Brewer Fanatic

Yadier Molina Extension - 5 years $75 million

Career OPS of .707. This covers age 30-35. Huge overpay.

4 year trend says to expect an OPS of .750ish from him and Cs like this tend to peak late so he very well could sustain that or even improve on it. Still an overpay but not as bad as this would suggest.

4 year trend says to expect an OPS of .750ish from him and Cs like this tend to peak late so he very well could sustain that or even improve on it. Still an overpay but not as bad as this would suggest.

What do you mean catchers like him? It seems like a lot of catchers in their 30s need to move off being an everyday catcher.

What do you mean catchers like him? It seems like a lot of catchers in their 30s need to move off being an everyday catcher.

BaseballHQ has done a ton of work on trends of players skills as they age and one thing they discovered is that it is very common to see an age 30+ power spike from defense first catchers and when it happens they tend to sustain it.

BaseballHQ has done a ton of work on trends of players skills as they age and one thing they discovered is that it is very common to see an age 30+ power spike from defense first catchers and when it happens they tend to sustain it.

What happens to their OBP and defense? How many of them remain at C? The power spike makes a lot of sense.

Awesome. I love this. He's not that great, he's a hothead, and the Cards deserve him. Money extremely well spent by the Cards.

Amen. What a knee jerk response to losing Pujols, overspend on Molina. What's next a 10yr deal for Schumaker?

What happens to their OBP and defense? How many of them remain at C? The power spike makes a lot of sense.

OBP tends to stay pretty flat, I'd assume the defense slips but it is a fantasy site so they don't track that :).

Power spike I can buy but overall the best years are 30-35 for the most physically demanding position in baseball? That, not so much.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was thinking he'd get $10 million a so for four years. Seems like quite an overpay. $15 million annually just seems like too much. I think the guy is an exceptional player, but I don't know if they'll get their money out of this one.

I bet guys like Montero and Napoli are thanking the Cardinals for setting the catcher market that high. Both those guys should rake in huge contracts if they repeat their 2012 performances.

Archived