Brewer Fanatic

The real "Classy" has stood up

docduany

This was an article from JS Brewer Blog. To me, this is what's right about baseball (heck makes me feel better about humanity in general). Very, very classy Hawk.

Phoenix - Many of the departed veterans from last year’s squad are missed in the Brewers’ clubhouse. One of the most conscientious mentors was reliever LaTroy Hawkins, who signed as a free agent with the Los Angeles Angels.

Reliever Tim Dillard recalled a touching gesture by Hawkins as the Brewers arrived in New York last year for an interleague series against the Yankees.

“We were just pulling into the hotel and ‘Hawk’ called me up to the front of the bus,” said Dillard. “I didn’t know what was going on. I didn’t know if I was going to have to do (his) Harry Caray (impression) or what.

“He said, ‘Has anybody ever bought you a suit?’ I told him I couldn’t remember anybody doing it. So he took me across the street to this place the players like to go to and bought me a suit.

“It was unbelievable. Before we left, he had bought me two suits, four dress shirts and a couple of ties. Then, he said, ‘You know why I’m doing this? Because he did it for me.” And he points to this picture of Kirby Puckett hanging on the wall.”

It’s called paying it forward.

I know that many discount 'clubhouse chemistry', but I worry about the loss of guys like Hawkins, Kotsay and Counsell a bit in that aspect of things. Sveum also seemed like a 'grizzled teammate mentor' in that sense as well. Hopefully, some of the guys who've been here for awhile now will step in to fill this void.

but I worry about the loss of guys like Hawkins, Kotsay and Counsell

That's probably the biggest reason they kept Counsell around. From the "extend Greinke" thread, it sounds like he & Counsell are going scouting together, and I'm sure Counsell will spend a lot of his time around the players. Also, while I disagree with a lot of what Roenicke does, it seems that "clubhouse chemistry" is one of his strong points.

This is a good story about Hawkins. I know players only generally show up in the news for bad things they do and the money they make, so it's always nice to hear stories like this. It's why I like heading to Spring Training... sitting in the stands, you get a chance to talk with family members and realize that these guys on the field are real people and most of them are "good guys."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I know that many discount 'clubhouse chemistry', but I worry about the loss of guys like Hawkins, Kotsay and Counsell a bit in that aspect of things. Sveum also seemed like a 'grizzled teammate mentor' in that sense as well. Hopefully, some of the guys who've been here for awhile now will step in to fill this void.

Nowadays no one is more 'grizzled' than Ryan Braun

I was thinking this the day that he signed elsewhere. You could see in his tweets and the tweets of the other pitchers that he was a good clubhouse guy.

Archived