 games? Eh?

Keep in mind that Mark Kotsay is no longer on the roster.

There were plenty of things Roenicke did that annoyed me last season (forgetting about Nyjer Morgan for like the first couple months of the season in particular), but he showed a willingness to learn and adjust as the season went on. 96 wins is 96 wins, however you slice it.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Another problem here is that now Gamel has no backup to start the season. He can play everyday, but I'm sure they'll want someone around just in case. Probably helps Taylor Green out a little, given the fact that he's been working at 1st some. Maybe they won't even bother keeping a 5th OF for the few weeks Hart will be out at the start of the season. My guess is Roenicke goes with Gomez and Morgan in the starting lineup in the 1 and 2 spots, and hits Weeks 5th until Hart returns.

It will probably be 2 weeks. I don't see how this affects the infield at all. What could Gamel do that you would want to bench him 2 weeks into the season?

Ishikawa would probably make the team and hopefully get 0 playing time until getting sent to AAA or whatever.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Archived